What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vale Noel 'Ned' Kelly

Old Timer

Coach
A very tough man who played in very tough times.

Used to love how a scrum would break up with someone on the deck out cold or bleeding profusely and old Ned putting his hands up like a gunslinger just caught by the sheriff as the ref called him out.

Interesting that he used to tell a story of how he went to play in FNQ at one stage of his career and the other clubs in the comp all starting complaining that it was unfair that one team should have such a great player.

So to get over the impasse they decided that Ned should in fact play for a different club each week.

Ned said that he was belting players one week and cuddling them the next so the young aboriginal players would con him by saying “hey Noel don’t belt me brother I play with you next week” when in fact they weren’t, lol

Sad that the greats from that era are now disappearing at a quicker rate and it must also be very sad for their teammates that are left behind.

Well done Ned you served your clubs and country well.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
Yep he was the type of prop that never took a backward step , then again why would he , as he was usually the instigator of the good old fashioned biff .

The Magpies had a number of great players in those years , however in the forward pack Ned reigned supreme and was an automatic selection in for the Kangaroos .

A sad day for all who knew the man and also for those who had the privilege of watching a real Aussie rugby league icon .

Rest easy Ned - and keep your fists to yourself as that don’t allow any shenanigans in footy heaven . :innocent:

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
I looked at how few responses there were and then realised that there will be very few who ever saw him on The Rex Mossop Show let alone ever seen him play.

If people youtube some old games against the Poms they will get a sense of how important Kelly was to Australian RL at a time when the Poms dominated the code especially in respect of forwards.

Controversy Corner

Now that was a great show.

Moose was excellent. Agree Kelly was very knowledgeable and one of the toughest men to play the game. A great player who played for the best Wests side to grace the SCG.

RIP NK.

Dragonsamy

Bench
One of the true tough players from a tough era.
Great bloke of the field I was lucky enough to meet him once total gentleman. all the best to the Kelly family

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
Some of the footage shown doesn't show him in a favorable light. Plenty of coward punches thrown and came across as a thug but i guess the game was different then with a ëye for a eye " but Ned mostly got in early hence the first 5 minutes in a test v NZ in 67 at Lang Park ! Good footballer but really got in the team of the century because of QLD politics.