What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ravawala

Carlton

Juniors
Ravalawa looks like a center, has size, has enough pace, is strong, can read the game and has a great pass.

But, he shouldn't be played at center in first grade until he has had some time there in CC. If he shows he understands the position bring him into first grade sooner rather than later.

possm

Coach
Ravalawa looks like a center, has size, has enough pace, is strong, can read the game and has a great pass.

But, he shouldn't be played at center in first grade until he has had some time there in CC. If he shows he understands the position bring him into first grade sooner rather than later.
I agree. Very soon our best two wingers are going to be Saab and Pearson. Ravalawa and Pereira are going to have to be backup wingers or transform into centres. If we get Walker for Aitken then there will only be one centre job available.

I see Lomax as our long term fullback solution and Dufty as a stop gap solution at this stage.

Paddles

Juniors
Rava at centre is an interesting idea.

He does seem weak under the high ball (was lucky to be fouled when he dropped a sitter that could have led to a Dogs try) and seems to have a good pass (although I'd like to see more of them). These suggest a possible fit at centre.

On the flip-side, he's a super finisher in the making. He's bulldozed a few tries he had no business scoring, and the somersault try was spectacular. He's also like a forward running out of his own end.

But really, if we're honest, the only reason this is being considered is because the club's preferred centre stocks (all 3/4s really) are substandard and/or unsettled.

Gareth67

First Grade
I stand by this he is a massive dud!
The bloke fair dinkum has 10 thumbs.

Many of the islanders have the same problem , they are so large that a football is like a bar of soap in their hands . Great for speed , agility and bulk , but unfortunately some have trouble controlling the ball .

thebigredv

First Grade
PLEASE let Saab's name be in the starting line up tomorrow. Then he has to perform and Mary has to keep him or he has a bad match and then he has no right to threaten a release.

Saab has his own issues under the high ball.

He will improve with game time.

Hope the kid isn’t savaged if he drops a couple of balls.

What I like about him is he is 110 kg and has real speed, unlike both our current wingers.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Saab has his own issues under the high ball.

He will improve with game time.

Hope the kid isn’t savaged if he drops a couple of balls.

What I like about him is he is 110 kg and has real speed, unlike both our current wingers.
Saab and Lomax problems both look to just be confidence related and I believe both will improve dramatically with time. Rava looks to have hands like concrete, coupled with confidence. Im sure he will improve but I think there will never be a time you don't have your heart in your mouth every time a bomb goes up.

Gareth67

First Grade
Sivo and Radradra don't seem to have too many issues. I would say the problem lies more in his white coach than his Melanesian background.

Yes those Eel players do not appear to have that problem , however there are many who do .

I do not know if you recall the great Apisai Toga who wore the Red V back in the ‘60’s , he was a Fijian giant ( both in size and also as a Saint ) who also had bad hands - the man tore opposition defenses to pieces with his running , but his fingers were not nimble enough when catching the pill .

Nothing to do with the coach ( oddly enough ) merely a trait with the player himself .

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
For me if our kicking game and kick chase pressure improves on the same trajectory as last weekend then we wont be to worried who is playing at right wing

Clune and Normie could change our kicking game and especially having hunt at hooker with some Cam Smith game management kicking game

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
If a coach keeps picking a player in a position knowing he's not up to NRL level in its time for said coach to take up marbles.

I've previously posted that Ravalawa was heart attack material on the wing but it is to do with the way the game has evolved- wingers are targeted with kicks as much as full backs so it is becoming a difficult position to play.

He is only 22 and I'm still of the opinion that he has a body type unique to the backs at our club ie relatively tall and very strongly built. We tried to buy a centre (Suli ) who is a similar body type and failed so I would be inclined, as someone else suggested, to give him a protracted run in the centres. He can bust the line in a way that Williame and Lomax have struggled to do. He is a dynamic defender as well.

Hopefully, now that Mary has been neutered on all fronts, he can get that chance in the centres.

Dragon David

First Grade
I've previously posted that Ravalawa was heart attack material on the wing but it is to do with the way the game has evolved- wingers are targeted with kicks as much as full backs so it is becoming a difficult position to play.

He is only 22 and I'm still of the opinion that he has a body type unique to the backs at our club ie relatively tall and very strongly built. We tried to buy a centre (Suli ) who is a similar body type and failed so I would be inclined, as someone else suggested, to give him a protracted run in the centres. He can bust the line in a way that Williame and Lomax have struggled to do. He is a dynamic defender as well.

Hopefully, now that Mary has been neutered on all fronts, he can get that chance in the centres.

It is certainly worth a "try" (sorry for the pun) to have Rava as a centre for a few games to see if he is capable of handling that position in a good way, however, Mary will keep Aitken and Lomax as the centres until Williame comes back from injury. My gut feeling though is that Rava has too many mistakes in him and the more he would be given the ball, the more he is likely to be hustled and bustled to make the mistakes moreso than as a winger.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I reckon if he was ever going to become a centre he would need to learn in CC first. Pereira would go fine though but in all honesty I’d rather try one of the Feagai bro’s or SSE first.

Rava has a good game yesterday

Runs very hard

very physical in defence

if he improves his concentration under the high ball and the defensive coach helps him a bit, he will be a very effective winger.

Brett Morris he is not, but he is potentially a low cost solution for one wing.

Seemed to have no trouble playing left wing.

thebigredv

First Grade
A solid game against the current best team. Credit to him but I just cant live with the handling. l don't know how long Corey Thompson has signed with Titans but he'd be an awesome pick up to play that reliable and hard yakka role that Flo did for so many years.

Latest posts