What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 6 vs Cowboys @ Campbelltown Stadium

Who will win? Round 6: Wests Tigers v Cowboys

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Queensland Cowboys 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vozzy

Juniors
Before season 2019 began I was saying to myself after the Ivan Cleary debacle that it's going to take at least til 2021 to judge whether Michael McGuire is going to be able to make this team consistently competitive. Last season before a ball was kicked I was saying to myself any win is a bonus because he was working with players he never recruited. 2020 was a year he started to buy players he wanted for his style. Now judging by the team selection the last 3 weeks it looks like he is trying different players to see who will earn a long term starting spot by 2021. So again any win is a bonus but yes we haven't made the finals in ages but with the cattle he has he is probably making the best decisions for the long term. I'm a realist when it comes to the tigers I haven't been either upset or happy with the wins and losses this season because I haven't had expectations till

BrotherJim05

Bench
Regardless of the result, we went toe to toe with a Top 4 team and put on an absolutely fantastic defensive effort. Without going into excuses (there really were a few), we ran out of gas and just couldn't put on enough points to win the game.

Defence comes off the back of effort. All NRL players can tackle, otherwise they wouldn't have made it past park footy. Madge showed he can get majority of the team putting in a solid defensive effort which is very pleasing.

Cowboys are a much weaker team than Raiders. If we show up with the same defensive effort then the points will come much more naturally

Vozzy

Juniors
Also without reserve grade it's hard to know of at training Madge is noticing who is putting in more than others. It's hard to pick on form this way with the squad. Maybe a few players are in similar form, fitness or have slight knocks here or there making picking the right team a bit harder.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Regardless of the result, we went toe to toe with a Top 4 team and put on an absolutely fantastic defensive effort. Without going into excuses (there really were a few), we ran out of gas and just couldn't put on enough points to win the game.

Defence comes off the back of effort. All NRL players can tackle, otherwise they wouldn't have made it past park footy. Madge showed he can get majority of the team putting in a solid defensive effort which is very pleasing.

Cowboys are a much weaker team than Raiders. If we show up with the same defensive effort then the points will come much more naturally

I think this is a great analysis. Canberra are a very good side. We were a Russell Packer shirt tug away from being right in the finish.
I actually thought the ball made it to the outside more often with Brooks and Reynolds in the halves. Benji is very sideways which crowds the players outside him, There will be more points in the current team.

WA Tiger

Bench
Good to see f&^%$@g Jennings back.
Madge doesn’t know or when how to give up on a player ..We saw Jennings is a major liability and I’m pretty sure he’s come back from outside last weeks 21. How does that work and what message does it make for other players..I’m close to giving up on Madge...He’s a lot like Jennings ..He looks ok for half the time..the other half he shows fear and error of judgement even I can see...if we lose this game I think Ill have a laugh. That’s where I’m at. I hope Josh has a good game He has to coz Brookes is going to be tits on a Bull..I hope I’m wrong

BrotherJim05

Bench
Madge doesn’t know or when how to give up on a player ..We saw Jennings is a major liability and I’m pretty sure he’s come back from outside last weeks 21. How does that work and what message does it make for other players..I’m close to giving up on Madge...He’s a lot like Jennings ..He looks ok for half the time..the other half he shows fear and error of judgement even I can see...if we lose this game I think Ill have a laugh. That’s where I’m at. I hope Josh has a good game He has to coz Brookes is going to be tits on a Bull..I hope I’m wrong

Jennings and Talau are the only options. I'm not saying Jennings is better than Talau but I'm sure there are a lot of little things not obvious to us that Jennings does that Talau doesn't.

I'm not giving up on Madge until he has assembled at least 2/3 the team that he wants and all the dead wood is gone.

I've said this for a while, the only way we are gonna build a decent roster is in steps:
1. Get rid of dead wood
2. Make the Top 8
3. Young players develop into solid first graders while not on huge contracts
3. Sign an marquee player we can build the team around that other players want to play for
4. Finish the squad with more players that want to play with the player from step 3

Until Madge gets to step 4 we have to back him 100%. I know it sounds crazy but he's the best coach we are going to get for a long time

Rugby league legend Peter Sterling fears it could be some time until we see Benji Marshall back in the Wests Tigers' first grade squad.

Marshall was once again left out of coach Michael Maguire's Tigers squad for their upcoming match.

The Tigers will take on the Cowboys this Saturday night with Maguire opting to stick with Josh Reynolds at five-eighth.

Reynolds, who had previously struggled to make the side, had a welcome return to first-grade rugby league when he set up a try early in last weekend's clash with the Raiders.

Sterling said Reynolds was close to the Tigers' "best" in their loss to Canberra, declaring Maguire now faces an ongoing dilemma at the selection table with Reynolds firming as the coach's number one choice for the no.6 jersey.

"He (Reynolds) was great. He was close to their best," Sterling said on Wide World of Sports' Sterlo's Wrap.

"We know with Josh Reynolds what he brings to the team and that's plenty of enthusiasm, his kick-chase is fantastic. He's always around the ball and things tend to happen around him.

"It will be interesting to see in regard to the Benji Marshall situation.
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/peter-...reynolds/fd3a42e5-120d-4e2a-9d23-b46a42bf2521

So if Sterlo is correct, the Tigers get a pretty good backup 6/7. He comes back fresh and hopefully takes on more of a mentoring role for generation next.

f**king Jennings. That'll do me. The definition of madness is to repeat the same thing over and over and expect a different result. Jennings is shit. He will always be shit. I'd rather pluck some bloke out of obscurity a la Rocky Balboa in the original. With the relaxed COVID laws around selections we could make it a weekly competition.

This is a game we should win well, which means we'll turn up with no intensity and get beaten much like we did against the Gold Coast. I can see Marsters scoring a couple and potting goals from all over field. I can picture him slotting the game winner from the sideline after the siren.

I know Maguire has been severely hamstrung by the mess Cleary made but he brought Jennings in himself. If he hasn't evaluated Jennings' abilities to be less than first grade standard I fear for the foreseeable future.

THE MADNESS HAS TO STOP!!!!!!!!!

WA Tiger

Bench
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/peter-...reynolds/fd3a42e5-120d-4e2a-9d23-b46a42bf2521

So if Sterlo is correct, the Tigers get a pretty good backup 6/7. He comes back fresh and hopefully takes on more of a mentoring role for generation next.
Don’t worry about Benji, he’s come back from far worse than this to steal the show and he will again.

Half those commentators still think Benji has to bring back his running game..despite winning games for years without it...He knows what he has to do to get back on the field. ...

Maybe an idea to save the opinions until after the weekend anyway, Brookes and Jennings are still playing remember.

& Brookes is unmentorable

Last edited:

Fordy20

Juniors
I know Maguire has been severely hamstrung by the mess Cleary made but he brought Jennings in himself. If he hasn't evaluated Jennings' abilities to be less than first grade standard I fear for the foreseeable future.

Madge selecting Jennings is not an endorsement of his abilities, but rather that he sees Jennings as expendable. There is no way he is being re-signed, but churning through kids just to avoid playing Jennings would be doing those kids a massive disservice, especially considering that they would also be playing in a backline that contains Mbye.

I'm not giving up on Madge until he has assembled at least 2/3 the team that he wants and all the dead wood is gone.

I've said this for a while, the only way we are gonna build a decent roster is in steps:
1. Get rid of dead wood
2. Make the Top 8
3. Young players develop into solid first graders while not on huge contracts
3. Sign an marquee player we can build the team around that other players want to play for
4. Finish the squad with more players that want to play with the player from step 3

Until Madge gets to step 4 we have to back him 100%. I know it sounds crazy but he's the best coach we are going to get for a long time

I'm onboard as well and just to put it perspective, we have deadwood on our books until 2022, so we're not even past step 1 yet. It's no coincidence that Brooks and Doueihi are signed until the year after. That stabilises key spine positions with adequate players while Madge sorts out or backline. He's done a great job with the forwards, especially with Shawn Blore and Stefano Utoikamanu coming on board. He signed Simpkins and managed to snare Grant as well, so our hooking depth and succession plan in that position looks good.

I just hope the board aren't as stupid as the Knights board that offered Brian Smith a paultry one year extension after completely overhauling the Knights and making them competitive again after Andrew Johns retired. Madge will need another 3 years to even come close to fixing our clubs issues.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Madge selecting Jennings is not an endorsement of his abilities, but rather that he sees Jennings as expendable. There is no way he is being re-signed, but churning through kids just to avoid playing Jennings would be doing those kids a massive disservice, especially considering that they would also be playing in a backline that contains Mbye.

I'm onboard as well and just to put it perspective, we have deadwood on our books until 2022, so we're not even past step 1 yet. It's no coincidence that Brooks and Doueihi are signed until the year after. That stabilises key spine positions with adequate players while Madge sorts out or backline. He's done a great job with the forwards, especially with Shawn Blore and Stefano Utoikamanu coming on board. He signed Simpkins and managed to snare Grant as well, so our hooking depth and succession plan in that position looks good.

I just hope the board aren't as stupid as the Knights board that offered Brian Smith a paultry one year extension after completely overhauling the Knights and making them competitive again after Andrew Johns retired. Madge will need another 3 years to even come close to fixing our clubs issues.

I hear ya, but there is actually a lot of dead wood coming off contract this year. These are my random estimates of salary
Jennings - 250k
Eisenhuth - 200k
Lawrence - 250k
McQueen - 350k
Taylor - 500k
Benji (not dead wood but unlikely to play on) - 250k

I'm probably pretty off a bit but I think it's fair to say we will have freed up 2 million in salary cap + no more Farah penalty. Id obviously try and lock up Harry Grant, make a big play for James Tamou and Josh Addo Carr. If you then also include Stefano coming into the squad, and the possibility of Aiden Sezer we would have a really solid team.

The reason I'm saying James Tamou is because we need an experienced leader in the forwards, and his is the only name that stands out when I look through the list of fowards off-contract.

WA Tiger

Bench
Madge selecting Jennings is not an endorsement of his abilities, but rather that he sees Jennings as expendable. There is no way he is being re-signed, but churning through kids just to avoid playing Jennings would be doing those kids a massive disservice

It's no coincidence that Brooks and Doueihi are signed until the year after. That stabilises key spine positions with adequate players while Madge sorts out or backline. .

Mate u should run for President of the USA. Your spin is impressive

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Impressive spin, really really impressive spin. You should see the spin I can spin, really impressive
Yea yours is up there .Any defence of Jennings being picked has to be doesn’t it . At least u didn’t defend Brookes - I think?

Last edited: