What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A message from the CEO

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
All members received the following from the CEO...enjoy...

Dear Red V members, corporate partners and supporters,

A lot has happened in the last couple of months since I began in the role here at the St George Illawarra Dragons.

The competition was shut down and then restarted, our staff had to take decreased working hours, while the NRL's implementation of the Apollo Project allowed our team to get back to training and ultimately return to play in empty stadiums. Shortly, we will welcome members, corporate partners and fans back into the stands on game days.

Although the Covid-19 restrictions on the wider community have eased in recent weeks, the same cannot be said for our players and staff, who sit on our Apollo Protocol register. Instead they have permanently shared their time between our training base at WIN Stadium, Wollongong, at home and, if required, at games.

The NRL are hoping that soon there can be a relaxation of these restrictions which will be welcomed by all across the competition.

I would like to take the opportunity to update you on all activities across a few key areas within the club.

Red V Membership

With the announcement of crowds returning to stadiums from July 1, we are looking forward to having our Red V members return to games in the second half of the 2020 season.

Members will receive an email this Wednesday outlining the club's membership resolution options in the light of the COVID-19 interrupted season.

Thank you to all Red V members for your patience while the club worked through the various options in the face of the ever-changing government guidelines.

Football

The football department has been under tremendous pressure in recent weeks, and rightly so. Nobody at the club was happy with the opening month of performances, although it was pleasing to see the Dragons earn their first win of the 2020 campaign on Sunday.

I understand that not all members and fans agree with the board's decision to publicly support coach Paul McGregor last week. Their decision on Paul's future was one out of loyalty and backed by the entire club's commitment to improve.

Moreover, it seems there is a lot the narrative surrounding the club currently targeting negative connotations. I thought it worth clarifying a few points:
  • Tristan Sailor has not requested a release;
  • Jason Saab has requested a release which the club have denied. We are now working with Jason and his manager in an effort to overcome his off-field concerns; and,
  • Isaac Luke has also requested a release for personal reasons regarding his family. While not yet confirmed, Issac's release will be finalised this week. The club are also comfortable with its current crop of hookers considering Cameron McInnes, Billy Brittain and Ben Hunt's ability to all don the No. 9 jumper.
2020 NRL Women's Premiership

We are very excited that the women's competition will be running this year after a period of uncertainty. Thanks to Andrew Abdo and the NRL for making this happen. Our commitment to the women's game was never in doubt throughout the Covid-19 pandemic and we're pleased we now have the opportunity to avenge our 2019 grand final loss.

Corporate Partners

Our partners have been very supportive during the lockdown period. Their support has been unwavering, and we look forward to welcoming them back to matches in the coming weeks. I'd like to again call out our apparel partners in St.George Bank, TripADeal, Westfund, Modus Projects, Deicorp, Xblades and Paul's Customs and Freight Forwarding Solutions.

We were also fortunate to have Arc Energy join the club recently. You will see their branding on the trainers' apparel on match day. Thank you to Arc Energy for your support in difficult times. We look forward to announcing some new corporate partners in the coming weeks.

Financial

It has become obvious that there is a misconception around the Dragons' financial status. The consensus seems to be the club is not in a strong position financially and as such we are forced to make compromised decisions when it comes to investing into our football and commercial activities. This is not the case at all.

We are fortunate to have two shareholders (the St George District Rugby League Football Club and WIN TV) who are both in very good financial positions. The Dragons have no debt with the NRL and were aiming to make a profit this year before the COVID-19 interruption. In saying that, I believe we will get through this season financially as well as any club in the NRL.

Thank you

The Dragons' board, executive team and staff are and committed to ensuring our club emerges from these challenging times in a strong position and financially secure.

Thank you to all our members, corporate partners and fans for your patience, understanding and support throughout this period.

As always, please take care and do everything you can to ensure those near and dear to you remain healthy and safe.

Yours faithfully,

Ryan Webb
CEO - St George Illawarra Dragons

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-15_16-53-3.jpeg
    upload_2020-6-15_16-53-3.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 8
  • upload_2020-6-15_16-53-3.png
    upload_2020-6-15_16-53-3.png
    282.9 KB · Views: 7
  • upload_2020-6-15_16-53-14.jpeg
    upload_2020-6-15_16-53-14.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 6
  • upload_2020-6-15_16-53-14.png
    upload_2020-6-15_16-53-14.png
    282.9 KB · Views: 6

HenryTatana

Juniors
“Their decision on Paul's future was one out of loyalty and backed by the entire club's commitment to improve.”

Out of Loyalty. You kidding me, right? Loyalty for what? Painting the f**king gym.

Mr Webb, as CEO I think you missed the bus in terms of the timing of your message. Then again, you’re just another puppet of the dysfunctional board.

Brutalitops

Juniors
I do not envy this bloke coming into an environment that is clearly too stubborn to change. Part of me likes to think he is doing his best to find the balance between old and new, and I do appreciate him doing stuff like this message to fans, and his personal responses to fan emails in recent months.

Not perfect of course but I'm just trying to find the positives in this shambles of a club

piesplusreturns

Juniors
I do not envy this bloke coming into an environment that is clearly too stubborn to change. Part of me likes to think he is doing his best to find the balance between old and new, and I do appreciate him doing stuff like this message to fans, and his personal responses to fan emails in recent months.

Not perfect of course but I'm just trying to find the positives in this shambles of a club

They should be tapping Nova Employment for a major sponsorship deal.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
"I understand that not all members and fans agree with the board's decision to publicly support coach Paul McGregor last week. Their decision on Paul's future was one out of loyalty and backed by the entire club's commitment to improve"

Very interesting wording used here:
- Publicly support : can that be seen as privately they didn't?
- Paul's future : not long term future or even say he will see out his contract etc.
Out of loyalty : can that be seen as we didn't want to embarrass him there and then.
Entire Clubs committment to improve : very strange corporate speak, like we know we've done nothing until now.

Plenty of chat around about a new coach, and as I said last week, it appears buying time to hastily finalise deals behind the scenes.
Now with the latest media post from Hooper, and the real lack of enthusism shown by McGregor in the presser (it seemed in a weird way he wasn't that happy that we won, and won well), there seems to be the start of the 'writing on the wall' for him

Dragsters

First Grade
“Their decision on Paul's future was one out of loyalty and backed by the entire club's commitment to improve.”

Out of Loyalty. You kidding me, right? Loyalty for what? Painting the f**king gym.

Mr Webb, as CEO I think you missed the bus in terms of the timing of your message. Then again, you’re just another puppet of the dysfunctional board.

A decision based on loyalty between Andrew Gordon and his mate McGregor.

A totally unacceptable and unprofessional pretense...

Mary was very subdued in the Presser.

Now we know why.

The muppet was outvoted on team selection and the players responded accordingly by having a go.

Sharks were ordinary but our intensity level was markedly up.

Great to see the forwards lifted providing more space for the halves.

Our kicking game was much better as was the chase.

Will be interesting to see if the selection committee makes further changes.

BLM01

First Grade

Now we know why.

The muppet was outvoted on team selection and the players responded accordingly by having a go.

Yes footprints in all areas of the building
His footprints have been shoved in his gob for the time being and has been told to sit over their in corner and behave, listen and learn...finally :)

BLM01

First Grade
All members received the following from the CEO...enjoy...

Dear Red V members, corporate partners and supporters,

A lot has happened in the last couple of months since I began in the role here at the St George Illawarra Dragons.

The competition was shut down and then restarted, our staff had to take decreased working hours, while the NRL's implementation of the Apollo Project allowed our team to get back to training and ultimately return to play in empty stadiums. Shortly, we will welcome members, corporate partners and fans back into the stands on game days.

Although the Covid-19 restrictions on the wider community have eased in recent weeks, the same cannot be said for our players and staff, who sit on our Apollo Protocol register. Instead they have permanently shared their time between our training base at WIN Stadium, Wollongong, at home and, if required, at games.

The NRL are hoping that soon there can be a relaxation of these restrictions which will be welcomed by all across the competition.

I would like to take the opportunity to update you on all activities across a few key areas within the club.

Red V Membership

With the announcement of crowds returning to stadiums from July 1, we are looking forward to having our Red V members return to games in the second half of the 2020 season.

Members will receive an email this Wednesday outlining the club's membership resolution options in the light of the COVID-19 interrupted season.

Thank you to all Red V members for your patience while the club worked through the various options in the face of the ever-changing government guidelines.

Football

The football department has been under tremendous pressure in recent weeks, and rightly so. Nobody at the club was happy with the opening month of performances, although it was pleasing to see the Dragons earn their first win of the 2020 campaign on Sunday.

I understand that not all members and fans agree with the board's decision to publicly support coach Paul McGregor last week. Their decision on Paul's future was one out of loyalty and backed by the entire club's commitment to improve.

Moreover, it seems there is a lot the narrative surrounding the club currently targeting negative connotations. I thought it worth clarifying a few points:
  • Tristan Sailor has not requested a release;
  • Jason Saab has requested a release which the club have denied. We are now working with Jason and his manager in an effort to overcome his off-field concerns; and,
  • Isaac Luke has also requested a release for personal reasons regarding his family. While not yet confirmed, Issac's release will be finalised this week. The club are also comfortable with its current crop of hookers considering Cameron McInnes, Billy Brittain and Ben Hunt's ability to all don the No. 9 jumper.
2020 NRL Women's Premiership

We are very excited that the women's competition will be running this year after a period of uncertainty. Thanks to Andrew Abdo and the NRL for making this happen. Our commitment to the women's game was never in doubt throughout the Covid-19 pandemic and we're pleased we now have the opportunity to avenge our 2019 grand final loss.

Corporate Partners

Our partners have been very supportive during the lockdown period. Their support has been unwavering, and we look forward to welcoming them back to matches in the coming weeks. I'd like to again call out our apparel partners in St.George Bank, TripADeal, Westfund, Modus Projects, Deicorp, Xblades and Paul's Customs and Freight Forwarding Solutions.

We were also fortunate to have Arc Energy join the club recently. You will see their branding on the trainers' apparel on match day. Thank you to Arc Energy for your support in difficult times. We look forward to announcing some new corporate partners in the coming weeks.

Financial

It has become obvious that there is a misconception around the Dragons' financial status. The consensus seems to be the club is not in a strong position financially and as such we are forced to make compromised decisions when it comes to investing into our football and commercial activities. This is not the case at all.

We are fortunate to have two shareholders (the St George District Rugby League Football Club and WIN TV) who are both in very good financial positions. The Dragons have no debt with the NRL and were aiming to make a profit this year before the COVID-19 interruption. In saying that, I believe we will get through this season financially as well as any club in the NRL.

Thank you

The Dragons' board, executive team and staff are and committed to ensuring our club emerges from these challenging times in a strong position and financially secure.

Thank you to all our members, corporate partners and fans for your patience, understanding and support throughout this period.

As always, please take care and do everything you can to ensure those near and dear to you remain healthy and safe.

Yours faithfully,

Ryan Webb
CEO - St George Illawarra Dragons
membership drive..perhaps?.very timely
Loyalty.....I think the words you are looking for is "error in judgement when offering a contract 1 year ago"

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade

Now we know why.

Hey mate, where are you hearing the McFlop didn't pick the team?

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Andrew Gordon is still hiding behind his rookie CEO- gutless wonder. Contrast him to Bulldogs Chair Lynne Anderson- front and centre with the Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill when announcing the signing of Luke Thompson.

Breaking down the code, the message from Webb seems to be

We have a coach who we publicly support because we stuffed up and extended him but privately would love to get rid of. We have the money but it would cost too much to pay him out and the Gordons didn't get rich by being generous. Meanwhile, we have built a selection and coaching team around the Head Coach to ensure that his incompetence has minimal impact on the team until such time as its cost effective to get rid of him.

Have a nice day
Ryan