What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/peter-...greement/f4115091-b308-41fb-be57-f67336a89e9d

ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys has unleashed on the AFL for its "laughable" suggestion that the NRL gave up $300 million on its revised TV deal with Nine and Foxtel.

V'landys' comments came after the AFL reportedly notified its stakeholders of the discount the NRL had given its broadcasters before settling on its own revised broadcast deal last week.

However, in a stinging rebuke, V'landys told the Herald Sun that the AFL's claims were merely "fictional".

"I'm disappointed that they feel they need to make up figures," he said.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F3d98ff0a-cdb2-42eb-afef-fca88ae4d3de

Peter V'landys is not impressed with the AFL telling its stakeholders what the NRL gave up to broadcasters (Sydney Morning Herald)

"Nobody knows our figures because we've kept them commercially in-confidence.

"But looking at their figures, if they have given up $150 million, we have done substantially better than them.

"And if they knew the real figures, they'd be stopping the comparisons very quickly, because it doesn't help them.

"I think they have had a dose of reality."

While the AFL was able to renew its free-to-air deal with Seven through 2024, a deal is yet to be done with Foxtel, and V'landys declared that the AFL had made a "massive mistake" in that regard.

In comparison to the AFL, the NRL has extended its deal with Foxtel through 2027.

"What the AFL don't tell you is that the majority of revenue for both the NRL and the AFL comes from Foxtel and it was important for us at the NRL to get the major partner done first and foremost," he said.

"That's the one we rely on most. It's given us security of revenues for another seven years.

"We have a deal that secures our future and I think the AFL have made a massive mistake by not getting Foxtel over the line."

There has been a fair amount of cross-code sparring during both the AFL and NRL's respective hiatuses, and V'landys said AFL figures had a "fascination" with the NRL.

"I have never dwelt into their business, I've never made a comment about their business unless someone asked me a question, yet they have this fascination with our business," he said.

"The AFL should concentrate on itself and not worry about other businesses.

"I don't worry about them. I'm focused on getting the best deal for the NRL.

"For them to go out and say such fiction without knowing is a concern about them more so than us."

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why be so shy? just tell us what the deal is and let us make our own minds up if we did ok or not.

seanoff

Juniors
Tehe....dad joke!!!

I actually see this working especially since they are basically trailing right now, just need to see the cost of flights/petrol/time.. etc Vs Hotel cost/Time of what they've been doing in the past.
I mean most American teams do this as its cost effective, plus from a expansion point of view means perth, adelaide and Nz2 can work being far away, means no one can complain about travel since the bulk of the clubs will be floan around back and forth same day.

no they lease jets from Delta usually. NFL teams needs jet 8 - 10 times a yr.

The NFC East teams a lot less. NY - DC - Philly. Train between those places.

Chook Norris

First Grade
I could be wrong but I dont think the NRL would be assessing buying the plane from day one. I presume it would be a finance lease where you pay in installments and are given the option of keeping the plane at the end of the term.

In any case, I dont see this idea taking off either. Surely too many costs to make it worthwhile

steeden.

Juniors
Sydney’s 11pm airport curfew rules out flying teams home after night games.
PVL May have jumped the shark with this idea
The curfew is only at Sydney Airport though. They’ve been flying in and out of Bankstown since the restrictions came in

The curfew is only at Sydney Airport though. They’ve been flying in and out of Bankstown since the restrictions came in
The same type of planes that land at Bankstown airport land at Sydney airport all night as well. It's a noise factor, and I can tell you that occasionally Sydney Airport do let the noisy muthas go past the 11pm timeslot. I've seen it go on until 1.30am. Every time one of those big things hit the tarmac Macquarie Bank goes Ca Ching! Ca Ching!!, far outweighing any fine that may come across.

LineBall

Juniors
I could be wrong but I dont think the NRL would be assessing buying the plane from day one. I presume it would be a finance lease where you pay in installments and are given the option of keeping the plane at the end of the term.

In any case, I dont see this idea taking off either. Surely too many costs to make it worthwhile

They will need to employ Greg Inglis to make sure they can get a plane that can fly in the rain.

franklin2323

Immortal
Use the $200m loan to buy the plane. The savings made no using a commercial plane will pay for the repayments.

Then NRL have an asset

t-ba

Post Whore
This whole thing with AFL bigwigs mentioning the NRL is bizarre.

Like, do they ever do this? Usually they don't bother because they're exceptionally confident about their superiority.

V'Landys has them rattled...

Frailty

First Grade
Use the $200m loan to buy the plane. The savings made no using a commercial plane will pay for the repayments.

Then NRL have an asset

Totally... I mean the Annual Report listed the travel costs as just under $2.9M. Assuming that you use the loan to buy a decent plane for the numbers required to travel, you are looking at excess of $100M to purchase the plane.

On top of that cost, you need at add insurance, maintenance, fuel, storage, and staffing. Further to that - you will also need to pay back interest on the loan.

Add on top of that the depreciation of the asset.

Then of course, you won't actually remove all costs using commercial because it's unlikely that a single plane will be able to effectively cover all teams over a weekend.

It will not save the game money, nor add a significant amount of value.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This whole thing with AFL bigwigs mentioning the NRL is bizarre.

Like, do they ever do this? Usually they don't bother because they're exceptionally confident about their superiority.

V'Landys has them rattled...

I'm not sure where its been mentioned, I had a google and cant see any quotes from AFL on the NRL's deal? Anyone else found the actual thing V'landys is talking about?

"after it reportedly told stakeholders that the NRL sacrificed up to $300 million in its revised TV rights deal."

I get the sense with Vlandys he cant hold his tongue so if you throw something at him he will respond. Here we have two cases potentially, one the question on the plane and the other the alleged AFL comment I can see the media baiting him into some interesting responses for the game if this is the case.

Last edited:

Frailty

First Grade
I'm not sure where its been mentioned, I had a google and cant see any quotes from AFL on the NRL's deal? Anyone else found the actual thing V'landys is talking about?
From the article:

"the AFL reportedly notified its stakeholders of the discount the NRL had given its broadcasters before settling on its own revised broadcast deal last week."

Perth Red

Post Whore
From the article:

"the AFL reportedly notified its stakeholders of the discount the NRL had given its broadcasters before settling on its own revised broadcast deal last week."

yes I saw it in the article, my question is which stakeholders, who reported it and is there any evidence that they did? Or was it made up to trigger a V'landys response and create a story? How would the AFL know what the NRL gave up unless told by Fox? V'landys then goes on to make up his own figures for what the AFL gave up lol.
Its also an interesting comment re Fox considering Ch9 paid $185mill and Fox $175mill to NRL in last deal. Doesn't that make FTA the major funder for NRL?

This was in a Roar article last year, might explain it, is V'Landys using NRL as a tool for his racing fight with Melbourne I wonder?

I don’t follow racing at all but I am spending a lot of time with a racing journalist while staying in Sydney and I am told V’landys is the king of the culture war between Sydney and Melbourne, inventing events to take prestige away from the Victorian capital and even wanting the Melbourne Cup moved.
https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/12/...who-thinks-five-hours-on-a-plane-is-too-much/

Last edited:

Steel Saints

Juniors
yes I saw it in the article, my question is which stakeholders, who reported it and is there any evidence that they did? Or was it made up to trigger a V'landys response and create a story? How would the AFL know what the NRL gave up unless told by Fox? V'landys then goes on to make up his own figures for what the AFL gave up lol.
Its also an interesting comment re Fox considering Ch9 paid $185mill and Fox $175mill to NRL in last deal. Doesn't that make FTA the major funder for NRL?

Whatever reductions occurred, it's only for the next two and a half years. I am more interested in the extension deal with Fox, especially if the NRL introduce a 17th team.