What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons To Break Away From Illawarra.

J.moz

Juniors
St.george will receive the license stand alone in 2 years. Illawarra no longer part of the merger will play in nsw cup .
Brian Johnston had plans for the club to take over the sharks as we did with Illawarra. With a strong leagues club that Illawarra dont have its all in the making.

SBD82

Coach
St.george will receive the license stand alone in 2 years. Illawarra no longer part of the merger will play in nsw cup .
Brian Johnston had plans for the club to take over the sharks as we did with Illawarra. With a strong leagues club that Illawarra dont have its all in the making.
I like this @J.moz fella.

He’s just the sort of dumbmerkin that makes me chuckle.

Walpole

Juniors
This thread has the potential to go down in history.

You've got possm with teams in Indonesia, the Solomon Islands (have you been there? they'll need to build a road or two prior to the NRL team kicking off...) and Geelong of all places. The "Sydney City" team has taken over that great 1908 powerhouse of Glebe and I can't believe the Bangkok Sex Tourists can't get a run in Conference 2.

And the great JMoz has St George not only splitting from Illawarra but also taking over Cronulla on the back of their "strong leagues club". I can't tell if it's 1910, 1960 or 2060.

Keep it up fellas, this is gold.

SaintElroy

Juniors
This thread has the potential to go down in history.

You've got possm with teams in Indonesia, the Solomon Islands (have you been there? they'll need to build a road or two prior to the NRL team kicking off...) and Geelong of all places. The "Sydney City" team has taken over that great 1908 powerhouse of Glebe and I can't believe the Bangkok Sex Tourists can't get a run in Conference 2.

And the great JMoz has St George not only splitting from Illawarra but also taking over Cronulla on the back of their "strong leagues club". I can't tell if it's 1910, 1960 or 2060.

Keep it up fellas, this is gold.
Did you ever see the “November 1 deadline “ thread from jmoz a year or two back? It was a cracker too

Banjo2014

Juniors
Wow- you're certainly an ideas man Possm- could we find a spot for the Philippines and the Manila Folders!!
In the Philippines at Clark I reckon we have 25 - 30 supporters die hards who wear the jersey every week so there must be some undercover supporters

Google fatboys rugby philippines

Last edited:

smi962

First Grade
I don't think it will turn out the way you are suggesting.
St.George would be playing NRL and Illawarra 2nd division.
Any way you want to twist that scenario, that would be the likely outcome.
Fixing the issues?
What has the management of the JV been doing for the last 20 years?
Obviously not very successful in "fixing the issues".
More to the point is where is our "Super Club".?
That was the solemn promise of the NRL and the geniuses that perpetrated this JV train wreck.
Still waiting...
If I was accepting mediocrity, why would I want to stand alone?
Stand alone? What do we have apart from our tradition and history currently?

We would have a board of unmovable, unmotivated and unqualified dinosaurs, a run down leagues club that doesn’t contribute to the team, a small Sydney catchment area with a demographics of non-league fans, a brand that is becoming less and less valuable. How many young kids are choosing to support the Dragons (apart from our own).

Remember Souths, the NRL were happy enough to remove a team with such history if they believed they didn’t have strategic or economic value

Last edited:
Stand alone? What do we have apart from our tradition and history currently?

We would have a board of unmovable, unmotivated and unqualified dinosaurs, a run down leagues club that doesn’t contribute to the team, a small Sydney catchment area with a demographics of non-league fans, a brand that is becoming less and less valuable. How many young kids are choosing to support the Dragons (apart from our own).

Remember Souths, the NRL were happy enough to remove a team with such history if they believed they didn’t have strategic or economic value
I respect your views but I think you are underestimating the value of the "brand" - even today.
I think the catchment area is not as you describe and under the right structure and management, St. George could be a phoenix rising.
However, there are some prerequisites:
1. No way it would work with the current Board and management philosophy.
Private ownership would be the way to go with the new owners not being hamstrung by back room deals like the WIN buy in and the current coaching appointment that has turned into a fiasco.
2. Easts are a great example of a Sydney club that is a huge success with a limited junior nursery.
The secret seems to be excellent management and a premiership winning mentality. Something that we have not had since the JV started.
Knock uncle Nick all you like but he has carved out a long term success story in the geographic centre of Sydney.
3. You only have to look at the years when St. George were winning games and making the finals on a regular basis - crowd numbers and merchandise sales - one of the best of all the clubs in the NRL.
Why would that dynamic suddenly be lost if the team was well run and successful?
4. Coach - Robinson has proven himself to be one of the best coaches in the NRL.
Bellamy and even old man Bennett have sparkling records (+60% win ratios) because they know what they are doing.
They also attract the best players like a magnet.
The JV have just wasted 7 years pushing McGregor's barrow to the club's great detriment.
Bottom line - the stats don't lie and we will never change our fortunes waiting for McGregor to magically become a premiership winning coach.

Stand alone with the right ownership and management and there is absolutely no reason why St. George cannot become one of the best clubs in the NRL again.
We have to stop kidding ourselves regarding the JV and the contribution of the Illawarra bolt on.
By any measure it hasn't worked and if the St. George "brand" is a little tarnished right now, it's because of this flawed pathway.
Tradition seems to be an anathema to some people but to me it one of the main reasons I support the club.
You can't discount or ignore our history.

What I think doesn't really mean a lot because what we are talking about will probably never happen but if the question is can St. George go it alone and succeed? My answer is absolutely.YES.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Not really relevant to the discussion.
Extremely relevant to the discussion.

You talk about the value of the brand, I’m calling & asking what it’s worth.

A brand is an intangible asset. Because it doesn’t technically exist, the value of goodwill is determined by how much someone would pay for it, less any assets.

So if you took away the leagues club & the football team, what customer value does the st George brand hold - particularly when more than half of the country doesn’t associate the brand with “success”?

I’m happy to hear dollar figures any time soon..

Extremely relevant to the discussion.

You talk about the value of the brand, I’m calling & asking what it’s worth.

A brand is an intangible asset. Because it doesn’t technically exist, the value of goodwill is determined by how much someone would pay for it, less any assets.

So if you took away the leagues club & the football team, what customer value does the st George brand hold - particularly when more than half of the country doesn’t associate the brand with “success”?

I’m happy to hear dollar figures any time soon..
I could competently give you a value if I had access to all the relevant information.
Brand is an intangible asset on a balance sheet but a brand can also be a trademark and with that trademark comes a lot of other intellectual property that needs to be taken into consideration.
Judging by your comments, you are punching above your weight division on this topic champ.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I could competently give you a value if I had access to all the relevant information.
Brand is an intangible asset on a balance sheet but a brand can also be a trademark and with that trademark comes a lot of other intellectual property that needs to be taken into consideration.
Judging by your comments, you are punching above your weight division on this topic champ.
What intellectual property does St George have?

What have they “trademarked”? The NRL own the logo.

What’s the St George brand worth?

Come on, third time I’ve asked. I don’t need an exact dollar figure.

And have you signed the petition? I have.

What intellectual property does St George have?

What have they “trademarked”? The NRL own the logo.

What’s the St George brand worth?

Come on, third time I’ve asked. I don’t need an exact dollar figure.

And have you signed the petition? I have.
The simple answer is - you are out of your depth beating this drum.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The simple answer is - you are out of your depth beating this drum.
Rather skilled in P&L management actually. But if you’re convinced that I’m out of my depth you should probably show me up by answering the question..

So, 4th time asking.. What is the value of the St George brand?

hazzbeen

Bench
Rather skilled in P&L management actually. But if you’re convinced that I’m out of my depth you should probably show me up by answering the question..

Its not worth much at the moment the way the club is going ..... It will be worth nothing whether its St George or St George Illawarra if they don't get back to being a force .....

So am I - MD of a number of businesses over the years.
P+L Management is a minimum requirement for middle management so nothing to crow about.
I have also worked in the IP field for many years.
Like I said - you are out of your depth on this topic but your spell check and punctuation is outstanding.

Latest posts