What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spine

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Okay so, today's game throws a spanner in the works. Where do we go from here?
2021 is a mystery, there will be a few player movements by that stage, so let's think about the next few months.

Hunt has proven that his skill-set is much more suited to Hooker or 5/8. Basically take away game-management and pressure off his shoulders and he shines.
BUT, club captain McInnes has the hooking position locked down, and is one of the better hookers in the competition. I don't believe Cam is a lock forward either.
Surely you can't keep bringing your million dollar player off the bench to replace a quality hooker and move him to a position he's not suited to?

Then there's the Dufty thing. Duff was awesome today, and I don't mean to be a pessimist, but I still think he'll get completely shown up by the better teams. He's proven time and time again to crack under pressure against the better teams. But after today's game he's safe for a while you'd imagine, particularly considering we've got the Gold Coast next weekend.

Then Norman, the showpony, chime-in-when-he-feels-like-it pretender. As far as i'm concerned he can disappear. Offers little, especially considering how much talent he has. f**k him off. Keep making youtube videos m8.

Love Cluney, all effort, plenty of skill. He's our 7 for a while.

So:
1. Dufty/Ramsey?
6. Hunt
7. Clune
9. McInnes

Or throw a random one out there?
1. Duff
6. Sailor
7. Clune
9. McInnes

14. Hunt?

It's a hard one. Thoughts?

Brutalitops

Juniors
Hunt and Clune may yet be a solid halves pairing, but they must be given opportunities to develop. None of this spine switching Mary is so fond of. Pick a spine and let them gel long term.

Dufty is a tricky one. When he's good, he's a game winner but he can have shockers. For now, he's safe at 1.

Norman is the odd fit here. Imo Norman should be the one benched, as I don't believe he is the sort of half to complement Hunt's style (that was Widdop).

Hunt having stints at 9 is good though. His running and kicks from hooker suit us well. McInnes great in the forwards.

SBD82

Coach
The spine that we played today is the best spine that we have.

McInnes was great at lock. He was constantly working off the ball and our middles were able to make more meters because he made himself a genuine option when they were making hit ups. The game is moving back towards smaller locks, with Radley and Murray being the benchmarks.

Clune is a genuine 7. He is the only one in the club who has game management as his primary focus. It’s a necessary ingredient that we haven’t had since Hornby.

Hunt is a genuine 14. He is not a starting 9. I actually thought he looked disinterested today and it was still one of the best games that he has played in our colours.

Norman is a genuine 6. He’s at his best with his eyes up.

Dufty was great today. But if he comes in next week with the same poor attitude that he has previously shown on attacking the ball and kick returns, then he will go back to his poor form.

We need to sort the spine out for next year. But for this year this is the best we have. As the old saying goes, “you can only piss with the dick you’ve got”.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
We need to sort the spine out for next year. But for this year this is the best we have. As the old saying goes, “you can only piss with the dick you’ve got”.
So we’re coaching from our head for the next 17 weeks..

It’ll be rough.. But as a group we’ll see it through together..

minge

Bench
Spine????????

Analysts look to the strength of the spine to suggest how well a team could be travelling a that given time.

That being said, has this club, or any other club, ever been in a worse state regarding the spine (less)

Previously, or in the near future......... what’s happened or is going to happen at the Dragons, with the positions considered most important in running a football team?

1 Hooker??????
2. Half????????
3 Fullback?????

A dogs breakfast.

BLM01

First Grade
Okay so, today's game throws a spanner in the works. Where do we go from here?
2021 is a mystery, there will be a few player movements by that stage, so let's think about the next few months.

Hunt has proven that his skill-set is much more suited to Hooker or 5/8. Basically take away game-management and pressure off his shoulders and he shines.
BUT, club captain McInnes has the hooking position locked down, and is one of the better hookers in the competition. I don't believe Cam is a lock forward either.
Surely you can't keep bringing your million dollar player off the bench to replace a quality hooker and move him to a position he's not suited to?

Then there's the Dufty thing. Duff was awesome today, and I don't mean to be a pessimist, but I still think he'll get completely shown up by the better teams. He's proven time and time again to crack under pressure against the better teams. But after today's game he's safe for a while you'd imagine, particularly considering we've got the Gold Coast next weekend.

Then Norman, the showpony, chime-in-when-he-feels-like-it pretender. As far as i'm concerned he can disappear. Offers little, especially considering how much talent he has. f**k him off. Keep making youtube videos m8.

Love Cluney, all effort, plenty of skill. He's our 7 for a while.

So:
1. Dufty/Ramsey?
6. Hunt
7. Clune
9. McInnes

Or throw a random one out there?
1. Duff
6. Sailor
7. Clune
9. McInnes

14. Hunt?

It's a hard one. Thoughts?
Why change a winning formula?
Leave it as it is
McInnes goes alright in a Radley / Murray type role for the last 60..
If Dufty fails again bring Sailor in as 1
As you said this is just about the next few months

Jersey No 14

Juniors
No 6
Me!
I'm not known for my charming personality
I might get smashed - but thing will improve considerably.
Go the Veterans!

redv13

Bench
How much better did Clune look yesterday playing a more natural game like a 7!! His kicks were pretty good too. Much better performance and I’m tipping he will show the GC a thing or two

Dragonslayer

First Grade
JDB if found not guilty will clause a review of McInness at lock unfortunately.
CC

If, and a big if at that, JDB's case is thrown out, then remember he hasn't played for near on 2 years, it will take some time for him to be 'match' fit.
The only way to include him in the 17, and let me say I wouldn't include him straight away, would be to have him on the bench. Unfortunately, that would mean probablu Host drops out, and that shouldn't happen.

McInnes claims there's no rift in the playing group, however, the fact he will probably walk straight back into the 17 maybe the feather rustling some journos are referring to. Just my speculation on it.

Dragon David

First Grade
If, and a big if at that, JDB's case is thrown out, then remember he hasn't played for near on 2 years, it will take some time for him to be 'match' fit.
The only way to include him in the 17, and let me say I wouldn't include him straight away, would be to have him on the bench. Unfortunately, that would mean probablu Host drops out, and that shouldn't happen.

McInnes claims there's no rift in the playing group, however, the fact he will probably walk straight back into the 17 maybe the feather rustling some journos are referring to. Just my speculation on it.

I can't wait for this JDB case to be finalised one way or the other. Things for the club might well settle down 100% when it does and then we can concentrate and focus more on looking forward without any more reference to him (other than he is great for the team if he gets off).

Old Timer

Coach
The No 1 Jumper
  • With Dufty doing better the position of FB looks like being resolved for the short term at least and hopefully fingers crossed longer.
  • Dufty brings many highs and some lows to the position but without him we are impotent in attack and he does provide the necessary spark that ignites Lomax.
  • It is truly great to watch when young players confidence are on a high and hopefully we get some more young players into the team to be part of it.
The No 6 Jumper
  • Norman demands and gets far too much ball and rarely ignites anything but opportunistic plays.
  • This truly needs to be resolved but Mc HumptyDumpty doesn't have the balls to drop Norman let alone give Sailor a better than 2 week run in the position.
  • This position at the present time is our biggest stumbling block.
The No 7 Jumper
  • With Clune now getting more ball and control of things that also looks like a fix in the short term and hopefully it too is a longer term arrangement.
  • He has to be allowed to play both sides of the paddock and have the 1st call option on the DH.
  • Clune at 7 provides far better attacking options than Hunt and his passing game will only get better and see more and more opportunities for the outside backs.
  • I also think that our edge players will finally benefit with Clune creating better options on the proviso he isn't stifled by Norman and / or Hunt wanting to control the game especially the clutch moments.
The No 9 Jumper
  • Some are claiming we are a better side with Hunt at 9 rather Mc Innes and some even suggesting that Cam be moved on if JDB is cleared to play.
  • The above scenario re looking better needs to be looked at closely as Hunt at 9 gets a controlling half in Clune at 7 whereas Mc Innes at 9 gets the misfiring Hunt at 7 coupled with a misfiring 6 in Norman. With those 2 in the halves demanding the ball and stifling everything I think any reasonable hooker would truly struggle to be effective.
  • Some will say that for some periods of games Mc Innes has had Clune at 7 but when that occurred Norman was the go to man controlling the play and Clune unfortunately had very tight restrictions placed on him.
  • If Mc Innes at 9 was to get Clune at 7 and a less demanding Norman at 6 how would we look then?
  • Even better if Mc Innes at 9 gets Clune at 7 and Sailor at 6 how much better would life be for the DH?
  • No doubt that the Mc Innes at 9 and Hunt at 7 scenario doesn't work but is that really the fault of the 9 and should he make way for the 7 who never was?

Kylez3

Juniors
Playing Hunt at 6 sounds good in theory but the problem it creates is that Hunt will just take over and play the halfback role regardless and Clune/Sailor will get stifled.