What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons To Break Away From Illawarra.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I wouldn’t want to split. Teams go through these periods, this to me is a cleansing year. Almost like the recession we had to have. I think when the dust settles we will be a stronger club. I’m just going to keep supporting them and hope we don’t lose too many players. And maybe jag the odd win.

possm

Coach
I wouldn’t want to split. Teams go through these periods, this to me is a cleansing year. Almost like the recession we had to have. I think when the dust settles we will be a stronger club. I’m just going to keep supporting them and hope we don’t lose too many players. And maybe jag the odd win.
Surely you can see Gordon's attitude toward Mary and what he is doing He represents a half-owner of SGI and supports a totally incompetent head coach. There will be no change while he is chairman and no way to clean out the Board while ever the current structure is in place. There are those who want to divde and share the St George juniors among clubs like Canterbury, Souths and Cronulla. It would suit them fine if SGI became Illawarra.

However, just cast your mind back just a decade or so and try to remember the basket case Illawarra were in, even with the hefty sponsorship of Port Kembla steel.

Since WIN Corp / Gordons' buy out of Illawarra shares, the annual financial contribution from them and the St George Leagues Club has decreased and SGI have plummeted to the bottom of the NRL ladder. We most certainly selected the wrong partner and one day the corruption regarding this decision will be exposed.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Surely you can see Gordon's attitude toward Mary and what he is doing He represents a half-owner of SGI and supports a totally incompetent head coach. There will be no change while he is chairman and no way to clean out the Board while ever the current structure is in place. There are those who want to divde and share the St George juniors among clubs like Canterbury, Souths and Cronulla. It would suit them fine if SGI became Illawarra.

However, just cast your mind back just a decade or so and try to remember the basket case Illawarra were in, even with the hefty sponsorship of Port Kembla steel.

Since WIN Corp / Gordons' buy out of Illawarra shares, the annual financial contribution from them and the St George Leagues Club has decreased and SGI have plummeted to the bottom of the NRL ladder. We most certainly selected the wrong partner and one day the corruption regarding this decision will be exposed.
I agree Win Corp hasn’t been the best partner. I’m not sure if there is some sort of long term plan that we are all unaware of but we need Illawarra juniors. Bruce Gordon isn’t going to live forever, and Win Corp may sell their share at some point but I still think we are stronger together than either club alone.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
It’s a sad when people want someone dead so that they might be able cheer on their team..

blue bags

First Grade
FIRE UP DRAGONS , oust doust, G S T . supersowie,
get out of my weyman . tinga express
GAZ your playing with fire

thebigredv

First Grade
Fair enough. Its your right to do so.

Honest question, do you believe Saints can stand alone ?

What Saints?

Red V - barely sighted
Kogarah - loaned the Sharks
Win at all costs or die trying attitude - gone
Loyalty and Pride in being a Dragon - no longer

If the last 5 years is a projection of the future then there is no Saints.

In answer to your question. No, won't be easy but look what Souths did. Some things are bigger than money.

TruSaint

Referee
What Saints?

Red V - barely sighted
Kogarah - loaned the Sharks
Win at all costs or die trying attitude - gone
Loyalty and Pride in being a Dragon - no longer

If the last 5 years is a projection of the future then there is no Saints.

In answer to your question. No, won't be easy but look what Souths did. Some things are bigger than money.

I asked the question as the petition is for St george to go it alone.
Granted Souths did come back, but they realised success once money from Crowe and his then partner was made available.
St george cant rely on the Leagues Club any more.
With less teams in Sydney being on the NRL's radar, I cant see St George sustainable on its own.

Old Timer

Coach
The Illawarra die hard should be supporting StG to leave the JV

Having the Gordon’s as benefactors should ensure unbridled success for them why would they need St G for anything.

I think the Illawarra due hard in here should get their own petition going to speed up the process.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
See right now we have a great opportunity for change.

By uniting in a common voice, we could be highlighting to V’Landys just how the current management have ruined the club.

How they’re losing fans & members.

How they’re not capitalising on the key population growth area for NSW.

How through better governance they could utilise the dragons brand to grow the game interstate, as there are a lot of fans both north and south of NSW.

The NRL are clearly looking to expand the footprint of the game, and we already have the fans & the brand in place to do that.

A rational, fact based message that could unify the fan base and get us speaking as one loud, strong voice.

Instead we see junk like “BrIng BaCk SaTin GoErGe CuZ IlLaWaRrA iZ cRaP”

hazzbeen

Bench
I asked the question as the petition is for St george to go it alone.
Granted Souths did come back, but they realised success once money from Crowe and his then partner was made available.
St george cant rely on the Leagues Club any more.
With less teams in Sydney being on the NRL's radar, I cant see St George sustainable on its own.
Lets can St george illawarra altogether , bring back THE BEARS .....

Willow

Assistant Moderator
That was one but not the Doust one organised.. you remember that one don’t you Willow
But least back in 1995 the SOS we’re not trying to get rid of the coach we had a decent coach and football side then
I did not go but he didn’t have anything to do with moving towards super league
There's been a few. I was referring to the one that changed things.

possm

Coach
But now he’s back.. In arguably a more powerful position than before..

Peter “Palpatine” Doust
In my opinion Doust would have to be the worst thing that ever happened to SGI. The deal with WIN Corp / Gordons' would have to be a close second. In time a deailed record of this event will be published.

Illawarra was once part of the St George system and received plenty of support from the St George Club. Same goes for Cronulla or Cronulla Southerland has they used to be known. These clubs seperated from St George with the encouragement of other ARL clubs with the aim of evening up the competition. 11 years in a row was too much for many of them.

St George did their bit when taking on the Steelers who were struggling in order to help the NRL reduce the number of clubs in the competition. So like with Balmain/Western Suburbs and Manly Warringah / North Sydney, there has been a big struggle trying to make these ventures work.

St George has done all it can for the Illwarra club even when it come to finding a new partner. It would have been more lucrative and benificial for St George to just go with the highest bidder. They just needed to call in the Illawarra debt and assume ownership of Illwarra's shares as payment in full. From there on we could have had an arms-length relationship with the junior clubs of the Illawarra or a direct relationship with the Illawarra club as a feeder club to St George.

It is clear that the Board chaired by Gordon is not acting in the best interest of SGI and by so doing, are causing this club to fail. The NRL should act to address this problem immediately by introducing rules that make SGI a club with the NRL licence and a paid membership would have voting rights at all Board General Meetings. I'd say this is the least the NRL should do in regognition for the support we provided to the NRL.

Latest posts