What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd5: Parra v Penrith GAME DAY thread 12/6/20

Mr Parramatta

Juniors
Both made one error, Jane conceded two penalties.

Evans offers way more in attack, but not a single human can convince me that Alvaro or Oregon don't offer more than Terepo.

Like, Oregon is a young gun and Alvaro is steady as shit. In a 21 minute stint Peni made zero tackle busts too, so that flimsy argument is dead. Even if he made one, is it even relevant in a 20 minute stint??
Agreed, so why does terepo continue being picked? I don’t understand, what is Arthur thinking?

Noise

Coach
You should need more than a kicking game as an attacking weapon to be considered for origin. You need to lead to take advantage of Cleary’s limited strengths. With Moses you’re in the game unless you’re getting belted. With his improved defence, it’s not going to be his fault you’re getting belted. It’s a no brainer for mine. Moses should be a lock at 7, Pearce and Keary battle it out at 6, Wighton and Turbo in the centres and Teddy at fullback. I can’t see QLD coming close to that backline, and we should belt them in the forwards with Hass, Klemmer and Jake in the middle. Throw in Cook at hooker and the only position they have an advantage over us is on Fififa’s edge.
I also feel the 6 again rule suits Cleary's game less than before.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Cleary is a plodder....but at the same time I kind of feel like the club level plod makes him an Origin half, weirdly?

I'm not sure whether I'd pick him, but for me he's a relatively good defender (normally, he was AWFUL tonight), takes punishment, runs the footy and kicks well even when his side is under the pump.

He's boring as f**k but to steer a side in an Origin game I don't know that there's a better option? Then you put Keary at six for the spark (and the synergy of names, obviously)
The thing is though, we should be looking to dominate QLD this year. We have a superior forward pack and backline. Cleary in the halves evens things out. Moses and probably Keary in the halves and we should belt them.

Dibs

Bench
You should need more than a kicking game as an attacking weapon to be considered for origin. You need to lead to take advantage of Cleary’s limited strengths. With Moses you’re in the game unless you’re getting belted. With his improved defence, it’s not going to be his fault you’re getting belted. It’s a no brainer for mine. Moses should be a lock at 7, Pearce and Keary battle it out at 6, Wighton and Turbo in the centres and Teddy at fullback. I can’t see QLD coming close to that backline, and we should belt them in the forwards with Hass, Klemmer and Jake in the middle. Throw in Cook at hooker and the only position they have an advantage over us is on Fififa’s edge.
The only lock I’d have in the halves is Keary. I think the other 3 are fighting for the second spot.

Bazal

Post Whore
Agreed, so why does terepo continue being picked? I don’t understand, what is Arthur thinking?

I couldn't say. Pretty likely it's just that there's currently no NSW Cup so it's hard to change a winning side?

Weird times. Alvaro especially will be fuming NSW Cup is cancelled, he was on a massive mission round one.

Bazal

Post Whore
The thing is though, we should be looking to dominate QLD this year. We have a superior forward pack and backline. Cleary in the halves evens things out. Moses and probably Keary in the halves and we should belt them.

I dunno.

Moses and Keary are very similar IMO. I do like the guy who can stoically get you out of a tight spot at that level, a la Hodkinson.

Can Moses or Keary? By November, maybe they can.

hindy111

Post Whore
Yep he has no heads up footy about him. You tell him to do something and he’ll do it. That doesn’t score points in origin.

Cleary was actualy very good tonight. I reckon he steered the team around well. First game in what 3 or 4 mths. And only had a handfull of games as the leading half with Maloney gone.

I rate Moses better. Also Brown. But it isn't night and day. I reckon over the next 10yrs there will be season where Nathan may be close to as good.

Keary and Pierce as halves or Moses and Cleary. Very close.

hindy111

Post Whore
I'd like to see Qld side. They do have some hot young talent but the forward pack could get murdered.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Cleary was actualy very good tonight. I reckon he steered the team around well. First game in what 3 or 4 mths. And only had a handfull of games as the leading half with Maloney gone.

I rate Moses better. Also Brown. But it isn't night and day. I reckon over the next 10yrs there will be season where Nathan may be close to as good.

Keary and Pierce as halves or Moses and Cleary. Very close.
Ammmmmmmmmbush!!!!!!!!!

Happy MEel

First Grade
I dunno.

Moses and Keary are very similar IMO. I do like the guy who can stoically get you out of a tight spot at that level, a la Hodkinson.

Can Moses or Keary? By November, maybe they can.
Did you watch tonight’s game? That was as close to origin intensity as I’ve seen this season.

Bazal

Post Whore
Did you watch tonight’s game?

I sure did, which you clearly know. Cleary was plod.

But he was plod cos he was boring and uncreative. His kicking game was fine. I don't get "Origin player" from Moses either.

All I'm saying is I weirdly feel like Cleary suits the way Origin is played (and refereed) more than he suits club footy. And the NSW halves options are good but not great. We've got until November to find a better option, which will never be Mitch Pearce.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Gus was so over the top in commentary. My God his back stories on every Penrith player is cringeworthy and his Nostradamus predictions are pure balderdash. He was spruking 200 words a minute up until the 63rd minute then he went very quiet. Please Nine, dont let Mr Ego into the commentary box when The Pennys are playing.