What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

azza29

Juniors
Stadium consolidation was one of the best moves AFL made in the 90s, even abandoned a massive suburban ground to make it work. I think the NRL needs more than two venues in Sydney but there’s definitely merit in the idea.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Exactly. The same old rusty argument, when the real solution is to centralise stadia into 2-3 top spec, decent capacity grounds, and lobby hard for decent spend on public transport to make getting to & from those stadia easy - no matter where you live.

The spinoff of that is that a better PT system makes it easier to get to ANYTHING, not just footy games.

But no, every damn suburb needs a top-tier league team playing in that suburb, because tradition.

Not sure if having "centralise stadia" would work well in Sydney, especially if one of those stadiums is configured in the shape for an athletics meet.

And with regards to tradition, you still want that home and away element. Rugby League is still a sport. The NRL is still a competition. Down in Melbourne, nine AFL sides share two stadiums. That's beyond ridiculous.Over in England, in the EPL, Anfield and Goodison Park are a stones throw away from each other.

Now with the suburban grounds in Sydney , not every venue needs to be upgraded, and not every venue needs to be discarded either. It's just a case of priority.

blue bags

First Grade
It’s pretty simple
Panthers - Penrith stadium
Tigers - Bankwest
Bulldogs - Bankwest
Eels - Bankwest
Souths - Moore Park
Easts - Moore Park
Manly - Brooky
Sharks - Cronulla
Dragons - The Gong

ANZ should only be for GF and Origin
ANZ should be the home of the NRL

and what about kogarah jubilee oval, cambeltown sports ground

T-Boon

Coach
Why do people keep mentioning Souths at Moore Park when the club has said their future is out west where the real fans are.

Because it is a baffling thought.
Very hard to accept.
That a club would just relocate like that.
When has that happened before?
But at the same time stupidly kept the same name.

Because it is a baffling thought.
Very hard to accept.
That a club would just relocate like that.
When has that happened before?
But at the same time stupidly kept the same name.

The name stays to keep the connection to the old district, I guess. Plus there’d be a riot if they changed the name. They could relocate to Perth and still be South Sydney.

magpie_man

Juniors
Why do people keep mentioning Souths at Moore Park when the club has said their future is out west where the real fans are.

I still see a lot of Rabbitohs paraphernalia around whenever I'm working in the South Sydney area...
More than any other club by a significant margin, including the Swans.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I still see a lot of Rabbitohs paraphernalia around whenever I'm working in the South Sydney area...

now Souths are the millionaires club surely it’s time for roosters to realign to the north and Souths to move back to that area and cover the whole eastern suburb area?

Sure, the fans are still there but the ones that actually attend games in significant numbers live out west. I’m assuming that’s the thinking amongst the Souths brain trust otherwise it makes no sense. Souths fans may have more knowledge of it, I’m just trying to make sense of it.

ash the bash

Juniors
It’s pretty simple
Panthers - Penrith stadium
Tigers - Bankwest
Bulldogs - Bankwest
Eels - Bankwest
Souths - Moore Park
Easts - Moore Park
Manly - Brooky
Sharks - Cronulla
Dragons - The Gong

ANZ should only be for GF and Origin

Only changes I would make.

Wests Tigers - Bankwest 6, Campbelltown 3, Leichardt Oval 3
Dragons - Win 6, Jubilee 6

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sure, the fans are still there but the ones that actually attend games in significant numbers live out west. I’m assuming that’s the thinking amongst the Souths brain trust otherwise it makes no sense. Souths fans may have more knowledge of it, I’m just trying to make sense of it.

the anz deal was sweet with guaranteed income no matter how many turned up. Lazy money. Having said that their crowds in last 7 years have been mostly good and over 16k so maybe it is better they are another western Sydney club.

ash the bash

Juniors

True to an extent, however I think they exaggerate the numbers a bit to justify the good deal cash wise they get ANZ. Have heard that once new SFS is done, likely Souths will move back. Part of the plan is to get more patronage to the Juniors before and after games. New tram station is just in front of the Juniors club. South Sydney also has moved offices into Juniors at present till Heffron is done. The relationship is getting stronger between the senior and junior clubs. Including running juniors in souths district and the reserves Juniors contribute north to a million for Souths. Think sometime in the distant future Juniors will become part owners of Souths.

siv

First Grade
Parking has always been a issue at the SFS

This is where ANZ wins for many supporters

You can park and walk 2 min to the entrance

Thats why a multi-story car park next to the SFS just within the showgrounds just to east of the SFS where can can enter exit from Moore Park Rd is a must long term. As Moore Park Rd has good freeway access

Pommy

Coach
True to an extent, however I think they exaggerate the numbers a bit to justify the good deal cash wise they get ANZ. Have heard that once new SFS is done, likely Souths will move back. Part of the plan is to get more patronage to the Juniors before and after games. New tram station is just in front of the Juniors club. South Sydney also has moved offices into Juniors at present till Heffron is done. The relationship is getting stronger between the senior and junior clubs. Including running juniors in souths district and the reserves Juniors contribute north to a million for Souths. Think sometime in the distant future Juniors will become part owners of Souths.

A move east isn’t a great business move for Souths in my opinion.
we play so many Thursday and Friday games that no matter how good the parking is it’s still a nightmare to get in to the city from out west where the fans are. We’re already at Homebush they might as well go a little further and move to bankwest and have a decent stadium.

Thats why a multi-story car park next to the SFS just within the showgrounds just to east of the SFS where can can enter exit from Moore Park Rd is a must long term. As Moore Park Rd has good freeway access

You’re right but I can just see Clover Moore getting in the way. It’s what she does.