What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player comments - need a rebuild

getsmarty

Immortal
Well I’m on record saying playing McInnes anywhere bar 9 is a disaster. Either he plays 80 or Brittain to the bench.

Agree but we are talking about McGregor....the club is imploding at the moment....I reckon he will try to re shuffle the side to accommodate either Saab or Sailor....I just cannot believe how bad things are........

HOWEVER, maybe this is what we need for significant change to occur.............

THE BOARD have backed themselves into a corner............hopefully we get flogged tomorrow and more pressure is applied to them.

hazzbeen

Bench
Agree but we are talking about McGregor....the club is imploding at the moment....I reckon he will try to re shuffle the side to accommodate either Saab or Sailor....I just cannot believe how bad things are........

HOWEVER, maybe this is what we need for significant change to occur.............

THE BOARD have backed themselves into a corner............hopefully we get flogged tomorrow and more pressure is applied to them.
Go the Sharkies yes it has come to this ....

possm

Coach
And just when we were getting closer to the facts ;)
You go and spoil it about pathways and kicking into Millward
Not saying he is the best person that we could possibly have nor the ease i agree he was appointed in roles like others in the club...job for the boys I agree
However having said all that Millward is doing an OK job with hands tied..you keep forgetting he cant change the non- or unattarctiveness of our club and 1st grade.
We had a better roster in 2018 thtat we had done for 5-6 years..and now the 1st grade coach and BOD is letting all that fall apart at the seams
Pathways have been created we have some great up and comers....
the road-block is not Millward it is the 1st-grade training. coaching
For example, pathways produced Field and Dufty who both clearly are not up to standard for first grade. At some time in their development, pathways should have identified their skill shorfalls e.g. taking the high ball and playing with poor defensive skills. I'd say their progression should have been held up until they rectified these deficiencies. So much more to say on this so this is just an example to illustrate my concerns.

getsmarty

Immortal
For example, pathways produced Field and Dufty who both clearly are not up to standard for first grade. At some time in their development, pathways should have identified their skill shorfalls e.g. taking the high ball and playing with poor defensive skills. I'd say their progression should have been held up until they rectified these deficiencies. So much more to say on this so this is just an example to illustrate my concerns.

that's all coaching....Name one player who McGregor has significantly improved ? I can name a few who he hasn't..........

BLM01

First Grade
What about the coaches and HPU that are responsible for coaching and improving those skill sets you talk about that is not Millwood’s role and that is a fact.
Millward provides progression opportunities through the grades identifying the talent And who stays or goes through that progression
he identifies and tries to retain our best talent and fill voids aired by club high performance staff and coaches
I know I’m beating my head against a brick wall explaining it to you....but I thought I would keep trying....one-day
As I said he’s not the best out there but if you look at our talent and how is try to build a roster for a numbnut coach within the rules and Restrictions our club offer he Has a pass mark
But on the other hand I would be happy to see Nathan Brown take over his role As I think he would do even a better job

getsmarty

Immortal
What about the coaches and HPU that are responsible for coaching and improving those skill sets you talk about that is not Millwood’s role and that is a fact.
Millward provides progression opportunities through the grades identifying the talent And who stays or goes through that progression
he identifies and tries to retain our best talent and fill voids aired by club high performance staff and coaches
I know I’m beating my head against a brick wall explaining it to you....but I thought I would keep trying....one-day
As I said he’s not the best out there but if you look at our talent and how is try to build a roster for a numbnut coach within the rules and Restrictions our club offer he Has a pass mark
But on the other hand I would be happy to see Nathan Brown take over his role As I think he would do even a better job

Don't confuse people with the facts.........LOL

possm

Coach
Exactly, and I said before those not up to the next grade, should be held back or let go. Millward, fortunately, is not responsible for coaching, fitness or skills development. He is there to identify the players who have the skills to move forward and those who haven't the skills to stay back or let go.

I am absolutely sure that Mary believes he should be handed players who have the skills required.

BLM01

First Grade
Exactly, and I said before those not up to the next grade, should be held back or let go. Millward, fortunately, is not responsible for coaching, fitness or skills development. He is there to identify the players who have the skills to move forward and those who haven't the skills to stay back or let go.

I am absolutely sure that Mary believes he should be handed players who have the skills required.
Sigh...again not Millward's task
Mary relies on what the lower grade coaches have done or what they do within his 35 man NRL training squad..which is where a lot of them are supposed to get that 1st grade level skills
It is not up to Millward to say to a player or coach dont promote him or relegate him or sack him..especially if under contract
Unless a manager, coach or player approaches him to make a change

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Hey Poss'm you say Saints have rubbish players? Do you consider McInnes, T.Sims, Norman, Hunt, Vaughn rubbish players? Don't look at how they are playing now but when bought to the club they were awesome. Mary made them rubbish not Millard. Millard did his job just fine. Not his fault Mary did not deliver. Mullholland from memory did not bring any Origin players (or on the verge McInness) during his time from memory.

possm

Coach
Hey Poss'm you say Saints have rubbish players? Do you consider McInnes, T.Sims, Norman, Hunt, Vaughn rubbish players? Don't look at how they are playing now but when bought to the club they were awesome. Mary made them rubbish not Millard. Millard did his job just fine. Not his fault Mary did not deliver. Mullholland from memory did not bring any Origin players (or on the verge McInness) during his time from memory.
Don't put words in my mouth however it is fair to say our current backline, except for Saab (great potential( and Lomax, under the coaching of Mary are rubish. Under the current game plan our halves and forwards are rubish.

So just as soon as Millward who Directs recruitment/retention/pathways and crow after every signing and Mary who has never had any idea how to coach a first grade team and never wants to listen to anyone.

NRLMad

Juniors
Rava (worst Fijian in the NRL) and aitken (not a centre, can’t pass, kick or tackle) remain the worst in the league

John Tanious

Juniors
Rava (worst Fijian in the NRL) and aitken (not a centre, can’t pass, kick or tackle) remain the worst in the league
Rava is easily our most gifted winger physically. He is a strong lad with a good work ethic.

A big part of a winger's job description is that first hitup and sets the tone for the set. So I see no option but to persevere with him. Especially with Dufty at fullback. Simply, you cannot play a back three of Dufty, Saab and Sailor unfortunately, those days are gone.

However the question really is, why have we not seen much improvements in those areas he is lacking in?

NRLMad

Juniors
Rava is easily our most gifted winger physically. He is a strong lad with a good work ethic.

A big part of a winger's job description is that first hitup and sets the tone for the set. So I see no option but to persevere with him. Especially with Dufty at fullback. Simply, you cannot play a back three of Dufty, Saab and Sailor unfortunately, those days are gone.

However the question really is, why have we not seen much improvements in those areas he is lacking in?
He thinks he’s playing union and is lazy as f. He’s not a smart player, compare someone like Ferguson or marika to him - similar size just can’t catch or hold onto the ball

John Tanious

Juniors
He thinks he’s playing union and is lazy as f. He’s not a smart player, compare someone like Ferguson or marika to him - similar size just can’t catch or hold onto the ball
i disagree that he is lazy. He comes in for a hitup almost everytime there is a long kick for the full back. He runs it with plenty of venom. So I dont believe he is lazy ... yes he has hands like feet, but I think thats the coaching part of it. It is your job as a coach to get more out of your players.I feel his development on the skill side of the game has been quite slow.

Ted bartolo

Juniors

It seems like Rava wants to run at biggest person or group.where as he should be running over smaller players or deviate into gaps creating some doubt..ball skills 3 hours a day.

Dragon David

First Grade
It seems like Rava wants to run at biggest person or group.where as he should be running over smaller players or deviate into gaps creating some doubt..ball skills 3 hours a day.

Yes indeed. Rava needs tonnes of practise catching the ball. If he can master this then less heart attack material for us. Hunt and Norman and Clune should all be "chipping" in for a few hours at training kicking high balls to him. If he can take the high balls cleanly consistently, he will be able to ease the pressure on Dufty and be able to take the ball back hard then possibly an off load to Dufty. When a player has several errors in him, they need to be ironed out with extra training.

Even though Rava did spill the ball a few times, Mary will keep him in the winning side. Pereira needs to relax more and not get too tensed up. Both if fit will be retained IMO.

I am still not too sure about Trent Merrin being in the run on team. He did do some runs, but doesn't do many off-loads like he used to in his younger days.

I liked that Dufty came into a lot more plays today, sniffing around for an off-load. He plays much better playing his normal game and would definitely be wasted on the wing. He has a great passing game as well, so he should be our No.1 for the rest of the season barring injuries.

Lomax and Aitken played no nonsense footy today. Aitken might have missed a tackle or two - one leading up to the Sharks first try - but toughed it out pretty good.

All the forwards tried harder today.

More improvement needed overall. but it is a week to week agenda.

Dragon David

First Grade
We won against the Sharks but boy oh boy we certainly need a rebuild. When you read what Phil Rothfield of the Daily Telegraph and Foxleague said about not one Bulldogs player would be picked to play for the Roosters after the Roosters demolished them, how would any of our players go when the Bulldogs easily beat us.

The Morris boys are the ones we should have targeted to come back but how can you knock back the Roosters. They are flying high. How do they do it? The Morris boys would be absolutely loving it there.

It is quite amazing how each club has the same amount of salary cap allocated as each other (questionable for some clubs eh!) but the likes of several clubs having such superior players in their squad compared to the consistent cellar dwellers squads and beggars questioning.

I know that the cellar dweller clubs pay overs to attract the players whilst the top of the ladder clubs have better bargaining power as they are the clubs players want to go to so happy to get a little less to be with those clubs.

How can you compete for example Will Hopoate versus James Tedesco. There is just no comparison.

I tell you what if the Roosters win G/F #3 in a row this year and they don't lose any players for next year, some questions will need to be asked. Most teams tend to lose players after winning grand finals as the salaries of most of the winning players would go up and then they would come back to the field. Although Cronk left the Roosters, they would say that they had money to sign Kyle Flanagan and upgrade a few other players.

No, I tell you there is just no balance where teams should be on a par with each other and therefore the salary cap stinks.

BLM01

First Grade
We won against the Sharks but boy oh boy we certainly need a rebuild. When you read what Phil Rothfield of the Daily Telegraph and Foxleague said about not one Bulldogs player would be picked to play for the Roosters after the Roosters demolished them, how would any of our players go when the Bulldogs easily beat us.

The Morris boys are the ones we should have targeted to come back but how can you knock back the Roosters. They are flying high. How do they do it? The Morris boys would be absolutely loving it there.

It is quite amazing how each club has the same amount of salary cap allocated as each other (questionable for some clubs eh!) but the likes of several clubs having such superior players in their squad compared to the consistent cellar dwellers squads and beggars questioning.

I know that the cellar dweller clubs pay overs to attract the players whilst the top of the ladder clubs have better bargaining power as they are the clubs players want to go to so happy to get a little less to be with those clubs.

How can you compete for example Will Hopoate versus James Tedesco. There is just no comparison.

I tell you what if the Roosters win G/F #3 in a row this year and they don't lose any players for next year, some questions will need to be asked. Most teams tend to lose players after winning grand finals as the salaries of most of the winning players would go up and then they would come back to the field. Although Cronk left the Roosters, they would say that they had money to sign Kyle Flanagan and upgrade a few other players.

No, I tell you there is just no balance where teams should be on a par with each other and therefore the salary cap stinks.
Ahh how naive..this is how
1. 3rd party agreements
2. Decent coach
3. An owner willing to thrown in his own money to make them continually great with no profit return...probably some sort of tax deduction

Dragons have none of the above

Dragon David

First Grade
Ahh how naive..this is how
1. 3rd party agreements
2. Decent coach
3. An owner willing to thrown in his own money to make them continually great with no profit return...probably some sort of tax deduction

Dragons have none of the above
I am aware of the three points that you have given it is just that I see that there is no equality between the haves and the have nots which when you have this as an ongoing thing it makes me want to not follow the game because how can you compete with this.
The same could be said about several other clubs no doubt. So is this a fair thing?