What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt's price tag

Old Timer

Coach
Concerning Hunt, Mc Innes, JDB
  1. We had long been yearning for a high quality 7 so we purchased Hunt who was seen as a legitimate signing to arrest the issues we had in our halves. Instead of getting what we shopped for what we got was a shell shock who is anything but a 7 that can fix our problems.
  2. We had endured Rein and finally bit the bullet to get a hooker who could pass correctly and have better control of our forwards who were dominating the comp but could have been so much better.
  3. We haven't had a back up lock for 2 years if not longer and we suffered badly when JDB played rep footy and we failed to progress anyone on a permanent basis having had almost everyone in the position with no continuity or regularity.
Now due to the half not firing and the lock position not been rectified and even us keeping someone on the books who is ineligible to play and blocking up the recruitment process we have the following situation.
  1. The high priced non firing half becomes a bench hooker or maybe replaces the hooker we actually went out of our way to get to replace Rein.
  2. The 80 minute hooker who has been our best and most consistent player since arriving is now possibly consigned to play lock full time (where to for Cam if JDB comes back?) or share the hooking role and then play lock to give someone a rest.
  3. The most dubious position we had being the 7 is now consigned to a 25 year old rookie who will play with a misfiring and lazy 5/8 in Norman who was supposedly SOO quality and was supposed to assist Hunt which ended in dismal failure so what hope Clune. An that's not withstanding the fact that Norman is only 1 Dufty bad game from bring the FB again.
  4. The lock position still remains a merry go round with a plethora of players and Mc Humptydumpty not knowing which way to go and continually swapping and changing and running the very big risk of killing our bet player with burn out.
Hunt ws purchased as a half & IMO if he cant survive as a half then f**k him off and the same goes for Norman in the 5/8 role.

After not retaining Robson and on the proviso we needed a back up hooker we would never have signed Hunt if he was still at the Broncos so why give him the role now? Apisai Koroisau would have been far more dynamic at hooker than Hunt and far better value.

We are a club that makes mistakes and then compounds them with additional mistakes and if ever we are going to be a force we have to bite the bullet and make proper commercial decisions.

The good clubs also make bad purchases and try to cultivate some that will not make it but they don't take too long to sort it out and are fairly ruthless in culling out the deadwood and offloading the bad buys asap.

Lots of quality Rooster and Storm players at other clubs and lots of culled and offloaded layers from all over the place at ours.

giboz71

First Grade
The guy is a victim of the worst coaching of any side to don the famous red V.

Hunt can play. He is an instinctive footballer.

He has played for QLD and Australia at hooker.

Playing at hooker off the bench was a no brainer.

Good to see the man smile again at full time.

I agree.

Hunt is suffering what Gareth Widdop suffered the many years he played for us. A class player enduring one of the worst coaches in NRL history and a poor squad as well. As the elite, marquis player, he takes on all the pressure and wears all the blame when we lose. It’s a ridiculous situation. I don’t blame Widdop for leaving for that same reason.

I keep thinking what Hunt could do if he played for the Roosters under Robinson in that system with guys like Tedesco around him. He’d probably win the Dally M.

Not sure whether a permanent move to hooker/utility is the answer but at the very least it gives him some confidence in the short term. Playing with Norman is also a problem much like Moses did at Parra. So that’s a factor as well.

Given the run of losses, it was something worth trying and worked well on the weekend.

blacksafake

First Grade
I agree.

Hunt is suffering what Gareth Widdop suffered the many years he played for us. A class player enduring one of the worst coaches in NRL history and a poor squad as well. As the elite, marquis player, he takes on all the pressure and wears all the blame when we lose. It’s a ridiculous situation. I don’t blame Widdop for leaving for that same reason.

I keep thinking what Hunt could do if he played for the Roosters under Robinson in that system with guys like Tedesco around him. He’d probably win the Dally M.

Not sure whether a permanent move to hooker/utility is the answer but at the very least it gives him some confidence in the short term. Playing with Norman is also a problem much like Moses did at Parra. So that’s a factor as well.

Given the run of losses, it was something worth trying and worked well on the weekend.
Good post.
I’ve no doubt Hunt under a better coach & structure would be a far better player.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
For the 3 areas I want to see massive improvement can be spread amongst our playmakers but that does then leave the question value for money in the spine and what part Ben Hunt plays in that??

1. If we have enough variety in our hit up structures to get down the other end more effectively

2. If we can own field position........ie we then have a variety of players who can take the right kicking options to leave the opposition in a challenging kick return position

3. If we have a kick returning back 3 that can be equal to a top 4 team

If these 3 areas are done well for a few weeks in a row then all play makers including Ben Hunt will be on the rise !!!

SBD82

Coach
Hunt ws purchased as a half & IMO if he cant survive as a half then f**k him off and the same goes for Norman in the 5/8 role.
This is the problematic part. Ideally we could just f**k off signings that didn’t work out for us. Unfortunately we have signed both on inflated multi year contracts, and even if we moved either of them to other clubs they would still take up a significant portion of our salary cap.

So working with the squad that we have, I think that the best balance for our spine is

1. Dufty
6. Norman
7. Clune
9. McInnes
14. Hunt

It’s by no means perfect, but what we saw on the weekend was easily the best performance from our spine his year. And there have been plenty of variations over 5 games.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
A couple of points here:

- When Robson left the game was 2 refs and no 6 again rule. Most hookers played 80 mins

- Robson was always looking for a starting hooker role. He never was going to get that at the Dragons

- COVID-19 has changed the way and the role of hooker in the team, especially now with 1 reg and 6 again rule. Even Cook has had trouble adapting.

- the days of a hooker playing 80 mins seem to be gone.

Now for Ben Hunt.
If playing Hunt as a bench rotation hooker is the best for the team then so be it, his 'price tag' should not be any consideration in this. If thats his job, thats his job.
Given the more relaxed he appeared on Sunday, keeping him out of the cauldron for the first 25 mins or so, may be the catalyst for him to start enjoying football more.
I think the same applies (to a lesser extent) to James Graham.

It was very evident that the whole team was in a much better head space against the Sharks. You have to wonder why and how?

BLM01

First Grade
A couple of points here:

- When Robson left the game was 2 refs and no 6 again rule. Most hookers played 80 mins

- Robson was always looking for a starting hooker role. He never was going to get that at the Dragons

- COVID-19 has changed the way and the role of hooker in the team, especially now with 1 reg and 6 again rule. Even Cook has had trouble adapting.

Now for Ben Hunt.
If playing Hunt as a bench rotation hooker is the best for the team then so be it, his 'price tag' should not be any consideration in this. If thats his job, thats his job.
Given the more relaxed he appeared on Sunday, keeping him out of the cauldron for the first 25 mins or so, may be the catalyst for him to start enjoying football more.

It was very evident that the whole team was in a much better head space against the Sharks. You have to wonder why and how?
Lets face it we all know why amd how?...as change has been finally forced upon some (not the right but at least a step towards the right direction)
The players have not been this content and enjoying stuff for well over a year
I did notice before kickoff the big whiteboard was in its position as the players get the pre-game last rights read to them
Maybe last week the page was blank

A couple of points here:

Now for Ben Hunt.

The “Why” is because we now have a selection panel which lessens the likelihood of Mary making selection errors. Dare I say a meritocracy is being introduced.

The “How” is that even though the board “publicly “ support Mary, in reality even they are now sick of the team’s poor results. So let’s hope the selection committee continues to provide consistent, logical and sensible selections.

BLM01

First Grade
Ben Hunt is adamant he wasnts to play 7 and reckons he will get back there soon and not thrilled about playing bench / 9 but will do it for the team until he gets confidence back
Ben I dont care about your salary and your wishes you add a new dimension to our side at 9..as does Cam at 13
If they move him back soon just to appease then..its just weak
We have seen the future for our spine...Just got to get the 7 & 6 right.
I think Dufty can own 1 if he wants for at least the next year...until Cody is ready

The Badger

Juniors
Such a relief to see Ben Hunt at hooker.His body language at half always appeared frustrated and pressured to the point that he says "stuff it I'll just kick it in the air and get it out of my hands."He seems to actually be more comfortable with his options at dummy half where perhaps he doesn't have to be tied down to precise structures.He has more x factor at dummy half than Cameron who will be more effective when moving anyway and can be more mobile in defence at lock which will suit the quicker game.That looks like a win/win position switch to me if they select that way.I really hope Kerr is given more time on field as he has mobility, hands and speed to benefit from Hunt being at dummy half.

The Badger

Juniors
Anyone watching the Knights game , Kurt Mann was pushed from Pilar to Post by Mary , how good is he playing at 5/8 with them ....
Kurt Mann just 1 of a list of good players who had their confidence shattered by lack of faith and consistency in selections at Dragons.Now for Zac Lomax.Lets hope he is left to develop at centre without being stuffed around.Strong defencive and goal kicking game last week gives him something to build on.Confidence in attack will come from this defence.

blue bags

First Grade
I would absolutely play Hunt at hooker McInnes. at lock. They were both impressive
thats what kangaroos coach bobby fulton did with Ricky''sticky'' Stuart,,, Allan''alfie''langer
played them both at half and hooker, on rotation, in a test match vs England

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Kurt Mann always had the talent. From memory Bellamy was keen to keep hold of him and was pretty sad to lose the guy. Not his fault Mary had no idea how to use him. Rather they sign Norman, they had a very capable guy in Mann but due to Mary and his poor treatment of Mann, he left to chase a permanent 1st grade spot which he deserved. Like Lomax had 1 bad game at fullback and never to be seen there again.

This is a perfect example of why Millward should not be blamed for the roster. He brings in a quality player like Mann, Mary screws him up, he then leaves and Millward has to go to the market to replace a guy that he initially bought in to fit into the team. Which he did with Norman. Mann out, Norman in. Now I remember everyone cheering when Norman joined so Millward actually did try and improve the roster. Saints also went from McCrone to Hunt, which was a massive improvement in cattle yet struggle which is obvious the system in place by Mary is rubbish. No matter who you get will struggle under Mary's systems which he (and his mates at the board) honestly believes work.

TruSaint

Referee
Anyone watching the Knights game , Kurt Mann was pushed from Pilar to Post by Mary , how good is he playing at 5/8 with them ....

Royaly fooked over by the coach was Mann.
2 games at FB, the position we signed him for, then played everywhere else to "fit" the master game plan. Stuffed his confidence for a long time.

Hard working, quality player. Glad to see he is reaching his potential.

Bench
The only positive thing about McIdiot that he will soon be gone from our club, the sooner the better
We need a new coach that will clear out the deadwood, don’t buy any player that is past it at another club
Make sure the CC coach has the role of transitioning the CC players to first grade
Not much to ask for, just the basics to become a finals team

Latest posts