What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you not think the club’s brain’s trust are best placed to determine our roster going forward as opposed to the fans. I’m not saying I disagree with you, I’m not, I’m just saying Ivan and his recruitment team and probably in the best position to judge.

I think anyone is capable of mistakes, including the club staff. I think letting Blore go was a mistake. We had him under contract for this year, it would’ve been easy to see what he was capable of before letting him go.

Blore has missed just as long. Hasn’t played FG, plays less positions and would be double the price

They could’ve easily slotted him into FG for a few games this year to see what he’s capable of before letting him go.

As for his contract being double, not sure about that. As you say, he’s an untested rookie.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think anyone is capable of mistakes, including the club staff. I think letting Blore go was a mistake. We had him under contract for this year, it would’ve been easy to see what he was capable of before letting him go.

I think we are all sharing your disappointment!!

It’s always hard when you bring a kid all the way through and he leaves on the cusp of making the NRL.

It’s just the way it is sometimes. His path was blocked and I guess he felt there are greater opportunities at the West Tigers to make his debut sooner rather than later.

Hope it works out for him in the long run.

Pomoz

Bench
That may be true but there is no rush to re-sign him. He has done buggar all on the field the past 18 months and plenty of trouble of it.
There is no reason the club couldn't have waited a few months to see how he performs. On the field and off it.
I don't see the problem with waiting. No other club is going to steal him off us.
I understand the sentiment, but we know how good he is. We don't need to see what he can do, he can do plenty. He is a natural heads up footy player, just the sort of player we need to balance out the automatons we have got in our team like Cleary.

Kilkenny

Coach
I understand the sentiment, but we know how good he is. We don't need to see what he can do, he can do plenty. He is a natural heads up footy player, just the sort of player we need to balance out the automatons we have got in our team like Cleary.

May is a footy player, Just a natural. Maybe not everything he does come off, but he just offers something the others in our 17 don’t. Why would any coach pick Kenny in front of May if they are only going to play 10-15 minutes, may as well pick Tyrone he is far more likely to offer something positive if you need it late on.

franklin2323

Immortal
They could’ve easily slotted him into FG for a few games this year to see what he’s capable of before letting him go.

As for his contract being double, not sure about that. As you say, he’s an untested rookie.

They could of yes but if he signed elsewhere already. Is there any point using up a spot in the bubble.

The untried rookies get the decent money. I think $300k for him isn’t over the top. I don’t see May getting more than half that

franklin2323

Immortal
May is a footy player, Just a natural. Maybe not everything he does come off, but he just offers something the others in our 17 don’t. Why would any coach pick Kenny in front of May if they are only going to play 10-15 minutes, may as well pick Tyrone he is far more likely to offer something positive if you need it late on.

That is exactly the role he will play going forward and what we lack atm in the 17

maple_69

Bench
We need our starters off the field more. I get they can go 60-80 no worries but having Yeo trundle up field all day isn’t going to earn us many clutch tries. Guys like Burns, Leniu and May need to be on the field more. We are not short of go forward and reliability, we do struggle to create genuine try scoring opportunities.

MugaB

Coach
At the price he's going for and the positions he can play, and the ability he's shown when able to get on the field, I wouldn't be so sure about that
May reminds me of Tyrone Peachey, very unpredictable, its a good thing, at the moment we have robotic Cleary, erratic Luai, and a young Burton, May and Api can give us that Spark we used to have with Peach and Moylan

kinghippo

Juniors
The part of May’s game I have always liked is his ball running. He seemed to really pick his moments well and runs good straight attacking lines. There wasn’t much sideways in his game at all, he takes the ball to the line a lot of the time before passing keeping the attack moving forward.

GongPanther

Referee
South Sydney sign teen sensation Joseph Suaalii on $1.7m
James Hooper
3-4 minutes
The South Sydney Rabbitohs have outlaid $1.7 million to ensure 16-year-old teenage sensation Joseph Suaalii remains in rugby league and will make his NRL debut for the Bunnies.

Fox Sports can reveal the Rabbitohs held a meeting on Zoom on Wednesday where Suaalii agreed to the richest contract in the history of rugby league or union for a teenager.

The deal is unable to be registered with the NRL until August 1 when the towering fullback turns 17.

Kayo is your ticket to the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership. Every game of every round Live & On-Demand with no-ad breaks during play. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

But the Rabbitohs were so intent on landing the signature of the young gun labelled a cross between Sonny Bill Williams and Greg Inglis they have agreed to terms, drawn up the paperwork and will now simply wait until August 1.

The meeting on Wednesday was attended by the young gun teenager, his parents and South Sydney football manager Mark Ellison.

Suaalii spent the summer training with the South Sydney NRL squad and won over the likes of supercoach Wayne Bennett, Sam Burgess and Damien Cook.

Standing 196cms and weighing 96kgs, Wallabies coach Dave Rennie attempted to sign him in February this year.

Rugby Australia and the NSW Waratahs were also having a big crack at signing him.

But the Glenmore Park product who has been in the South Sydney juniors since age 11 was determined to remain in rugby league.

The teen will be able to make his NRL debut on August 1 of next year when the Rabbitohs plan to fast-track him straight into the team.

Suaalii has represented NSW in rugby league, rugby union, AFL and basketball and been wooed by some of the biggest names in Australian sport.

Craig Bellamy, Cameron Smith, Wayne Bennett, Michael Maguire; they’ve all had a crack at the kid who grew up in Penrith heartland at Glenmore Park.

Currently a student at the Kings School in Parramatta, Suaalii was given special permission to play for the First XV aged just 14.

When Fox Sports asked dual international Craig Wing about him in February, the former NSW Origin star was glowing in his appraisal.

“If I was to sum him up I would say he’s like a combination of Sonny Bill Williams and Greg Inglis, if you put those two together,” Wing said.

“He’s got great ball skills, really tough, good in the air, awesome off-load – he’s got everything.

“He’s definitely going to be a star of the future. The thing that really impresses me the most is he’s selfless.

“The feedback I’ve heard out of Souths is he’s like the Terminator.

“When I was playing I didn’t see any kids as talented as Joseph is.

“All the hype is not undeserved. I do think he’ll live up to expectations.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/r...m/news-story/bf40ccc29d4231b011758fcec1db7682

Wonder how he slipped through our fingers? I was livid when Kurtley Beale was poached by Rugby, now another potential superstar has been nabbed from under our noses.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Upgrade Crichton and Burton before the vultures come end of the year.
Buy a centre.
All I would do before even thinking about re-signing May.
Whether he is cheap or not. He has to prove he has deserved a new deal before I would extend him.

Who at our club is more versatile than May?

Whilst I agree that Burton (in particular) and Chricton need to be retained. A Centre to replace Whare is also important.

No one in our roster is as versatile, I suspect we would have been in a strong bargaining position to get a good price, so I can see why they’d extend him now, before he gets a chance to drive his price up.

I can see why others would also disagree and say that he should earn it.

I think it’s an extension that will pay off for us.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
The only player that we have ever let go I’ve really missed is Wade Graham. God Damn it!!

There is Freddy and Luke Lewis, but I feel like we had no real choice in those two. So meh, what can you do.

I just hope we offered as much as we could for Wado.

Panfa

Juniors
We have a decent centre ready to replace whare his name is brayden mcgrady.Big strong fast centre can also goal kick coming back from 2 knee reco hopefully fingers crossed he can stay injury free.Ive seen him play a few reserve grade games for us before he got injured and looks a prospect.

Panther Mick

Juniors
Happy birthday to Tyrone May, who turns 24 this weekend. The utility, who is currently sidelined due to suspension following off-field dramas, has plenty to prove when he finally returns to the NRL this year. Importantly, May is also off-contract and while he’s expected to be retained by the club, it does spark further conversations about how the Panthers could keep May, Jarome Luai and Matt Burton without one of them starting to consider a future elsewhere.
https://westernweekender.com.au/2020/06/masked-panther-capewell-down-again/

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Happy birthday to Tyrone May, who turns 24 this weekend. The utility, who is currently sidelined due to suspension following off-field dramas, has plenty to prove when he finally returns to the NRL this year. Importantly, May is also off-contract and while he’s expected to be retained by the club, it does spark further conversations about how the Panthers could keep May, Jarome Luai and Matt Burton without one of them starting to consider a future elsewhere.
https://westernweekender.com.au/2020/06/masked-panther-capewell-down-again/

Unless there is going to be a change of position. One will go.
The longer Ivan persists with Luai at 6 and gives Burton a crappy 10-15 minutes. The risk is, it could be Burton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts