What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Warabrook saint

Juniors
It starts at the top’: Dragons great lashes Red V executive and offers to help old club
DRAGONS

St George Illawarra legend Matt Cooper says he’s never been asked to help the Red V players, but he would do it in a heartbeat.

Cooper played 14 seasons for his beloved Red V and won the 2010 grand final with them, being a genuine fan favourite at the club over his career.

He’s now resigned to sitting back and watching the Dragons struggle to win games, having played only three finals games since Paul McGregor took over as coach six years ago.

Cooper - a star Origin quality centre - says he would jump at the chance to work with the playing group if asked

“As a former player, as an outside back, I could see so many errors defensively that the outside backs were doing,” he told NRL Tonight.

“I would have loved to be able to help these young players because that was one of my strong suits as a player, my defence. I would have loved to have been there for these young boys and taught them how to do it right.

“I was working for the club in the community side of things, and it would have been nice to get a tap on the shoulder and say ‘Matt can you help out?’ because I would have done it in a heartbeat.

“I feel for the players, the players are always doing their job and it’s a hard job. I did it for 14 years.”

Cooper is about to embark on a holiday around Australia and so isn’t available this year, but says his phone will be on if the Dragons want to contact him at any stage in the future.

St George Illawarra scored its first win of the season on Sunday against Cronulla, which has helped alleviate some pressure on McGregor and the players.

Cooper says the result will only help to brush over serious issues at the club, but says it’s not the players that need to change.

“It definitely puts wallpaper over some deep cracks. It was good to see the Dragons win for the players, because the players have been putting in every week,” Cooper said.

“But there’s deep issues at the club, and I think it starts at the top.

“You see Brian Johnston take the (CEO) job up for, what was it, six months and then he’s gone. That for me seems to be a problem at the club.

“That’s something that players, coaches, and everyone around the club, they feel that pressure, they feel what’s going on. It effects players and obviously it effects coaches.

“The leadership in the board, we’ve had Peter Doust has left, Brian Johnston has come in and left. I think in between the board there must be a rift, or there’s something happening there.

“When it comes to the coach, what do you do with Mary? He’s been coaching for, what, eight years now? You’re going to have to sack him, pay for a new coach to come in, or do you ride out the season?”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...b/news-story/cb52efc1eaed5143aec9d434533b965f
Music to the ears

BLM01

First Grade
It would be most pleasing to know if Flanagan has been given the role of having a chin-wag to the boys at the half-time break .

At least the players would have more confidence in what was coming from his mouth then the maestros .

And the supporters themselves would know that the team would be putting in a wholehearted effort , week in , week out . That alone is a step in the right direction .
Whats funny how buoyant the players were on field...have not seen ot for a while
Might of enjoyed the change or surrender of some leadership mid week

BLM01

First Grade
I wonder if that article is preparing the fans for a surprise replacement for Mary ?
Yes indeed..obviously Matt is now unavaialble whilst Mary is around..but for the next coach?
Someone telling it like it is..as most of the media after one win are backing what the club and patting Mary on the back for making change trying to come out and convince us sacking Mary is the wrong thing to do right now....In Mary we Trust...mate

BLM01

First Grade
From what i saw it was Flanno who spoke to the boys.at half time on Sunday. McGregor was nowhere to he seen.

It it just me, or does it seem a deliberate attempt by the club to undermine McGregor to get him to resign?
I thought it was Shepherd doing some talking

ChocOConnor

Juniors
Did anyone think that Lomax opened up a bit. Whilst watching the game I thought he looks different today. Did nothing spectacular but was jumping for high balls tried a few things good or bad but wasn’t just being a one out merchant

redVinme

Juniors
Did anyone think that Lomax opened up a bit. Whilst watching the game I thought he looks different today. Did nothing spectacular but was jumping for high balls tried a few things good or bad but wasn’t just being a one out merchant

Absolutely. Me thinks the "selection committee" may have told him his spot is secure moving forward and has the freedom to actually be a footy player.

BLM01

First Grade
Absolutely. Me thinks the "selection committee" may have told him his spot is secure moving forward and has the freedom to actually be a footy player.
Yes but they could got the ball to him in some backline attacks and earlier a lot more than they did.in lieu of just kicking to him....but I am happy he is where he should be.
His days at fullback should of never started at NRL level.

getsmarty

Immortal
Billy Slater ‘disappointed’ by Dragons star Ben Hunt’s underdevelopment as halfback
15/06/2020
Mark Levy
BEN HUNTBilly SlaterLatrell Mitchellrugby league featuredSouth Sydney RabbitohsSt George-Illawarra Dragons
Ben-Hunt-Dragons.png

NRL legend Billy Slater has weighed in on St. George-Illawarra Dragons’ star Ben Hunt’s performance as his move to dummy half looks to be cemented.

Dragons former halfback Ben Hunt was moved to hooker in the team’s first win of the season, but Billy Slater believes it’s a missed opportunity.

“I’m a little bit disappointed,” he told Mark Levy.

“I don’t know what sort of development he’s had, and what sort of mentors he’s had in that position.

“I know he was on big money to go to the Dragons but if I were the Dragons, I would’ve said ‘I’ll give you 900, and we’ll give Cooper Cronk 300 to come and spend the summer with you’.”

https://www.2gb.com/billy-slater-di...-star-ben-hunts-underdevelopment-as-halfback/

redVinme

Juniors
Yes but they could got the ball to him in some backline attacks and earlier a lot more than they did.in lieu of just kicking to him....but I am happy he is where he should be.
His days at fullback should of never started at NRL level.

Seems like hunt pokes his nose out and gets a little more on the front foot than cam. Hopefully this will lead to a lot more width actually bringing our centres into the game with early ball.

BLM01

First Grade
Billy Slater ‘disappointed’ by Dragons star Ben Hunt’s underdevelopment as halfback
15/06/2020
Mark Levy
BEN HUNTBilly SlaterLatrell Mitchellrugby league featuredSouth Sydney RabbitohsSt George-Illawarra Dragons
Ben-Hunt-Dragons.png

NRL legend Billy Slater has weighed in on St. George-Illawarra Dragons’ star Ben Hunt’s performance as his move to dummy half looks to be cemented.

Dragons former halfback Ben Hunt was moved to hooker in the team’s first win of the season, but Billy Slater believes it’s a missed opportunity.

“I’m a little bit disappointed,” he told Mark Levy.

“I don’t know what sort of development he’s had, and what sort of mentors he’s had in that position.

“I know he was on big money to go to the Dragons but if I were the Dragons, I would’ve said ‘I’ll give you 900, and we’ll give Cooper Cronk 300 to come and spend the summer with you’.”

https://www.2gb.com/billy-slater-di...-star-ben-hunts-underdevelopment-as-halfback/
Another gold star awarded to our McWinLittle coach
Or is that Millwards fault I forgot
Then again Poor Widdop had to deal with crap halfbacks from as far back as 2013 until Millward got the best of a bad bunch to us in Hunt and yes that includes Benji Marshall who was also always a 5/8th as well
what took Billy so long to come to his defence?

Coffs dragon

Bench
Everyone except McGregor & Millward can see the underlying problems in player development that Mary simply unskills them.
Dragons should target the Roosters duo of Craig Fitzgibbon as head coach with Cooper Cronk as an assistant role working with our halves & spine players.
Fitzy can concentrate on the defence similar to the wall he’s developed & coached with the Chooks.

denis preston

First Grade
If Coops was at any other club the coaching staff would have hauled him in and asked to show the present team how to defend.
He was one hell of a player. People think he didn’t have an attack but he could attack.
What I would do for him to be part of the set up now.

But I guess he would show up the current coaching staff or clowns to be real up

So why is it assumed that Young will walk in as interim coach when Mary's sacked ? Clearly if he and Hornby had any good ideas they were not taken on by the coach so they should have resigned in protest.Obviously not ! The whole coaching staff ( except Flanno & Sheppard) needs to be under review.
Would love to know what Agar,Hornby & the journos brother would say now after being under McWrecker.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Seems like hunt pokes his nose out and gets a little more on the front foot than cam. Hopefully this will lead to a lot more width actually bringing our centres into the game with early ball.

Well we have one genuine centre in Lomax for Rd 6

and another ‘player’ & failed 6 year ‘coach’ favourite

.... well identified by Cooper as a defensive disaster
(and commonly known as Turnstile or the Turd that Will Not Sink)

The symbol of The Waterboy’s failures

....and to whom the Media affectionately attribute our right side freeway

.... whose sole forte is skipping sideways with a palm or head down arse-up forward leg pump (blindly) into the defender in front of him.

Indeed a non-centre, non-anything really, who bobs up relentlessly without form in Tuesday Teamsheets

ad fuc/king nauseum

...The ‘coach’s’ Lovechild ‘centre’ who cannot:

• pass (by any known definition)
• set up a winger
• try assist
• defend laterally
• read backline play
• support a break
• offload
• position to help take a bomb
• infuse confidence in his winger
• grubber
• kick & chase
• create his own holes
• be creative in any way
• redress a failed tackle
• look for support
• cover defend
• etc eh Coops

A player whose relentless selection
without justifiable form
has singlehandedly stifled:

• the potential development of several juniors (ongoing atm)
• the retention of promising juniors
• creativity in backline attack
• renewal & change
• fluid movement of backline
• variety in wingplay options
(cutout passes invariably have to bypass him)
• bench options when rarely benched
• the incorporation of fullback into backline moves

So Coops, you’re dead right mate,

.....but your intervention would’ve been fruitless
because apparently, like McFail, he’s just plain dumb
- with no footy smarts at all.

Like begets like in the low IQ stakes

(Cam & Adam must have to communicate in monosyllables to him
- or with semaphore, paddles & single letters like ‘W’ or ‘D’ as per McFuc/kwit himself)

& it rankles me no end
that the imposter has Gasnier’s No 3

...& if kept,
will cost us probably one or more of the Feagais, Schiller or Esau
- even Ramsay
as Mc Fail does the usual shuffling to keep the Turd

He just falls into your beloved ‘loyalty’ syndrome cum category eh

Webby
On your
DAY 72

.... Sorry, but I got a bit sidetracked by another legend’s critique.

Coming thick & fast ATM aren’t they?

Despite your daily blurbs to right the good ship Gordon Enterprise
( Where’s Andrew BTW?)

Geez these Titans must be a worry
- and due I’d reckon

... and Macca has that knack of playing teams into form eh?

Still no truths on Waterboy’s status?
Best kept in-house if he’s in the out-house I s’pose.

Yeah stick to the merchandising & membership delusion
while the 30,000 wait for Hoops’ next leak

Any postcards from Bruce on his Wreck Island Estate, Bermuda?

Keeping his head down & fingers crossed,

.... & lots of Hail Marys I guess

Last edited:

hazzbeen

Bench
So why is it assumed that Young will walk in as interim coach when Mary's sacked ? Clearly if he and Hornby had any good ideas they were not taken on by the coach so they should have resigned in protest.Obviously not ! The whole coaching staff ( except Flanno & Sheppard) needs to be under review.
Would love to know what Agar,Hornby & the journos brother would say now after being under McWrecker.
Young Jr is a chance mate as long as his old man is there anything can happen , they club is good at weaseling things to help each other .... .

Latest posts