What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hopeless

Knight Dragon

Juniors
My sources tell me if Flanno can somehow be allowed to coach full time again this year then Mary would be out the door.

No point getting the geriatric Bennett back, how old is the merkin now? 75 lol

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
What I don't get, I may be naive, is the salary cap. It seems there are have's and have not's. Roosters and Melbourne and others seem to recruit at will. Others nearer the lower levels of the competition don't seem to be able to. The English premier soccer league, don't as far as I am aware have a salary cap and the same four or five teams win every year. Does the salary cap work or is it being exploited? i guess no system is perfect. The Dragons certainly are not one of the teams that benefit by it, I suppose a player like Hunt takes up a fair chunk.
I’m not a salary cap expert but from what I understand the third party payments are on top of the cap. I have no doubt the Roosters are rorting the cap and just know how to get away with it. There are 3 things that will make a player sign with a club. 1.Money 2.Location 3.Winning culture at the Roosters they have all three. If we want to be successful we need to do what Canberra and Newcastle did which is pay overs for a couple of players and hope they come good. Newcastle got Ponga and at the time paid I think 700k or more as a teenager and bit by bit other players started coming backed up by some good local juniors where now they look a good shot of winning a gf a players like Friz go there. Raiders did the same with the poms, no one wants to come live In Canberra they want to live in Bondi so they got done country boys and tough poms and now they can attract players like Curtis Scott. We tried it with Ben Hunt and to be fair he’d just come off a GF but it just wasn’t to be.

piesplusreturns

Juniors
f**k off Flanno. As if you would take on board any advice Goose Gould gave you. Goose looks after one guy - Goose.

Sack everyone, bring in Hook and give him total control of football operations.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I didn’t say Flange was the man for the job, just stating what I’d heard.
Honestly anyone other than Mary would be better now, it’s dragged on that long.
Hopefully they stay firm on him. He’s going to be no better. Our team is nowhere near the team that won the gf for them. He’s a sideways trade to me and a guaranteed 3-4 more years of pain.

possm

Coach
Do you want Bennett or Flanno?
Bennett has again said that he will remain at Souths however, I'm sure that if Souths let him go and the Dragons offered a two to three year deal, Bennett would come over tho sort thing out.

Flanagan is suspended until the end of season 2022 however if the NRL reduced his suspension by one season on he condition he would remain on his current salary, then he would be a good second option.

I am sure that there are other available options however, I believe if Dean Young was appointed, it would be a backward step and surely seen by fans as another 'job for the boys'.

possm

Coach
What I don't get, I may be naive, is the salary cap. It seems there are have's and have not's. Roosters and Melbourne and others seem to recruit at will. Others nearer the lower levels of the competition don't seem to be able to. The English premier soccer league, don't as far as I am aware have a salary cap and the same four or five teams win every year. Does the salary cap work or is it being exploited? i guess no system is perfect. The Dragons certainly are not one of the teams that benefit by it, I suppose a player like Hunt takes up a fair chunk.
  1. I'd say the salary cap could work if it were tweaked to be fairer:
  2. Make it so that all third party payments must be approved by a committee comprised of a representative of the NRL, a representative of the Players Association and the player's manager.
  3. I see the third party scheme as being part of the player's contract with his manager with no relationship to a particular club. This payment scheme should be sponsored by National entities. Promoting National product and services mean that no matter which club the player is playing with, marketing would be unchanged.
  4. No other employment or payments are to be paid to players unless approved by the NRL.
  5. Third-party payments to a particular player is not to exceed $1m per year.
  6. There will be a maximum of 4 marquee players per club.
  7. Tenders to belong to such a third-party sponsorhip scheme, together with a player grading list produced by the NRL would also help with determining the salary value of a player and with only marquee player participation e.g.:
  8. Level 3 player - 1 to 2 years playing up to 50% of scheduled NRL games - $201k - 300k
  9. Level 2 players- more than 3 years playing at least 50% and up to 75% of scheduled NRL games or gaining SOO or International selection. - $301k to 600k
  10. Level 1 (marquee) players - more than 4 years playing at least 80% of scheduled NRL games or gaining SOO or International selection. - $601k to $1m
  11. Of course, the above criteria would be reviewed periodically by the NRL.

Pablooo

Juniors
Don't get the Bennett thing. He's 100 years old and past his best. Maybe as an advisor or mentor, but we should be looking to the future.

Bennett brings credibility when signing players, he is his own man and won’t pander to the faceless power junkies in cheap suits and he has a simple game plan that is designed to re build confidence within the squad. He may not be a Bellyache or Robbo but he is exactly what the Red V need now!

Latest posts