What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unpopular Opinion

JJ

Immortal
(I hate seeing stuff like this because it sticks in my brain and won't go away until I've worked it out!)

Simon made his debut in Round 16 2005 and played his last match in the 2018 finals. He played 301 matches out of a possible 333.

We won 141 of the 301 matches Simon played, so a win rate of 46.8%.

We won 12 of the 32 matches Simon missed, so a win rate of 37.5%.

So based on all that, our winning percentage dropped 20% when Simon wasn't there.
The Lion was wrong? Say it ain’t so...

Diesel

Referee
If you can't be inspired by what Roger does every week to pull finger yourself then the problem isn't him.

We had similar issues with shit teams with Mannering. Again, if you couldn't be inspired by what he did each week, what would you be inspired by?

It's not like the captain is the only person who is allowed to lead the team. Other teams have multiple leaders, it isn't always the captain rallying people. But we are devoid of leadership. We're not too dissimilar to the Broncos in that way.

Nobody on the team is going to suddenly get their shit together because someone like Green is talking to them. The refs aren't either.

I wouldn't necessarily be against taking the captaincy from him, if we had a legitimate candidate to replace him. But we don't. We don't even have someone who would kind of be a good replacement.
Money can’t be that much of an incentive.
The majority of the team are PI players or Maori, what inspires them? I thought it would be family, team mates, pride

Diesel

Referee
The only other player in our team that is captain worthy is Tohu.

RTS is not the problem, it’s the guy in charge that isn’t dropping players for poor performances on the field. The ones that aren’t up to it, making the same errors or not putting in, have no incentive to improve because they’re getting picked each week.

RTS can only inspire if those around him want to be inspired

Rich102

Staff member
Agree.
I think it comes down to a desire to win.
I remember reading that John Monie was pissed off at the players for singing in the plane on the way home from the Warriors second-round loss to Illawarra in 1995. He thought they shouldn't be taking the loss so lightly.

The players have 26 games a year to prove how good they are. Any loss is a strike against you.
The players concentrate too much on games played - we should concentrate on games won.
A career of 150 games sounds impressive; what if it read 35 wins?

Wiki is a fan of Kava parties. Kidwell of Iwi Kiwi.
Campion showed them both what pride in your performance counted for.
For top teams no loss is acceptable.

The players have to be accountable.
Too many of ours, once they leave here, will never play another game of NRL.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I’ll concede that there is a lot to the role which I just cannot see.

But yeah- last night, we looked like we were without leadership last night.

The challenge was frustratingly shit. So many questionable decisions from the ref and RTS gets his arm twisted by a rookie (presumably) to make a boneheaded challenge.

The refs don’t respect him. Not as a captain. He’s an easy night for them.

Also, Kearney sucks, but RTS is a part of that leadership structure too. Why do we lambast Kearney and deify RTS?

who else? Not sure. And I get that this is an important question. At this stage, I am just pointing out the problem, not offering a solution.

Because Kearney has put together a sub-par squad, our attack is absolutely diabolical, he's just a shit coach. RTS is a wonderful player. He's an example to the others even if they don't want to follow. And we did go to the finals under his captaincy the first year, so he's not awful. I feel bad for him but I don't think he ever set out to be a captain. In an ideal world he'd just be one of the world's best setting an example through training and in-game effort, but in our squad we are completely devoid of leaders. And a lot of us think we appointed him as captain so he didn't bugger off to rugby.

Rich102

Staff member
NRL commentator and former coach Phil Gould has blasted the New Zealand Warriors saying the club should be in the top four every year but face another 25 years of pain.

Gould was responding to a tweet after Australian media reported yesterday that Sharks prop Toby Rudolf was set to do a backflip on his new deal with the Warriors which begins next season.

A fan asked Gould, who won two titles as a coach, how he would help the Warriors turn things around.

"After 25 years, the Warriors really should be the strongest club in the NRL. Should be regular top 4. It's a whole country. Unless someone starts now, we will be saying the same thing in another 25 years," Gould tweeted yesterday.

The Warriors currently sit 14th on the NRL table with one win from four games after being blanked for the second time in 2020 when they were defeated 26-0 by the Panthers last Friday.

It's not the first time Gould has shared his views on the Warriors' progress since their inaugural season in 1995.

Two years ago when the club won their first five games to start the season, Gould told Channel 9 that it was finally the changing of the Warriors.

"When people ask you every year how the Warriors are going to do, you sort of smirk a little bit and say 'Oh yeah, they've got potential if they got themselves fit and got themselves organised and learn the game a little bit better," Gould said at the time.

"This is what we feared the Warriors could be. Now if this goes on to be a part of the culture of the club for the next 10 years, they could produce anything. Absolutely anything. And what they've done is wasted the last 25 years, or however how long they've been in the competition because they've never got their heads around what really needed to be done. "

Following that dream start to the 2018 season, the Warriors finished eighth before losing their first playoff appearance since 2011.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=12338947

Rich102

Staff member
Gould is the bloke who should be doing the Warriors end-of-season review.

Meth

Staff member
That would be valid if there weren’t scouts from every other club at grounds around the country

Rich102

Staff member
That wouldn't count for too much if the Warriors were a more attractive destination.

Meth

Staff member
Nevertheless, the idea that we have exclusive rights to our NZ nursery (as Gould is inferring) is a fallacy.

Rich102

Staff member
"After 25 years, the Warriors really should be the strongest club in the NRL. Should be regular top 4. It's a whole country. Unless someone starts now, we will be saying the same thing in another 25 years," Gould tweeted yesterday.

Nobody talks about exclusivity. He simply points we have the largest catchment area.
Whether we use it or not is another matter.
The feeling on here was that we should be recruiting more from Australia. (Which we appear to be doing.)

JJ

Immortal
Nevertheless, the idea that we have exclusive rights to our NZ nursery (as Gould is inferring) is a fallacy.
Same is said about Broncos

Warriors should have (by now) established themselves as a club that can develop talent and is where kids want to be... they haven’t

Matua

Bench
What's dumb about that? It is the New Zealand Warriors.
What Meth has said above, also the fact that league isn't the most popular sport in the country so isn't getting the benefit of the entire countries sporting talent and despite the name the team is Auckland based.

There's lots of good complaints about the Warriors, this one is just silly.

Big Marn

Juniors
I think thats an oversimplication. The Warriors have the same issue as the Australian clubs in that we have to compete with other codes that are more popular. I think AFL and Soccer are the most popular codes in Australia. We have Rugby as the most popular code in NZ. Kids have other options besides league. Plus as has been mentioned, we also get Aussie league clubs poaching talent. Unless the kid likes living in Auckland surrounded by family, Aussie clubs are probably are more attractive options. And I am sure the kids parents havent been living in a cave and are well aware of the dysfunction of our club and the rubbish coaching the players get. Its hard to sell the Warriors to local talent unless certain motivations are being met. (like Katoas for example)

JJ

Immortal
What Meth has said above, also the fact that league isn't the most popular sport in the country so isn't getting the benefit of the entire countries sporting talent and despite the name the team is Auckland based.

There's lots of good complaints about the Warriors, this one is just silly.
league's not the most popular sport anywhere... (admittedly it depends on how you define "most popular")

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
league's not the most popular sport anywhere... (admittedly it depends on how you define "most popular")

It is in much of Queensland and most places in NSW. Soccer might have a claim based on junior numbers in some areas, but AFL isn’t close and Rugby is dying here except maybe in the private schools