What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Coffs dragon

Bench
This is an excerpt from an email to Red V members from CEO Ryan Webb...

Football

The football department has been under tremendous pressure in recent weeks, and rightly so. Nobody at the club was happy with the opening month of performances, although it was pleasing to see the Dragons earn their first win of the 2020 campaign on Sunday.

I understand that not all members and fans agree with the board's decision to publicly support coach Paul McGregor last week. Their decision on Paul's future was one out of loyalty and backed by the entire club's commitment to improve.

Moreover, it seems there is a lot the narrative surrounding the club currently targeting negative connotations. I thought it worth clarifying a few points:
  • Tristan Sailor has not requested a release;
  • Jason Saab has requested a release which the club have denied. We are now working with Jason and his manager in an effort to overcome his off-field concerns; and,
  • Isaac Luke has also requested a release for personal reasons regarding his family. While not yet confirmed, Issac's release will be finalised this week. The club are also comfortable with its current crop of hookers considering Cameron McInnes, Billy Brittain and Ben Hunt's ability to all don the No. 9 jumper.
Well done to our new CEO on addressing the fans concerns & rumours. Already an improvement on BJ’s silent treatment last year.

piesplusreturns

Juniors
I haven't heard the whole thing, but I heard Mary say in the press conference re Hunt: "I think you need to have two hookers the way the game is going".

You were forced into it, you merkin.

For god sake, they took recruitment off you cos you couldn't handle it, now they've taken selections off you cos you couldn't handle it.

Take the hint, buddy!

I apologise in advance for the length of this post.
This is the future man. Forget the name of the team, forget what kids and juniors you have, forget the pride of the Guernsey, that went years ago. Call the team whatever you like. The team with the best $$$ win. Next year, team Kia, Samsung, Bill Gates might win. I am not saying for 1 moment Mary is not at fault, he is the coach of course he has to wear the brunt of the blame. But honestly, please. Brian Johnston you peace of s&$t. You got off the titanic before it sunk, you gutless prick and you have the hide to call yourself a financial advisor. Peter Doust you were the CEO when we won the comp, now the shit has hit the fan, you sit on the board and say nothing. Two months ago I asked my desciples about our new CEO. Namely does he do anymore than unroll the morning newspaper and take the morning tea orders

None of my desciples replied and I have sine read his vision statement. I will cut and paste all the vision statements you like, just change the time and dates. What has he had to stay since.

In relation to to the Gordon's, yes they bailed us out. But you must realise it is not a bottomless pit, this is why they are millionaires. They don't dish out money for something to do. And what they paid to bail us out is a tax deduction to them.

This club is NOT a professional organisation. It is jobs for the boys and your realities. It is worst then Bullfrog, Canterbury, Hughes, Mortimer syndrome and look what happened to them. I will not blah on about this place but it is the same.
Yes Mary has to wear the brunt of the blame. So if he gets sacked after Cronulla beat us, don't put your party hat on because nothing is going to change. We are run by a bunch of reject dickheads, exp players, inlaws, outlaws and inbreds.
To Possum and your mates, unload this player, buy this player, buy new coach. You my friend and your mates are in fantasy land.
Lots of subjectivity in your post for sure.
I am always hopeful the pride in the guernsey and love of the club emblem are not dead and buried because we live in "the future".
Maybe I'm just old fashioned but its those things that made St.George the greatest rugby league club in the world.
The only other small thing wrong with your post is that Cronulla didn't beat us.

YoHadrian

Juniors
I assume we all just got that email from Webb & felt hopeful for a nanosecond.

" The football department has been under tremendous pressure in recent weeks, and rightly so. Nobody at the club was happy with the opening month of performances, although it was pleasing to see the Dragons earn their first win of the 2020 campaign on Sunday.

I understand that not all members and fans agree with the board's decision to publicly support coach Paul McGregor last week. Their decision on Paul's future was one out of loyalty and backed by the entire club's commitment to improve."

Weasels. :rofl:

I assume we all just got that email from Webb & felt hopeful for a nanosecond.

" The football department has been under tremendous pressure in recent weeks, and rightly so. Nobody at the club was happy with the opening month of performances, although it was pleasing to see the Dragons earn their first win of the 2020 campaign on Sunday.

I understand that not all members and fans agree with the board's decision to publicly support coach Paul McGregor last week. Their decision on Paul's future was one out of loyalty and backed by the entire club's commitment to improve."

Weasels. :rofl:

Linespeed was right about Webby after all.

So far as I am concerned, he’s roadkill after this piece of sickening crap.

When they’re up against the wall, he’s the first to go.

That he expects people to believe this shows what an exceptionally arrogant and out of touch flog he is. An executive version of Mary.

Sergeant Shultz of L plate ceos.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
That’s concerning about Saab because wing is the position we really lack and there are very few on the market. His manager would know this and be playing games. I’d play him straight away starting from next week and even consider upgrading him if he goes well but jeez managers are slimy pricks, he’s signed a contract and barely played. Good to see some honesty though.
It is good that Ryan Webb has informed the Red V members of where things are at - coach, players leaving/denial etc. We need more of these from the CEO so that we are kept in the loop and informed regularly rather than being in the dark and guess working a lot of the stuff.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
It is good that Ryan Webb has informed the Red V members of where things are at - coach, players leaving/denial etc. We need more of these from the CEO so that we are kept in the loop and informed regularly rather than being in the dark and guess working a lot of the stuff.
It is good I like it. It’s all most people ask really.

Day 70 and Web starts making concessions about what people see are ancillary to the main problem which has been discussed here no end.

This is not the start of some pro-member campaign.

It’s a trickle to address what they rightfully perceive as a massive pushback against the board and club management with a handful of powerful journalists and interests giving them what for along with the members.

That’s not the cynic in me. That’s what I think is the reality.

Leopards don’t change their spots.

And they are yet to accept responsibility as I said before.

It’s a good sign for the anti board forces. A sign of weakness, but now is not the time for mercy.

Pr have taken a new direction, but don’t be fooled again.

If I was in your shoes, I would expect as a minimum, the board to stand down and Mary and Webby to be sacked without further discussions being entered into. Bring in a caretaker committee for one month until democracy can be restored, commonsense prevailed upon, hope given without strings attached.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
James Hooper: How Dragons stripped McGregor of power in extraordinary selection move
Dragons
james_hooper.jpg

a97cfe14d07f078851bb191262747fc8

Dragons coach Paul McGregor.Source: Getty Images
St George-Illawarra has implemented a new four-man selection committee process to try and revive signs of life into the ailing Red V season.

Coach Paul McGregor is now joined in a voting process by assistant coaches Shane Flanagan and Dean Young and executive manager of football Ben Haran.

It’s a unique scenario and extremely rare for an NRL head coach to be forced into a voting process on selections.

It would never happen to Wayne Bennett, Craig Bellamy or Ricky Stuart.

Round 6
This is how fullback Matt Dufty was fast-tracked back into the St George Illawarra starting side to help the Dragons upstage arch-rivals Cronulla for the their maiden victory of the season on Sunday.

After last Monday’s emergency board meeting, Dragons coach McGregor met the board later in the week where the new selection committee concept was outlined.

The under-pressure Dragons coach had no option but to accept the new process after an 0-4 start where the Dragons had gone 160 minutes without scoring a try.

776445_640x360_large_20200614190222.jpg

Dragons press conference

With the new system in process, the Dragons made six changes to the side beaten by the Bulldogs headed by the return of livewire fullback Dufty, Corey Norman being moved to five-eighth and Trent Merrin starting at lock ahead of James Graham.

The shake-up sparked the Dragons into their best performance of the season with the Red V completing at 90 per cent and making six line breaks.

Fullback Dufty scored a try, made nine tackle busts, two line breaks, two line break assists and two try assists while Ben Hunt enjoyed his best game this season playing dummy-half off the interchange bench.

With Hunt carving up through the middle of the ruck and Cameron McInnes looking a far greater attacking threat as a running lock forward, the Dragons looked like a football team again.

The only change the Dragons new selection committee needs to make now is finding a way to get young gun winger Jason Saab into the team.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/b4a326815dab9981ffa481e0569af2c3

since77

Juniors
So we have a coach who had the recruitment taken off him a few years back. Now he’s not allowed to pick the team by himself. Well that doesn’t sound like much of a coach to me........ What’s next - he can’t give the half time speech? Well actually that would be helpful too.
I’m stunned at how breathtakingly dumb these people running the club are. Just sack the moron.

Seems like his only footprint at the club these days is in the form of his mastery of the press conference- so heaven help you.

He’d be ringing his management complaining that they left the selection of the side out of his contractual responsibilities. Small oversight.

Albert is obviously thumbing through the League Unlimited league magazine this morning selecting the side for this weekend!

Was that in the red v email or Webby forgot again?

Things are far worse than I thought possible.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
So we have a coach who had the recruitment taken off him a few years back. Now he’s not allowed to pick the team by himself. Well that doesn’t sound like much of a coach to me........ What’s next - he can’t give the half time speech? Well actually that would be helpful too.
I’m stunned at how breathtakingly dumb these people running the club are. Just sack the moron.
But he still gets his full pay, 800k :joy:

Latest posts