What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dufty to Titans

The Friz

Juniors
Not convinced, by a long shot. He’s had these flash in a pan games before and then gone completely to shit soon after. Some big examinations coming up after next weekZ

epDragon62

First Grade
Mate I don't know who the best centre at the club is but I know Lomax isn't "by far and away"
the best.
He may well turn out to be in the future and I hope he does but I am just saying for me I haven't seen anything to suggest that he is a star.
I have to agree.

Dragons 09

Juniors
He's a Papenhuyzen in attack but a pop tart in defence and hard yards. I gave him points in the 3. 2. 1. today because his attack went a long way towards us winning the game, but to be honest, the guppies threw very little at him.

Even though he played well, his lack of positional awareness with goal line defence still worries me, he was nowhere near the ball when the guppies scored their tries and he has a history of this. I hope it's just a lack of positional awareness as that can be coached into him, my concern though is it might be laziness or not prepared to put his body on the line. We have Roosters, Manly and Raiders coming up over the next month and they will throw plenty at him and if he passes that test then perhaps he's learning, until then, he's just a caretaker custodian.

slippery5

Juniors
He's a Papenhuyzen in attack but a pop tart in defence and hard yards. I gave him points in the 3. 2. 1. today because his attack went a long way towards us winning the game, but to be honest, the guppies threw very little at him.

Even though he played well, his lack of positional awareness with goal line defence still worries me, he was nowhere near the ball when the guppies scored their tries and he has a history of this. I hope it's just a lack of positional awareness as that can be coached into him, my concern though is it might be laziness or not prepared to put his body on the line. We have Roosters, Manly and Raiders coming up over the next month and they will throw plenty at him and if he passes that test then perhaps he's learning, until then, he's just a caretaker custodian.
Wait until he hears the footsteps of Tedesco steaming down on him from a Keary high ball !!!!!

rasaint

Juniors
I have posted in the game thread that Matt Dufty is not a ‘super star’.

When the team is going forward and defending purposely he comes into his own. He catches the high balls pretty well and defends OK but not great. Even the elite fullbacks drop bombs and miss tackles on occasion.

Yesterday, Duges ( who had a good game for the sharks) was simply stood up by Dufty in the no try. In Dufty’s awarded try he hit the gap and charged carrying Duges with him over the line. Yet Duges was often held up as a great on line defender. It’s all perspective.

I believe that young Ramsey will emerge as our top line fullback.

However, for the time being please let us have Duff at fullback.He worries the opposition and distracts them. Even yesterday the two beautiful long passes for Rava were assisted by the Cronulla outside line defence jamming in a bit because Dufty joined the backline and they were trying to close the any gap he could blast through.

Finally, yes Tedesco ( is the games best fullback) streaming down on Dufty is a worry but Teddy will also worry if Dufty is streaming streaming down on him with ball in hand and stepping passed him like he was nailed to the ground, like last years try of the season.

BLM01

First Grade
I have posted in the game thread that Matt Dufty is not a ‘super star’.

When the team is going forward and defending purposely he comes into his own. He catches the high balls pretty well and defends OK but not great. Even the elite fullbacks drop bombs and miss tackles on occasion.

Yesterday, Duges ( who had a good game for the sharks) was simply stood up by Dufty in the no try. In Dufty’s awarded try he hit the gap and charged carrying Duges with him over the line. Yet Duges was often held up as a great on line defender. It’s all perspective.

I believe that young Ramsey will emerge as our top line fullback.

However, for the time being please let us have Duff at fullback.He worries the opposition and distracts them. Even yesterday the two beautiful long passes for Rava were assisted by the Cronulla outside line defence jamming in a bit because Dufty joined the backline and they were trying to close the any gap he could blast through.

Finally, yes Tedesco ( is the games best fullback) streaming down on Dufty is a worry but Teddy will also worry if Dufty is streaming streaming down on him with ball in hand and stepping passed him like he was nailed to the ground, like last years try of the season.
Yes and Dugan is reportedly on 900K this year...3 x Dufty's reported salary
And Dugan in the 2nd half had his typical slow play the balls cause i am injured...it may be chronic, factual and ongoing..but
It does not do the team any favours
Apart from set up their 1st try with a good round the corner pass...remind me what Dugan did again?

Dragon David

First Grade
But he is the best we got...Sailor is the next in lime till Ramsay is ready
Right on BLM01. Dufty needs to play fullback in as many games as possible this year as it will define his character as a fullback moreso. If he can keep fit and play with the same attitude and methods (with improvement in his defence) like he did against the Sharks, then hopefully we will see great tries being scored.

st.phil

Bench
dufty just needs some belief and confidence - he gets rag dolled when we are on the backfoot but the whole team looks rubbish when we are being smashed so bit tough on him. He seems mentally fragile (insert good coach to transform)

hazzbeen

Bench
Right on BLM01. Dufty needs to play fullback in as many games as possible this year as it will define his character as a fullback moreso. If he can keep fit and play with the same attitude and methods (with improvement in his defence) like he did against the Sharks, then hopefully we will see great tries being scored.
If he doesn't play yesterday we don't win .... it's the first time for months that the forwards were getting over the advantage line .... Dufty can do things that a lot of players can't , a good coach would known how to use him and help him in defence .... If he is left to do a one on one tackles that means everyone in front of him have not aimed up .....

denis preston

First Grade
Yes and Dugan is reportedly on 900K this year...3 x Dufty's reported salary
And Dugan in the 2nd half had his typical slow play the balls cause i am injured...it may be chronic, factual and ongoing..but
It does not do the team any favours
Apart from set up their 1st try with a good round the corner pass...remind me what Dugan did again?
We may have our Norman & Hunt ( who i think earns some of his pay packet ) but imagine having Dugan & Johnstone taking up at least the same dint in the salary cap. Call it a draw ?

Bench
Dufty is a confidence player, against the sharks he looked good, a few more repeat performances like that will secure the FB role.
Is he going to ordinary games in the future, yes he will
One thing with Dufty is his speed without that we don’t offer much, his passing game has always been good.
Maybe Flanno is involved with his training now, which is a bonus

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Those two passes for Rav were beautiful.
It’s funny because everyone on here seems to think he can’t pass but in reserves I’ve seen him pass plenty of times quite successfully. He just needs to pass to Rava and JP more often coming out of trouble to negate his weakness there and he should be fine. He’s not Tedesco but he’s the best we have fit.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think the rule changes have been a blessing to Dufty with the game now suiting his style of play ie nippy player against tired forwards, however, as it was and yet to he determined if it remains, is his defense. Time will tell especially against the likes of the Roosters etc.

This all begs the question though of where Dufty fits into the team moving forward?
We have the likes of Ramsey and Schiller coming through, throw in Saab, the Feagai twins, SSE and maybe Sailor. There are also some real good youngsters, who unfortunately, we cant get to see this year, who are playing JF or even SG Ball and HM.

Is Ramsey going to be a fullback or winger?

Dragonsamy

Bench
If he doesn't play yesterday we don't win .... it's the first time for months that the forwards were getting over the advantage line .... Dufty can do things that a lot of players can't , a good coach would known how to use him and help him in defence .... If he is left to do a one on one tackles that means everyone in front of him have not aimed up .....

Well said Hazz.
Agree if he was in the Storm system he would as good as papenhouzen (spelling my be incorrect)

Dragonsamy

Bench
I think the rule changes have been a blessing to Dufty with the game now suiting his style of play ie nippy player against tired forwards, however, as it was and yet to he determined if it remains, is his defense. Time will tell especially against the likes of the Roosters etc.

This all begs the question though of where Dufty fits into the team moving forward?
We have the likes of Ramsey and Schiller coming through, throw in Saab, the Feagai twins, SSE and maybe Sailor. There are also some real good youngsters, who unfortunately, we cant get to see this year, who are playing JF or even SG Ball and HM.

Dragonslayer
I think that Ramsey may start on the wing but once he has had time to develop and his defences improved his destined to be a long-term fullback.

SBD82

Coach
Dragonslayer
I think that Ramsey may start on the wing but once he has had time to develop and his defences improved his destined to be a long-term fullback.
I think the kid will be a superstar at fullback.

Can’t wait to see what colours he does it in.

blacksafake

First Grade

With his speed he needs to be used like Turbo, Tedesco, Papenhuyzen? etc. Hanging around the ruck & not out as sweep play. I'd also like to see him run from dummy half more often.