What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons To Break Away From Illawarra.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Good luck with that. I still remember the SOS at the leagues club where 100 turned upwith banners and signs to get rid of Doust.
Doust still lingers on................
I wish you well in your endeavours
The original Save Our Saints meeting took place in 1995. It was packed to the rafters. Well before Doust. It actually resulted in the then CEO Geoff Carr being chased out of town.

BLM01

First Grade
The original Save Our Saints meeting took place in 1995. It was packed to the rafters. Well before Doust. It actually resulted in the then CEO Geoff Carr being chased out of town.
That was one but not the Doust one organised.. you remember that one don’t you Willow
But least back in 1995 the SOS we’re not trying to get rid of the coach we had a decent coach and football side then
I did not go but he didn’t have anything to do with moving towards super league

piesplusreturns

Juniors
morans.jpg

thebigredv

First Grade
Like most St George supporters, with some resignation I followed the merge club without much drama. It was a logical fit and they were culling at the time.

We had star players but not the coach and manager. Enter Wayne Bennett....fast forward a few years...

At first for me it was about the coach they call mary.

I gave him almost 2 seasons to prove his ability and it became abundantly clear he was out of his depth.

Now as the board have backed themselves into a corner some true colours are coming out and there is some pretty clear signs of friction between both side of merger. Where is the proper jersey for one?

I have lost my patience and maybe have lost sight of the actual problem though nothing is transparent at the club. I just feel we need a clean slate and some pride back.

St George don't accept mediocrity - never. Illawarra do.

I signed that petition going round without hesitation.

TruSaint

Referee
Like most St George supporters, with some resignation I followed the merge club without much drama. It was a logical fit and they were culling at the time.

We had star players but not the coach and manager. Enter Wayne Bennett....fast forward a few years...

At first for me it was about the coach they call mary.

I gave him almost 2 seasons to prove his ability and it became abundantly clear he was out of his depth.

Now as the board have backed themselves into a corner some true colours are coming out and there is some pretty clear signs of friction between both side of merger. Where is the proper jersey for one?

I have lost my patience and maybe have lost sight of the actual problem though nothing is transparent at the club. I just feel we need a clean slate and some pride back.

St George don't accept mediocrity - never. Illawarra do.

I signed that petition going round without hesitation.

Fair enough. Its your right to do so.

Honest question, do you believe Saints can stand alone ?

possm

Coach
Won't happen, NRL needs less teams in NSW not more.
The NRL do not have to admit Illawarra into the NRL, they can be a Canterbury Cup team and a feeder club to the St George Dragons. So no increase in Sydney Clubs.

The Illawarra district has always been supported by St George and there is no reason to change. By merging other clubs, although politically very difficult, there would be less divide within districts of Sydney, a larger demographic for each NRL Club and an increased opportunity to expand the game of rugby league.

If Canterbury merged with Wests and Parramatta merged with Penrith and Easts merged with Souts and Manly merged with a Gosford Club and dare I say it, St George merged with Cronulla, then there would be plenty of scope to expand the NRL presence in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific.

While I am at it, in my opinion, the NRL should set up a governance template for all NRL Clubs. Adherance to this template should be a criteria for gaining a franchise licence. Share ownership can be of many configurations however, paid membership of a club, and the annual election of Board members by financial members should be key policy.

If we split, does the NRL need a team in Sydney or one in Southern NSW? They already have 8 others in Sydney and the NRL is now run by someone with business sense.

If we split St George become Newtown, not the Broncos.
Totally agree. The NRL are not going to give up the whole NSW south coast region.

This us and them mentality does nothing for the joint venture. Be careful what you wish for

Coffs dragon

Bench
We don’t need to break away from the Illawarra region.
All us our supporters just need a clean break from the current useless Coach and give us something to cheer for.
A clean out of the Board of Directors would be the next priority to take us forward and not simply sink.

Latest posts