What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 v Titans

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I’m afraid you’re right. The titans have been improving gradually. In my opinion they have a lot more character than last year’s incarnation.
I reckon..

We’ll take it easy after the win - I can’t even recall the last time we had back to back wins.

We’ll revert from last weeks play to the rigid one out stuff we do.

Meanwhile the titans will be fired up after getting the monkey off their back.

It smells like an ambush.

Belta

Juniors
I’m hoping the buzz from last weeks win will carry over and be enough to out enthuse the Titans. But I’m very aware that the buzz will quickly die out if we are on the wrong side of the 6 again calls, if we don’t post the first points, if we can’t rectify our basic errors and If our playmakers cant muster an adequate kicking game. In summary I have absolutely no idea what sort of performance these guys will dish out. To repeat what some one said recently it’s truly the dance of the desperate.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I’m hoping the buzz from last weeks win will carry over and be enough to out enthuse the Titans. But I’m very aware that the buzz will quickly die out if we are on the wrong side of the 6 again calls, if we don’t post the first points, if we can’t rectify our basic errors and If our playmakers cant muster an adequate kicking game. In summary I have absolutely no idea what sort of performance these guys will dish out. To repeat what some one said recently it’s truly the dance of the desperate.
So to sum it up in just one word...

Mary.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Well for the record f**khead I am recovering from surgery today and trying to take my mind of it by doing some posting with a few decent people in this place so as to take my mind of it so I don't need cockbreath wankers like you trying to give me a lecture.

Like so many others on here, OT, I wish you a speedy and successful recovery. All of us who can recall a little of the Glory Years have the occasional issue to face at our age. Thankfully we have a top health system to hep us through.
Try not to waste time responding to Muzby. Those who love to needle others are desperate for any reaction. Most of us can see what he is up to and it is certainly not what we come on here for. Please concentrate on analysis of performances and on what our club needs to do to recover from the spell of doom Mary has cast over the place. It is longing for that turnaround and return to the good times that keeps up our passion.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors

Belta, I can understand your lack of conviction over what sort of performance the boys will produce. It's a bit hard trying to analyse the season to this point. But for me they did enough in the first two games to win both except for the constant handling errors. I suspect that sitting on those poor results for a couple of months affected confidence and put pressure on them when the comp restarted. Hopefully some confidence has been restored and some pressure eased. In addition with Clune at least sharing in the kicking duties and Hunt appearing to kick better from dummy half at least our kicking should not be as shambolic as it's been over several seasons. But then if Rava drops bombs when not under pressure points can be quickly scored against the run of play. I love his strong running and big hits but I am surprised that his dropsy was not terminal for his place in the side.

BLM01

First Grade
I reckon..

We’ll take it easy after the win - I can’t even recall the last time we had back to back wins.

We’ll revert from last weeks play to the rigid one out stuff we do.

Meanwhile the titans will be fired up after getting the monkey off their back.

It smells like an ambush.
Back to back wins Round 5 & 6 of 2019

Slippery Morris

First Grade
All the best OT and hope you get better soon.

Scary how Saints play Titans and some posters are not confident Saints will win (including me).
If Saints win it will be 4 wins in the last 18 rounds or so, 3 of those against the Titans. If Saints lose, that will surely be the last nail in the coffin for the dud coach.

It will come down to the wire imo and depending who gets slammed with 6 again calls and sin bins will lose out.

getsmarty

Immortal
mcgregorp_2nh_1767.jpg

DRAGONS

Mary 'sacrifices ego' in Red V team selections overhaul
Author
Dan Walsh NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 19 Jun 2020, 03:05 PM
walshdan-head.png

Share on social media
Paul McGregor says he is happy to "sacrifice a bit of ego" and full control over his Dragons team selections despite another mountain of consternation over his coaching career looming each week.

McGregor was given the "continued support" of St George Illawarra's board 10 days ago when an emergency meeting was scheduled after a demoralising four-game losing streak.

The Dragons responded with a much-needed victory over Cronulla, with assistant coaches Shane Flanagan and Dean Young elevated alongside McGregor to a formal three-man selection committee leading into the critical local derby.

It is a rare scenario in the cut-throat world of NRL coaching where selections are decided on a voting process given McGregor as head coach will wear the brunt of criticism around a losing side.

The team-wide shake-ups that led to Ben Hunt being shuffled to the bench against Cronulla, Cameron McInnes to lock, Corey Norman to five-eighth and Matt Dufty returning to fullback are set to be retained for Saturday's clash with the Gold Coast.

While the prospect of potentially being out-voted on his own team list looms, McGregor has no qualms with the move to "share accountability" in regards to the 21-man squads each week.

"I think it's fine. I'm here to serve my players and staff," McGregor said on Friday.

"The club, if they think it's an innovative way that can help, I've got no problem with that. I'm fine with sacrificing a little bit of ego in the real world to make things better within.

Hunt says hooker isn't permanent

"We've always had a selection committee meet, and it's just an extension where there's a vote system in place to share accountability around the selection of the football team.

"There's three people involved, it's three coaches. And then from that the decision goes out to the players and that's how the team is named."

Selections have been a particularly thorny issue with rookie winger Jason Saab requesting multiple release requests in his bid to play regular first grade.

Off-contract utility back Tristan Sailor is another considering his future having been unable to crack an NRL start this year, while Hunt's move to the bench was this week formalised when he was named in the No.14 jersey.

Hunt was diplomatic during the week about his benching, but stressed he still sees himself as a marquee half, with McGregor hinting his new dummy-half role will not be a permanent one.

"Benny's been brought here as a seven, Cam's been brought here as a nine, and they're both very good players in their positions," McGregor said.

"But what the team needs now is Cam to move to 13 and Ben to nine, because he changed the game last week when he came onto the field and we expect that impact this week as well.

"What fits now may not fit in a month's time or a year's time."

McGregor confirmed veteran forward James Graham would tackle the Titans after he "surprised" the coach with his release request this week to finish his career in the UK.

Graham is expected to be allowed to join his former club St Helens, possibly as early as next week, pending St George Illawarra's search for a replacement.

"I was surprised when we first had the conversation," McGregor said.

"But after listening to James really get to the bottom of the decision and how quickly it became something serious, I can understand his circumstances.

"He's at the back end of his career and he's looking to finish with the club he started with.

"We've just got to make sure that the replacement we get is the right one.

"We definitely need a middle type of player. We'll be certainly looking for a like-for-like replacement."

With Graham's exit looming and Tyson Frizell off to Newcastle in 2021, the Dragons will have the best part of $1 million in free cap space up front.

The club is also in the market for strike power out wide with Melbourne's Josh Addo-Carr understood to have been discussed as a recruitment target.

Given the upheaval in his pack, McGregor said the club would fight to retain off-contract former NSW forward Jack de Belin if he is able to resume his NRL career.

De Belin's court case is due for a motion hearing in Wollongong Local Court on Monday, when a hearing date for the matter could be set.

debelin615.jpg

Dragons forward Jack de Belin. :copyright:NRL Photos
The 29-year-old remains contracted to the Dragons but unavailable under the NRL's no-fault stand down rule.

"He's certainly in the club's plans for 2021," McGregor said.

"He's an elite player and when he was playing he was one of the best three middles in the game at [number] 13."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/19/mary-sacrifices-ego-in-red-v-team-selections-shake-up/

getsmarty

Immortal
LIVE: ‘It’s up to Mary to motivate his own players’ — Holbrook hits back at McGregor’s Titans sledge
NRL Premiership
  • June 19, 2020 1:44pm
  • by Staff writers with AAP
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
5fbde32548d1d57ef16b84dc4e25d668

Justin Holbrook didn’t take too well to Paul McGregor’s hit at the Titans. (Photo by Chris Hyde/Getty Images).Source: Getty Images

HOLBROOK HITS BACK AT MCGREGOR’S TITANS SLEDGE

Gold Coast coach Justin Holbrook has responded to St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor’s dig at the Titans after it was revealed he used the under-performing club as motivation to get the best out of Matt Dufty.

Recently, Dufty put his newfound form down to McGregor telling him he can “play 20 games a year for the Titans if you want or you can play 20 games here by forcing yourself to get picked every week.”

The Courier Mail is reporting Dufty’s comments got back to Holbrook who didn’t take to them well, suggesting the club never had any interest in the nifty fullback to start with and McGregor shouldn’t be using another club to motivate his players.

“I did see that, it was interesting because I’m not sure he (Dufty) had the opportunity to make that decision,” Holbrook said.

“We had been hoping to get Corey Thompson for a while. It’s up to Mary (McGregor) to motivate his own players.

“When Matt Dufty got asked that, his only answer could have been to stay here and fight for his spot because we were going to sign Corey Thompson. That made his answer easy.”

DRAGONS OPEN TO LOAN MOVE TO PLUG GRAHAM GAP

The Dragons are open to loaning a player for the remainder of the season as a short-term replacement for James Graham, who is seeking a return to England with former club St Helens.

The club’s statement on Thursday morning said the wantaway player would be allowed to leave ‘with immediate effect’ – but only if a replacement was signed first.

“St George Illawarra have been involved in discussions with Dragons forward James Graham and his management regarding an opportunity for him to return to the English Super League with immediate effect.

“The Dragons will consider this option for Graham on the merit a replacement player is secured by the club prior to his release.”

While the joint-venture club was already looking to bolster its forward stocks for next season, the club is reportedly willing to fill Graham’s spot with a short-term loan for the remainder of the season.

The Daily Telegraph names Billy Magoulias, Daniel Alvaro and Herman Ese’ese as potential loan targets.

But the future of Graham could hinge on teammate Jack de Belin who returns to court next week. De Belin is facing five sexual assault charges relating to a 2018 incident, and has pleaded not guilty on all counts.

If his case is thrown out, the Dragons are expected to allow Graham to depart immediately.

“The issue is filling a hole right now if James Graham goes and there’s an obvious guy right, Jack de Belin has his court case on Monday,” News Corp journalist Brent Read told Triple M radio.

“We don’t know how long his case will take but if it takes two or three days and it gets thrown out, and I’m being told there’s a chance that might happen, and if it happens after Tuesday don’t be surprised if the Dragons immediately ask for dispensation to pick Jack de Belin to play next week.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/54aee44dfe740d286d71ea5069561aed

TruSaint

Referee
LIVE: ‘It’s up to Mary to motivate his own players’ — Holbrook hits back at McGregor’s Titans sledge
NRL Premiership

Justin Holbrook didn’t take too well to Paul McGregor’s hit at the Titans. (Photo by Chris Hyde/Getty Images).Source: Getty Images

Gold Coast coach Justin Holbrook has responded to St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor’s dig at the Titans after it was revealed he used the under-performing club as motivation to get the best out of Matt Dufty.

Recently, Dufty put his newfound form down to McGregor telling him he can “play 20 games a year for the Titans if you want or you can play 20 games here by forcing yourself to get picked every week.”

The Courier Mail is reporting Dufty’s comments got back to Holbrook who didn’t take to them well, suggesting the club never had any interest in the nifty fullback to start with and McGregor shouldn’t be using another club to motivate his players.

“I did see that, it was interesting because I’m not sure he (Dufty) had the opportunity to make that decision,” Holbrook said.

“We had been hoping to get Corey Thompson for a while. It’s up to Mary (McGregor) to motivate his own players.

“When Matt Dufty got asked that, his only answer could have been to stay here and fight for his spot because we were going to sign Corey Thompson. That made his answer easy.”

The Dragons are open to loaning a player for the remainder of the season as a short-term replacement for James Graham, who is seeking a return to England with former club St Helens.

The club’s statement on Thursday morning said the wantaway player would be allowed to leave ‘with immediate effect’ – but only if a replacement was signed first.

“St George Illawarra have been involved in discussions with Dragons forward James Graham and his management regarding an opportunity for him to return to the English Super League with immediate effect.

“The Dragons will consider this option for Graham on the merit a replacement player is secured by the club prior to his release.”

While the joint-venture club was already looking to bolster its forward stocks for next season, the club is reportedly willing to fill Graham’s spot with a short-term loan for the remainder of the season.

The Daily Telegraph names Billy Magoulias, Daniel Alvaro and Herman Ese’ese as potential loan targets.

But the future of Graham could hinge on teammate Jack de Belin who returns to court next week. De Belin is facing five sexual assault charges relating to a 2018 incident, and has pleaded not guilty on all counts.

If his case is thrown out, the Dragons are expected to allow Graham to depart immediately.

“The issue is filling a hole right now if James Graham goes and there’s an obvious guy right, Jack de Belin has his court case on Monday,” News Corp journalist Brent Read told Triple M radio.

“We don’t know how long his case will take but if it takes two or three days and it gets thrown out, and I’m being told there’s a chance that might happen, and if it happens after Tuesday don’t be surprised if the Dragons immediately ask for dispensation to pick Jack de Belin to play next week.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/54aee44dfe740d286d71ea5069561aed

So much wrong about that article. Not its accuracy..

getsmarty

Immortal
dufty_web.jpg

TEAM LISTS

Presented By

24-hour warning: Round 6 v Gold Coast Titans
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 19 Jun 2020, 03:00 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has trimmed his squad to 19 ahead of the Dragons' Round 6 clash against the Gold Coast Titans at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane on Saturday, June 20.

Korbin Sims and Tristan Sailor are the two players to drop out of Tuesday's initial squad.

The Dragons have named the same 17 players who took the field for the club's first win of the 2020 campaign; a 30-16 victory against the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks last Sunday.

The only positional change sees James Graham named to start with Trent Merrin reverting back to the bench. Tristan Sailor is the new face in the wider squad following Issac Luke's release on Tuesday.

NRL squad for Round 6 v Gold Coast Titans –
1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by TripADeal
2. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Floormania
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by Nutrition Station
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
7. Adam Clune – sponsored by Baytek Construction
8. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
9. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by Fox Property
11. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Modus Projects
12. Tyrell Fuimaono – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. James Graham – sponsored by EFEX

Interchange:
14. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
15. Trent Merrin – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
16. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by SMAI
17. Jacob Host – sponsored by CMG Audio Visual
18. Jackson Ford
19. Jason Saab – sponsored by Baytek Construction

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/06/19/nrl-team-round-6-v-gold-coast-titans/

blacksafake

First Grade
NRL Premiership

Alvaro FMD.