What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Why? Unless one knows how the Telstra deals with AFL and NRL were formulated.If the AFL has near 1m members that could have helped. Again we are p*ssing in the wind.

You have shown often ,to be pretending to know what has occurred in the latest Tv deals.The fact there has been at least 3 different interpretations of the outcome ,from people within the industry, shows making comments we got shortchanged is pure dumb guesswork.

He got Foxtel to extend to 2027, yet AFL still has no extended deal.The AFL only had their extended their deal by 2 years.
Does that mean AFL are sh*t negotiators?
Or I repeat ,close to home, maybe V'Landys is not the dill you make him out to be.
The only way PR could ever say a good thing about PVL is if a team in Perth was happening now.
He has a massive chip on his shoulder about PVL not prioritising Perth .
So doesn't matter what PVL does it's bad.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looking at the story below it looks like th NRL did good compared to AFL. Or as some Suun Heald repoter said, "We got schooled by the NRL in negotiations, Michael warne.

So irt looks like the AFL paid discounts of around 170 million over the 3 remaing contract years AND including 90m from Foxtel over the 3 years.

Grand Total AFL 170 m

It's on record that they have taken a $70mill cut from Seven and rumored a $90mill cut from Fox.

All we know about our deal is Nine announced savings of $122million. We have no idea what the Fox cut is or how much of the nine deal is actual NRL cut v's other cost savings. Does make you wonder why all the secrecy when for the last 16 years they have been happy to shout the TV deals value from the rooftops. Did we get a better deal or not? Reality is no one knows!

Perth Red

Post Whore
He got Foxtel to extend to 2027, yet AFL still has no extended deal.The AFL only had their extended their deal by 2 years.
Does that mean AFL are sh*t negotiators?
Or I repeat ,close to home, maybe V'Landys is not the dill you make him out to be.

We wont know that until we can see the entirety of deals over the period. Maybe NRL negotiating at time of weakness a 5 year extension is a disaster? maybe its genius?
Maybe AFL getting a 2 year FTA extension whilst we havent is good or stupid?
Time will tell and given Vlandys unwillingness to inform the games stakeholders of what deal he has actually done we will only see the outcome in the annual reports and that is going to take a few years to see.

tri_colours

Juniors
Its not going to take a few years though PR to find out that the only extension the AFL could get was at a reduced rate.

taipan

Referee
We wont know that until we can see the entirety of deals over the period. Maybe NRL negotiating at time of weakness a 5 year extension is a disaster? maybe its genius?
Time will tell and given Vlandys unwillingness to inform the games stakeholders of what deal he has actually done we will only see the outcome in the annual reports and that is going to take a few years to see.

Fine.Then don't make definitive comments that V'Landys stuffed up, or got short changed ,when none of us knows exactly. Just because you have little time for the guy, you let that control your thinking.
Two years is BA in the scheme of things, for planning ahead.
On your thinking then a 5 year extension ,we must suggest that getting 5 years extension is great work.

If there is a confidentiality clause involved ,why would nay sensible leader, want to blab? You'd never want to deal with him again.Maybe that's why Greenberg was persona non grata.
I've already stated the annual reports provide the info ,that will probably be early new year.

That's why I'm not stating its a wonderful deal or a not so good deal, because like all these journos I can only guess.What I do know there is a 5 year extension $1bn which provides some longer term financial security, which even you cannot deny .One of the journos was Melbourne based Warne ,who gave V'Landys a wrap on the Tv deal.

LeagueXIII

First Grade

In terms of FTA, Seven have tied up another 2 yrs with AFL, Ten has no money, so that now leaves Nine in a position of power.....hmmm.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The AFL have done a deal to show games in USA, do we have something similar?

AFL signs U.S. broadcast deal with ESPN
i

NIALL SEEWANGESPN Associate EditorJun 13, 20202 Minute Read
The AFL's quest for a foothold in the United States has received a boost, with the league signing a deal with ESPN to broadcast two games per week on American television for the rest of the season.

Just days after the AFL signed an extended domestic broadcast agreement, the league will now be shown on U.S. television via ESPN2 and ESPN3. The first match broadcast was Friday night's [AEST] Geelong-Hawthorn clash on ESPN2. Sunday's Sydney-Essendon game at the SCG will be streamed on ESPN3.

A total of 34 AFL games across 17 weeks will be showcased on the U.S. network, as well as finals, with commentary and graphics to come from the host broadcaster.

Australian rules football was a staple in ESPN's early years, when the network was unable to secure rights to major American leagues. The network aired Aussie rules games from 1979 to 1985, with the league gaining a cultlike following in the U.S. ESPN2 also broadcast the AFL from 1996-97 and 2010-11.

Former ESPN stalwart Bob Ley -- who joined the network just three days after its 1979 launch and retired as one of its longest-serving employees in June 2019 -- was part of the team that brought Australian rules onto American television screens. He said the frenetic, free-flowing action and brutal physical contact appealed to many viewers, as well as a cultural curiosity of this strange sport played a million miles away.

"Television is all about pictures, and it [Aussie rules] is a great, great spectacle," Ley told the US Revolution podcast, hosted by ESPN freelance journalist Shannon Gill, Collingwood's U.S. success story Mason Cox and American broadcaster Ed Wyatt. "That moment, in the early '80s, it was just a cultural and programming sweet spot."

i

Collingwood's Mason Cox was the second born-and-bred American, after Jason Holmes, to play senior AFL football.Michael Dodge/Getty Image
The AFL gained some exposure in the U.S. in March, when the opening round of the season continued despite most leagues across the globe already shutting down due to the coronavirus pandemic. Pat McAfee -- a former NFL punter and now a broadcaster, podcast host and social media influencer -- stumbled upon the sport via a late-night telecast and immediately labelled Aussie rules "the best thing that could ever have been made." McAfee continued his support when the AFL returned on Thursday night for the Collingwood-Richmond contest, which ended in a thrilling draw.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fine.Then don't make definitive comments that V'Landys stuffed up, or got short changed ,when none of us knows exactly. Just because you have little time for the guy, you let that control your thinking.
Two years is BA in the scheme of things, for planning ahead.
On your thinking then a 5 year extension ,we must suggest that getting 5 years extension is great work.

If there is a confidentiality clause involved ,why would nay sensible leader, want to blab? You'd never want to deal with him again.Maybe that's why Greenberg was persona non grata.
I've already stated the annual reports provide the info ,that will probably be early new year.

That's why I'm not stating its a wonderful deal or a not so good deal, because like all these journos I can only guess.What I do know there is a 5 year extension $1bn which provides some longer term financial security, which even you cannot deny .One of the journos was Melbourne based Warne ,who gave V'Landys a wrap on the Tv deal.

What? I have been VERY clear in my commentary where we have some evidence and where it is conjecture. Ive been very consistent that on the issue of the TV deal we dont know if Vlandys has fcked us or saved us. Or if AFL got a better deal or not.
I am very suss at the lack of transparency about the deal and the "commercial confidence" excuse when that has never been an issue in any other TV deal, and given Ch9 broadcast its savings its hardly secret squirrel.
I dont know if its great or not because we dont know what the 5 years is worth or what we've given them in the deal. At least with the Seven deal they have been transparent about its value and the figure of $30mill a year reduction on their Fox deal seems to be consistently put out there. We've got nothing to go on.

No you dont know that at all, we have no official confirmation that it is $1billion (I have seen $1.1billion and I have seen "around $1billion" in reports lol) or its duration or what is in it. IF it is $1billion from 2023- then it seems a great deal. If it is $1bill for 20- then it seems a sht deal. And if it is from 23- what are they paying for 20-22?
We just dont know yet.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The AFL have done a deal to show games in USA, do we have something similar?

Well everyone was creaming themselves about how we are now best friends with Fox they would promote NRL in USA and during this sports starved time NRL would have a great opportunity for new exposure. Well AFL's back and they drop NRL to show AFL over there. Seems we still arent as close as we thought!

Canard

Immortal
Looking at the story below it looks like th NRL did good compared to AFL. Or as some Suun Heald repoter said, "We got schooled by the NRL in negotiations, Michael warne.

So irt looks like the AFL paid discounts of around 170 million over the 3 remaing contract years AND including 90m from Foxtel over the 3 years.

Grand Total AFL 170 m

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/efb0f79d9c3a9e8d312b7a91c7e79596
Broadcasters switch their focus to a cutting cricket’s fees

Cricket Australia will be the next target for broadcasters seeking a review of their rights fees following the COVID–19 pandemic. Picture: Michael Klein
Broadcasters will now turn their attention to cricket and seek a reduction in rights fees for the summer sport, after achieving about $300m in savings from what they pay to the AFL and NRL.

Cricket Australia will this year enter into the third season of a record six-year $1.18bn domestic broadcast deal with Seven West Media and Foxtel but broadcasters have already indicated they want to renegotiate the deal in light of the media landscape.

Relive the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 on KAYO. Watch complete and condensed replays of the biggest matches. New to Kayo? Get your free trial now & start streaming instantly >

But if the broadcasters achieve similar savings to that for the football codes, cricket may receive $25-35m less per season from the upcoming summer onwards.

Seven late last week managed to re-cut its AFL rights deal until 2022 as well as extending the contract to the end of 2024. It told the ASX it expects to save $87m until 2022, though that figure could be more than $120m through to 2024 including production and other associated costs based on the previous value of its contract.

It is paying $730m cash and contra for the AFL over the next five seasons, with the contra component believed to be up to $50m.

The free-to-air network is understood to have negotiated a cut in its AFL fees of up to 17 per cent and will almost certainly seek some savings on the rights fees it is paying for cricket and the Tokyo Olympics, which have been delayed until 2021.

Similarly, Foxtel struck a deal to pay about $90m less for AFL rights for the next three years through to the end of 2022. It also negotiated substantial savings on its NRL deal and extended that contract until 2027.

When asked if cricket was next on the broadcaster’s hit list, one network executive told The Australian: “Yes, 100 per cent.”

Seven is paying about $75m cash for the cricket rights and $7m contra every year, for a contract that lasts until the end of the 2023-24 summer season. The amounts are paid in three instalments between September and March each season. Foxtel pays almost exactly $100m in cash in the same period and about another $10m in contra arrangements.

After lower-than-expected ratings, Seven reportedly attempted to sell its share of the cricket rights to rival Ten Network earlier this year, only to be rebuffed.

But in a clear sign the network believed the rights to be more expensive than their value, Seven took a $52m provision on onerous contacts, including its cricket deal, when it announced its half-year financial results in February.

In an email from Cricket Australia management to The Australian Cricketers Association in early June, the governing body indicated that broadcasters may ask for a discount on their contracts.

It said “Australian Cricket Revenue” could fall by $240m over the next two summers from previous forecasts due to crowd restrictions, lack of stadium income and “reductions in the value of commercial and broadcast assets”.

The Big Bash has shat the bed, as usual greedy TV and Sports execs over exposed the shit out of it, and now nobody cares.

Covid or not, it was getting devalued.

taipan

Referee
What? I have been VERY clear in my commentary where we have some evidence and where it is conjecture. Ive been very consistent that on the issue of the TV deal we dont know if Vlandys has fcked us or saved us. Or if AFL got a better deal or not.
I am very suss at the lack of transparency about the deal and the "commercial confidence" excuse when that has never been an issue in any other TV deal, and given Ch9 broadcast its savings its hardly secret squirrel.
I dont know if its great or not because we dont know what the 5 years is worth or what we've given them in the deal. At least with the Seven deal they have been transparent about its value and the figure of $30mill a year reduction on their Fox deal seems to be consistently put out there. We've got nothing to go on.

No you dont know that at all, we have no official confirmation that it is $1billion (I have seen $1.1billion and I have seen "around $1billion" in reports lol) or its duration or what is in it. IF it is $1billion from 2023- then it seems a great deal. If it is $1bill for 20- then it seems a sht deal. And if it is from 23- what are they paying for 20-22?
We just dont know yet.

If you state you have been clear it's conjecture why continue to bag V'Landys on an unknown?
I didn't state exactly $1bn,the figure has been bandied around $1bn or $1.1bn, which has been consistent with guesswork by journos.Certainly not less.

All I know ,V'Landys has stated regularly ,the code had too many leaks in the past from the administration.
He negotiated his deal (adjusted) with the Tv stations about a fortnight ahead of the AFL.Why would you let your major competitor know ,your adjusted figures more so Foxtel, and let them know what the extended Foxtel deal was.

I use the great example years ago with your mate Smith who blabbed his Nine deal, then we got rogered by a better deal to the AFL with an extra supposedly $500m.

I go back even further when Gallop babbled on about getting the best Tv deal in the country $500m for 6 years, then the AFL gets $780m over 5 years.
It would appear sometimes for sport's administrators to STFU, because it can backfire.
We know for sure the NRL took a haircut, as did the AFL, as did the ARU who interestingly have not advised their actual figure.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If you state you have been clear it's conjecture why continue to bag V'Landys on an unknown?
I didn't state exactly $1bn,the figure has been bandied around $1bn or $1.1bn, which has been consistent with guesswork by journos.Certainly not less.

All I know ,V'Landys has stated regularly ,the code had too many leaks in the past from the administration.
He negotiated his deal (adjusted) with the Tv stations about a fortnight ahead of the AFL.Why would you let your major competitor know ,your adjusted figures more so Foxtel, and let them know what the extended Foxtel deal was.

I use the great example years ago with your mate Smith who blabbed his Nine deal, then we got rogered by a better deal to the AFL with an extra supposedly $500m.

I go back even further when Gallop babbled on about getting the best Tv deal in the country $500m for 6 years, then the AFL gets $780m over 5 years.
It would appear sometimes for sport's administrators to STFU, because it can backfire.
We know for sure the NRL took a haircut, as did the AFL, as did the ARU who interestingly have not advised their actual figure.

For the umpteenth time I havent bagged Vlandys for the tv deal on anything other than his lack of transparency on what he has signed us up for. We don’t Know the deals so I havent been critical or praising. When we can see the figures we can decide on his performance.

typicalfan

Coach
The Big Bash has shat the bed, as usual greedy TV and Sports execs over exposed the shit out of it, and now nobody cares.

Covid or not, it was getting devalued.
Cricket has been on the decline due to poor management for a while now, highlighted by the farcical pay stand off years ago.

Cricket has sold it's soul as RU did after the 2003 world cup.

For the umpteenth time I havent bagged Vlandys for the tv deal on anything other than his lack of transparency on what he has signed us up for. We don’t Know the deals so I havent been critical or praising. When we can see the figures we can decide on his performance.
Bullshit .
You have ranted about PVL giving Ch9 a gift of 100 mill .
Amongst many other rants about how much he has given or given in
So don't post a straight out lie .

T to the T

Juniors
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/peter-...greement/f4115091-b308-41fb-be57-f67336a89e9d

Peter V'landys slams AFL over 'laughable' comments on NRL's TV rights deal

ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys has unleashed on the AFL for its "laughable" suggestion that the NRL gave up $300 million on its revised TV deal with Nine and Foxtel.

V'landys' comments came after the AFL reportedly notified its stakeholders of the discount the NRL had given its broadcasters before settling on its own revised broadcast deal last week.

However, in a stinging rebuke, V'landys told the Herald Sun that the AFL's claims were merely "fictional".

"I'm disappointed that they feel they need to make up figures," he said.

"Nobody knows our figures because we've kept them commercially in-confidence.

"But looking at their figures, if they have given up $150 million, we have done substantially better than them.

"And if they knew the real figures, they'd be stopping the comparisons very quickly, because it doesn't help them.

"I think they have had a dose of reality."

While the AFL was able to renew its free-to-air deal with Seven through 2024, a deal is yet to be done with Foxtel, and V'landys declared that the AFL had made a "massive mistake" in that regard.

In comparison to the AFL, the NRL has extended its deal with Foxtel through 2027.

"What the AFL don't tell you is that the majority of revenue for both the NRL and the AFL comes from Foxtel and it was important for us at the NRL to get the major partner done first and foremost," he said.

"That's the one we rely on most. It's given us security of revenues for another seven years.

"We have a deal that secures our future and I think the AFL have made a massive mistake by not getting Foxtel over the line."

There has been a fair amount of cross-code sparring during both the AFL and NRL's respective hiatuses, and V'landys said AFL figures had a "fascination" with the NRL.

"I have never dwelt into their business, I've never made a comment about their business unless someone asked me a question, yet they have this fascination with our business," he said.

"The AFL should concentrate on itself and not worry about other businesses.

"I don't worry about them. I'm focused on getting the best deal for the NRL.

"For them to go out and say such fiction without knowing is a concern about them more so than us."

V'landys' jabs at the AFL followed a wildly successful return for the competition, with the nine matches from Round 2 resulting in huge TV ratings.

Fans hungry for their first taste of football in nearly 12 weeks warmly welcomed the AFL back, with almost 5.8 million tuning in across round two.

That figure - based on OzTAM data - equates to a 1.8 million bump on last year's average of 3.969 million per regular-season round.

Thursday and Friday night's prime-time blockbusters propped up the result.

Collingwood and Richmond's dour 36-all draw attracted a national audience of 1.643m across free-to-air and subscription channels, while Geelong's 61-point blowout of Hawthorn had 1.278m viewers.

- With AAP

Latest posts