What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darling harbour early 90s

Generalzod

Immortal
I lived in East Sydney from 1992 to early 1997 and was a regular at Harry's at the Loo and they had the hot dogs then , I would get one with mushy peas and cheese sauce, I'm 99% certain i was ordering the hot dogs even back in the mid 80s from the Loo site.
I was never a frequent visitor Wooloomooloo my brother he did his apprenticeship there at the dock yards...

Dark Corner

Juniors
I remember the NBA shop at Harbourside. I went there around 93 or 94 when NBA cards were all the rage. Got some Skybox, Upperdecks…
So Rugby League was at its peak from 1989-1995 and Union was doing okay but no money and AFL was pointless but why were Sydneysiders into a shit game like Basketball ?

mongoose

Coach
So Rugby League was at its peak from 1989-1995 and Union was doing okay but no money and AFL was pointless but why were Sydneysiders into a shit game like Basketball ?

Basketball was massive in the early and mid 90s, especially NBA. They showed the NBA game of the week on FTA TV's on saturdays, I think it was on Channel 10.

Parra

Referee
Basketball was massive in the early and mid 90s, especially NBA. They showed the NBA game of the week on FTA TV's on saturdays, I think it was on Channel 10.

Sydney Kings were one of the hottest tickets in town. Wollongong / Illawarra team was also booming and the national comp was popular. Then the game went pay-tv exclusive and that was that.

Matua

Bench
I got quite the shock a week ago as I was walking past and everything was shut up.

I would have gone to Hurricanes one more time if I'd have known when they were actually closing. My brain knows that the food is basically the same at whichever Hurricanes but I always preferred Darling Harbour to say the CQ branch.

I wonder if the Darling Square-Tumbalong Park-Darling Harbour-Barangaroo through line will ever not have construction while I'm living here.

horrie hastings

First Grade
There was a hotdog joint in the upstairs food court. I occasionally drove from Penrith to there just to get one of their New York Dogs.
I was thinking about the hot dog place today because i was craving a hot dog for lunch where i work but we have nowhere where we can get a hot dog in the centre.

I went to Harry's last week at Tempe and i usually order a hot dog there with mushy peas , cheese sauce and tomato sauce, the staff member there was a young kid with his training wheels on and i thought this is going to be pretty ordinary, honestly it was by far the best i have ever had from Harry's, it was so tasty, i really enjoyed it.

Generalzod

Immortal
I was thinking about the hot dog place today because i was craving a hot dog for lunch where i work but we have nowhere where we can get a hot dog in the centre.

I went to Harry's last week at Tempe and i usually order a hot dog there with mushy peas , cheese sauce and tomato sauce, the staff member there was a young kid with his training wheels on and i thought this is going to be pretty ordinary, honestly it was by far the best i have ever had from Harry's, it was so tasty, i really enjoyed it.
I occasionally drop in after visting my outlaws in Marrickville, I don't mind there pies I normally get a Tiger but their pies are bit peppery...

Matua

Bench

There's been a mini boom of hotdog places in the past year. But they're all really expensive though, I find it strange. The one in Central Park has already closed down I suspect due to their outrageous prices.

You're Marrickville right? If one does rock up there no doubt it will be one of the overpriced ones.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I occasionally drop in after visting my outlaws in Marrickville, I don't mind there pies I normally get a Tiger but their pies are bit peppery...

Yes i find the beef pies there quite peppery, if i have a pie its usually a chicken and mushroom pie with cheese sauce, but i find generally if i feel like something after a hot dog there i now usually order a sausage roll or a spinach and feta roll.

Generalzod

Immortal
Yes i find the beef pies there quite peppery, if i have a pie its usually a chicken and mushroom pie with cheese sauce, but i find generally if i feel like something after a hot dog there i now usually order a sausage roll or a spinach and feta roll.
I normally get my mother in law to make spinach feta pie, best Spinach pies in town she makes her own filo pastry awesome.

horrie hastings

First Grade
There's been a mini boom of hotdog places in the past year. But they're all really expensive though, I find it strange. The one in Central Park has already closed down I suspect due to their outrageous prices.

You're Marrickville right? If one does rock up there no doubt it will be one of the overpriced ones.

Yes, i work at Marrickville Metro, before the redevelopment there was a Donut King shop where i used to get a hot dog with cheese, mustard and tomato sauce for just over $5 but the shop wasn't part of the redevelopment plans so it closed about 18 months ago, it had been there for years.

Yes about the outrages prices being charged, there is a place in Newtown called Loaded by BL and they charge $14 for a basic hot dog and generally if you see a hot dog on a menu in a pub its between $14-$20, there is no way i would pay that price for one.
There was another place on the south end of King St Newtown near Alice St which marketed itself as an American Hot Dog place, i never checked out the prices but the place was lit up like a Christmas Tree when you walked past even during the day and the smell of stale fat oozed out of the place so i never went in, i actually never saw any one in shop when i went past apart from the staff, it only lasted about 9 months before closing, luckily now a decent Italian restaurant has gone in in its place.

Latest posts