What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

flippikat

Bench
Just a question that occured to me with the possible 2nd Brisbane team coming soon..

If the 2nd Brisbane team plays out of Suncorp Stadium, would the seating colour be changed to something more club-neutral?

Currently the seats are a mix of maroon and gold, which reflected not just the Broncos but also Qld Origin (remember when they had a bit of gold in their jersey trim?).. but with Qld moving back towards just maroon and white, and the Broncos maybe being joined by another club in residence, maybe it's time to make that change?

flippikat

Bench
Not a chance, would be a waste of money. Something they wont get any return on.

Maybe change the seats colour as they get to the end of their life? If they have a natural "don't use after xx years" timeframe...

That way, it's no extraordinary cost, just changing the colour specification of any pre-planned replacement.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Maybe change the seats colour as they get to the end of their life? If they have a natural "don't use after xx years" timeframe...

That way, it's no extraordinary cost, just changing the colour specification of any pre-planned replacement.

When Suncorp was first developed the upper level of the west, south and north stands were blocks of grey tones. I wished the whole stadium had just grey seats, I am not really into patterns myself.

I don't think they finished replacing all of the seats to the current pattern till about 2010, so I think the pattern will stay for a while.

https://foundagardens.com/assets/cache/accommodation-close-to-suncorp-stadium-brisbane-800x600cy.jpg

beave

Coach
When Suncorp was first developed the upper level of the west, south and north stands were blocks of grey tones. I wished the whole stadium had just grey seats, I am not really into patterns myself.

I don't think they finished replacing all of the seats to the current pattern till about 2010, so I think the pattern will stay for a while.

https://foundagardens.com/assets/cache/accommodation-close-to-suncorp-stadium-brisbane-800x600cy.jpg

Weren’t the grey seats just transplanted from the lower bowl of the western stand so that the whole lower bowl was the one pattern once the stadium was finished?

Jpw251

Juniors
I meant in the AFL states. We don’t have leagues clubs. In fact we hardly have any similar clubs Bowling Clubs or RSLs compared to NSW. Clubs are not really a thing in Victoria. We have pubs, restaurants and bars.

You never said that in your original post you thugby twig.

Heisenberg

Juniors
I meant in the AFL states. We don’t have leagues clubs. In fact we hardly have any similar clubs Bowling Clubs or RSLs compared to NSW. Clubs are not really a thing in Victoria. We have pubs, restaurants and bars.

This isn’t entirely accurate. They do exist down here, though there certainly isn’t the huge number of clubs like in NSW, QLD, ACT. Most AFL clubs in Melbourne do own clubs and pokies venues They just aren’t dressed up as community clubs, just straight up gambling dens

T-Boon

Coach
The NRL cant afford to buy stadiums but I think they should invest in large temporary grandstands (2000 seats) similar to what the Supercars have. They could reconfigure ANZ and SCG to look a lot better with a few thousand seats put up in the right place.

Pommy

Coach
The NRL cant afford to buy stadiums but I think they should invest in large temporary grandstands (2000 seats) similar to what the Supercars have. They could reconfigure ANZ and SCG to look a lot better with a few thousand seats put up in the right place.

how would having a 2000 seater temporary stand make an 80000 seater stadium with 12k people in it look better?
As for using them at the SCG, how is that going to work when AFL is played there as well? Even if roosters and swans alternated weekends there’s no profit to be had putting them up and down every other week.

T-Boon

Coach
how would having a 2000 seater temporary stand make an 80000 seater stadium with 12k people in it look better?

Way to load the question....
If the seating at ANZ wasn't all so far away and crap you would get better crowds than 12k.
If they cant reconfigure the stadium then move the ground up to one end opening room at the other end for a 1,000 seat bleacher stand which also is a lot closer to the field. Cheap family seats have jumping castles, food stands etc etc out the back of the bleacher stand.

Even if you don't agree with putting up a temporary stadium at one end it still makes sense in my opinion to move the ground 10 metres towards one of the ends and 5 metres closer to one of the sides. Instead of each end being garbage seating that is too far away at least have one end that is 10 metres closer and the other empty end that is an extra 10 metres away can just be used for advertisements or whatever.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the seating at ANZ wasn't all so far away and crap you would get better crowds than 12k.
If they cant reconfigure the stadium then move the ground up to one end opening room at the other end for a 1,000 seat bleacher stand which also is a lot closer to the field. Cheap family seats have jumping castles, food stands etc etc out the back of the bleacher stand.

Even if you don't agree with putting up a temporary stadium at one end it still makes sense in my opinion to move the ground 10 metres towards one of the ends and 5 metres closer to one of the sides. Instead of each end being garbage seating that is too far away at least have one end that is 10 metres closer and the other empty end that is an extra 10 metres away can just be used for advertisements or whatever.

or clubs could stop playing there and play at the two state of the art modern rectangular Sydney stadiums with great fan and corporate facilities?

unforgiven

Bench

I don't really think that will work

flippikat

Bench
but,but,but tribalism.....

Exactly. The same old rusty argument, when the real solution is to centralise stadia into 2-3 top spec, decent capacity grounds, and lobby hard for decent spend on public transport to make getting to & from those stadia easy - no matter where you live.

The spinoff of that is that a better PT system makes it easier to get to ANYTHING, not just footy games.

But no, every damn suburb needs a top-tier league team playing in that suburb, because tradition.