What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 Vs Storm

Kilkenny

Coach
Teams always have one benchie getting not much time

Is that a good thing thou?

Does Kikau really need to play big minutes, would he not be more useful only play 50?

I just think we would be better served by playing some players, particularly Kikau less minutes and other playing more.

Kikau is capable of being a match winner, but he rarely is, given we use him as a cart horse for the most part. If the stats are right on NRL he had 13 runs against the Eels for 90 metres or so? Is that really good enough for one of our main strike players. What does that say about Kikau or what does that say about our offence? I don’t know but which ever way you look at it, it ain’ good enough.

mxlegend99

Referee
This game is extremely important for us IMO... we lose this and the mindset i think changes alot. Would only have a 1 from 4 win record on the restart which the players and coach would surely be aware of

A week ago we could say we were undefeated and a win here means we could enter Round 7 with only one loss which just paints an insanely different picture and I think mindset for the players.

Sadly Storm are our worst team by far to play... Which i think would add to the mindset if we won it. Beating a great side that we traditionally struggle against to have only 1 loss in 6 rounds.

franklin2323

Immortal

Does Kikau really need to play big minutes, would he not be more useful only play 50?

I just think we would be better served by playing some players, particularly Kikau less minutes and other playing more.

Kikau is capable of being a match winner, but he rarely is, given we use him as a cart horse for the most part. If the stats are right on NRL he had 13 runs against the Eels for 90 metres or so? Is that really good enough for one of our main strike players. What does that say about Kikau or what does that say about our offence? I don’t know but which ever way you look at it, it ain’ good enough.

I don’t think they would do it if they had the choice. Don’t waste changes incase an injury happens.

Say we take Kikau off for a ‘rest’ and plan to use him as our last change. Before we can use the change a back goes down... We’d have a fresh Burton there or play someone out of position.

So coaches would rather keep the changes if they can. as for Kikau just need to use him better

Kilkenny

Coach

I don’t think they would do it if they had the choice. Don’t waste changes incase an injury happens.

Say we take Kikau off for a ‘rest’ and plan to use him as our last change. Before we can use the change a back goes down... We’d have a fresh Burton there or play someone out of position.

So coaches would rather keep the changes if they can. as for Kikau just need to use him better

I just made a post about Kikau elsewhere. I am at a total loss about how ineffectual he is for the most part when he should be an absolute weapon?

franklin2323

Immortal
This game is extremely important for us IMO... we lose this and the mindset i think changes alot. Would only have a 1 from 4 win record on the restart which the players and coach would surely be aware of

A week ago we could say we were undefeated and a win here means we could enter Round 7 with only one loss which just paints an insanely different picture and I think mindset for the players.

Sadly Storm are our worst team by far to play... Which i think would add to the mindset if we won it. Beating a great side that we traditionally struggle against to have only 1 loss in 6 rounds.

The restart was always going to be hard for us. Given the circumstances. 5 wins an draw after 10 rounds should be the target. Then can have combinations and guys in form and go from there

Kilkenny

Coach
The restart was always going to be hard for us. Given the circumstances. 5 wins an draw after 10 rounds should be the target. Then can have combinations and guys in form and go from there

I’m not sure there are any specific targets other than we need to win every game!!!

The re-start was no tougher for us than any other side.

I think we were entitled to beat the Eels given we were 10-0 up at half time and I feel aggrieved we lost the game but for a six minute period where they got the job done.

The next two weeks are huge, not just the Storm but our next game against the Bunnies is no gimme.

franklin2323

Immortal
I’m not sure there are any specific targets other than we need to win every game!!!

The re-start was no tougher for us than any other side.

I think we were entitled to beat the Eels given we were 10-0 up at half time and I feel aggrieved we lost the game but for a six minute period where they got the job done.

The next two weeks are huge, not just the Storm but our next game against the Bunnies is no gimme.

Not too many sides were missing their fullback and halfback then had 3 likely top 4 teams in the 1st 5 games back

mxlegend99

Referee
Not too many sides were missing their fullback and halfback then had 3 likely top 4 teams in the 1st 5 games back
Knights were when they came back from 14 nil down to draw with us scoring more tries than us with none of their spine.

That Knights 17 on that day was not close to top 4 material. Take out Pearce and Watson early on while we're up by 14 points. That should have been a blowout no matter what our 17 was at the time. 2 weeks later we surrender a 10 point lead to Eels with 16 points in 6 minutes. Just says we arent top 4 material.

franklin2323

Immortal
Knights were when they came back from 14 nil down to draw with us scoring more tries than us with none of their spine.

That Knights 17 on that day was not close to top 4 material. Take out Pearce and Watson early on while we're up by 14 points. That should have been a blowout no matter what our 17 was at the time. 2 weeks later we surrender a 10 point lead to Eels with 16 points in 6 minutes. Just says we arent top 4 material.

We are far from a top 4 side. Parra, Storm and Souths are. I think we win v Parra if Edwards plays. See how we go v Storm and Souths.

After Souths though we have Canberra. The rest are winnable and that sets us up well for the end of season

The_Frog

First Grade
We are far from a top 4 side. Parra, Storm and Souths are. I think we win v Parra if Edwards plays. See how we go v Storm and Souths.

After Souths though we have Canberra. The rest are winnable and that sets us up well for the end of season
Work in progress. Coach's words. I don't think he expects to make the top 4 this year either but that doesn't mean you don't try.

martielang

Bench
I just made a post about Kikau elsewhere. I am at a total loss about how ineffectual he is for the most part when he should be an absolute weapon?

You made some good points in the other thread & completely right re; his impact.

We seem to give him the ball really close to the line where his footwork is limited. He’s extremely athletic, I’d think for the most part you’d want to give him the ball with time before the defensively line which we don’t seem to do. I’m #teamluai but I wonder if Burton would be more effective with him.

I also wonder if IC is also limiting his offload? That’s where Lane & Matterson seem to excel as well.

betcats

Referee
You made some good points in the other thread & completely right re; his impact.

We seem to give him the ball really close to the line where his footwork is limited. He’s extremely athletic, I’d think for the most part you’d want to give him the ball with time before the defensively line which we don’t seem to do. I’m #teamluai but I wonder if Burton would be more effective with him.

I also wonder if IC is also limiting his offload? That’s where Lane & Matterson seem to excel as well.

Kikau does get a fair bit of early ball, he needs more though in our attacking zone. To me he looks like he is always trying to offload so its hard to imagine its been limited.

betcats

Referee
Ive been massively impressed with the effort Kikau is putting in defending

Yep, he works incredibly hard defensively.

By the end Parra game he was buggered I think, he had been quiet with the ball all game though, Kapewell going down meant Kikau didnt get a rest which didn't help. When we had those attacking sets late in the game Cleary and Burton just kept going to him, it was easy to read. They had to try him as a decoy again.

The yak

Juniors
We are far from a top 4 side. Parra, Storm and Souths are. I think we win v Parra if Edwards plays.

I am not convinced Souths are top 4 material. That pack is a little short upfront and it shows.
They won't play the Titans every week.
My top 4 at the moment: Parra, Roosters, Raiders and Storm. Maybe 1 or 2 others could pop up.
Storm are slipping a little, but you have to play really well to beat them.

When you are up 10 nil after an hour of match time and other mob haven't scored a point yet, you really should win the match. Regardless if Edwards is there or not.

franklin2323

Immortal
I am not convinced Souths are top 4 material. That pack is a little short upfront and it shows.
They won't play the Titans every week.
My top 4 at the moment: Parra, Roosters, Raiders and Storm. Maybe 1 or 2 others could pop up.
Storm are slipping a little, but you have to play really well to beat them.

When you are up 10 nil after an hour of match time and other mob haven't scored a point yet, you really should win the match. Regardless if Edwards is there or not.

I don’t argue that with you it just shows how far off we are. A few tweeks and we are fine

franklin2323

Immortal
Work in progress. Coach's words. I don't think he expects to make the top 4 this year either but that doesn't mean you don't try.

I agree with that. Of course we try but it is hardly the end of the world should we lose the next couple of games. Given I expect both to finish higher than us

franklin2323

Immortal
Yep, he works incredibly hard defensively.

By the end Parra game he was buggered I think, he had been quiet with the ball all game though, Kapewell going down meant Kikau didnt get a rest which didn't help. When we had those attacking sets late in the game Cleary and Burton just kept going to him, it was easy to read. They had to try him as a decoy again.

Yeah it is that kind of match awareness that we lack right now

The_Frog

First Grade
I agree with that. Of course we try but it is hardly the end of the world should we lose the next couple of games. Given I expect both to finish higher than us
I think we can beat the Rabbitohs. We can beat the Storm too but they'll be much tougher.

Latest posts