What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The state of rugby league since restart

Big Salad

Juniors
It was noticeable in the Broncos-Manly game that the ref was calling held very early, when the players were being held up by defenders, and even when they still may have had potential to find an offload. He even warned the Broncos at one point not to keep taking them to ground after he had called held. A lot of the held calls seemed a couple of seconds premature, including the one that resulted in the strip penalty to win the game.

Diesel

Referee
The game is the best it has been for years. Stop the whinging and enjoy it. if you want to see shit, watch union which is wanting to change the rules to be like RL, or the AFL which is shortening their quarters so people don’t have to endure their garbage so much

Dark Corner

Juniors
Fatigue is actually coming into rugby league which is what the game has been crying out for.For the past 20 years, halves with decent talent have been absolutely bashed out of this game. Fatigue is the great equalizer which allows the little guys to do their thing. I am loving rugby league even though my tigers are struggling.
I wonder Rugby Union will be again copying TGG

big hit!

Bench
Rugby League has officially gone soft. What we have now is basically touch footy. A slightly tougher version of touch anyhow.
I for one have now boycotted The NRL this year. Yes my team is an absolute rabble but I can’t work out how the referees are adjudicating the game anymore.

Surely I’m not the only one that is frustrated with what’s going on?

I agree to an extent.

Can anyone, apart from the ref on the field, tell what every set restart infringement is?

Seems as though are just concerned about the entertainment value of continuous play without any substance or knowledge as to how it is happening

Knight Dragon

Juniors
I agree to an extent.

Can anyone, apart from the ref on the field, tell what every set restart infringement is?

Seems as though are just concerned about the entertainment value of continuous play without any substance or knowledge as to how it is happening
Exactly, good post.

BadnMean

Juniors
It's good. I'm watching more "neutral" games as a result.

The speed of games is slightly quicker. Somewhere between "old" NRL & Superleague- and not all games are the same, but the spectrum has shifted up.

Teams will get fitter- lockdown was not ideal prep- and the "set again" will become just a little bit more defendable.

The blowouts... could probably be remedied somewhat by switching which team receives after points. Just to get the ball for a spell. Either Scorer kicks or alternate from the kick off. It's not a necessary change, just an idea.

Who gets the extra set & when is still a total mystery, not really consistent. I noticed the Eels constantly leaving a hand on the shoulder of the player getting up to play the ball- looks casual but just pushing him down to slow/tilt him off & allow them to crowd the ptb enough to ensure he has to do a really slow, careful placement of the ball or drop it.

I had a quick word with Pete, he's lookig into it.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/we...being-considered-for-nrl-20200613-p552ae.html

Knight Dragon

Juniors
Why couldn’t they just say to the coaches that if they’re side wants to wrestle other then play Rugby League that they’ll be penalised accordingly?? Not this stupid set restart bullshit. Hence why I say the inconsistency with the dumb ass referees is going to be just as bad if not worse as the comp goes on

T-Boon

Coach
Why couldn’t they just say to the coaches that if they’re side wants to wrestle other then play Rugby League that they’ll be penalised accordingly?? Not this stupid set restart bullshit. Hence why I say the inconsistency with the dumb ass referees is going to be just as bad if not worse as the comp goes on

They tried to do that (not specifically with wrestle but with strictly applying the rules) a few years ago and everyone, especially commentators who have all the influence, went ape shit about big penalty counts and the slowing down of the game down.
We need to get rid of wrestling and this is one of the only ways of doing it. It will take a while but the immediate effect is more entertaining games while doing it your suggested way would mean bitching and moaning from a larger number of fans and commentators. You are right in that there is a concern about consistency. I think consistency is not would should be hoped for because it is close to impossible. All that should be hoped for is that refs are unbiased and doing their best. They went to one ref to try to make sure this was implemented fairly.

franklin2323

Immortal
So far so good. You can see the real drop off with teams once injuries hit. That started with no NYC but is really noticeable with no lower grades whatsoever.

That is what I put the blowouts down too.

T-Boon

Coach
I agree to an extent.

If you watch on Kayo you can scroll back a few seconds. They turn out to be correct obvious decisions every time.

magpie_man

Juniors

Spot On

Coach

Because our last leader caved into the media when a few whinged and bitched about the refs taking control of the WWE in the tackle.

I'll find the the thread we had on it - a few of the LU regulars whinged and bitched about it too.

Some will never be happy no matter what is done.

T-Boon

Coach
Some really good suggestions there, particularly the 2 x Captain's Challenges supplanting the Video Ref.
It should, conceivably, place more pressure on the Captains and release some from the Refs.
It may create an auxiliary strategic element onfield, as we saw with DCE the other night.
Love it.

I think if you want the challenge to take over the video ref/bunker it probably needs to be a coaches challenge. The bunker picks up a lot of stuff that the captain or other players wouldn't see. I also like the idea of forcing the coaches to be involved in the game.

Reactions: siv

TheRam

Coach
Better teams have adjusted to not giving away 6 again while still doing their wrestle

What warrants a 6 again

Will grow and grow over the coming weeks as it is very subjective

First 2 rounds were like 2 weeks of trials where players play 20-40 to 40-60 minutes normally due to lack of 80 minutes of fitness

This weekend I feel will be the first true indication of the effect of the new rules in regards to fatigue

The revised draw have also introduced a increase in 5 day turnarounds, which will have its own effect on games in the back 20

But I am seeing mobile bigger men are flourishing more than the little men who are looking like they are getting hammered

You just have to see Nikorima's game against the Cowboys to know that this isn't even close to being true. The guy probably had the best game I have ever seen from him in the NRL and he isn't the only littler bloke either enjoying similar results.

TheRam

Coach
The game is better. V'landys is outstanding. The refs union is looking dumber every week. Absolutely nothing has been lost and a lot has been gained by halving the number of refs. Every change he has made since getting in has been good.

And I say that as someone who thought he was crazy by aiming for such a quick return. Happy to put my handup and say I was wrong and PVL was right

I actually think he HAS stuffed up. He should of restarted the season 2 weeks earlier and added 2 more rounds to the season. This covid-19 death rate is nonsense. They are counting anyone with covid-19 that dies as a covid-19 death no mater what their original disease/affliction was.

That is unheard of in normal medical reporting. They don't do that for example for people that have cancer and catch the flu or pneumonia. What goes on the death certificate is death by what ever the cancer was and then secondary the flu or pneumonia. It makes a massive difference to the death rate if all the people that died with other conditions and had contacted covid-19 were taken out of the official statistics don't you think? That 102 deaths might actually be only down to around a handful or so instead.

Don't shoot the messenger.

TheRam

Coach
First we just have to investigate if he owned any slaves back in Greece

Not likely. Being Greek, he comes from a long line of peoples that were the slaves themselves under the Ottoman Empire for around 400 years. So erecting a statue in his honour is well justified because Greek Lives Matter.