What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons To Break Away From Illawarra.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
If the Joint venture was split, either club has a very real chance of actually being culled the way things are with the NRL nowdays.
Very much this..

I find that it’s not so much St George vs Illawarra, but more JV vs anti-JV..

We’re stronger together than we are separate..

But it’s tough for some to remove the rose coloured glasses..

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, this silly petition is more likely to see St George end up in Canterbury Cup than any other outcome..

True_Believer

Juniors
I find it really sad to be honest. I'm a St George fan and even though I long for the pre-merger days, it sux seeing infighting between fans. We all support the same team and both sides of the board are just as responsible for the mess this club is in.

Like other posters have alluded to, people from the Illawarra region are part of the success too, not just the problems. I've met some wonderful Illawarra supporters who love this club as much as me and that would not have been possible without the joint venture.

If the Joint venture was split, either club has a very real chance of actually being culled the way things are with the NRL nowdays.

I agree. It is a bit sad. As an original St George fan it's disappointing that so many feel the need to call for separation - especially with the obvious uncertainty around the outcome and the future of both entities going forward. I really don't think either club would survive in todays environment. No matter how many caveats you put on it. To me, that is more about looking backward than looking forward.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
I agree. It is a bit said. As an original St George fan it's disappointing that so many feel the need to call for separation - especially with the obvious uncertainty around the outcome and the future of both entities going forward. I really don't think either club would survive in todays environment. No matter how many caveats you put on it. To me, that is more about looking backward than looking forward.

Even before V'Landys / Greenberg mate, the NRL made it clear that Sydney had too many clubs.
In not a massive fan of V'Landys but he is proving to be a force going forward. A truly national comp with competitive sides, and each game being a contest. That cant happen if Saints resort to Kogarah.

hazzbeen

Bench
Muzby , you are upsetting a lot of people , remember mate we are all on the same side ..... We all don't have to agree ..... So let's get back to it , stuff you all .....:p

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Muzby , you are upsetting a lot of people , remember mate we are all on the same side ..... We all don't have to agree ..... So let's get back to it , stuff you all .....:p
I’m not sure who I’m upsetting..

I’ve signed my name to the petition to release St George, which is what this thread is all about..

Not sure why that’s upsetting so many St George die hard though..

Derps will be derps, I guess..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
It’s funny how you don’t like answering questions but put the heat on others to .
I happily answer questions asked of me.

You’ve only asked them of yourself though..

What questions would you like me to answer?

Corner_Post

Juniors
I respect your views but I think you are underestimating the value of the "brand" - even today.
I think the catchment area is not as you describe and under the right structure and management, St. George could be a phoenix rising.
However, there are some prerequisites:
1. No way it would work with the current Board and management philosophy.
Private ownership would be the way to go with the new owners not being hamstrung by back room deals like the WIN buy in and the current coaching appointment that has turned into a fiasco.
2. Easts are a great example of a Sydney club that is a huge success with a limited junior nursery.
The secret seems to be excellent management and a premiership winning mentality. Something that we have not had since the JV started.
Knock uncle Nick all you like but he has carved out a long term success story in the geographic centre of Sydney.
3. You only have to look at the years when St. George were winning games and making the finals on a regular basis - crowd numbers and merchandise sales - one of the best of all the clubs in the NRL.
Why would that dynamic suddenly be lost if the team was well run and successful?
4. Coach - Robinson has proven himself to be one of the best coaches in the NRL.
Bellamy and even old man Bennett have sparkling records (+60% win ratios) because they know what they are doing.
They also attract the best players like a magnet.
The JV have just wasted 7 years pushing McGregor's barrow to the club's great detriment.
Bottom line - the stats don't lie and we will never change our fortunes waiting for McGregor to magically become a premiership winning coach.

Stand alone with the right ownership and management and there is absolutely no reason why St. George cannot become one of the best clubs in the NRL again.
We have to stop kidding ourselves regarding the JV and the contribution of the Illawarra bolt on.
By any measure it hasn't worked and if the St. George "brand" is a little tarnished right now, it's because of this flawed pathway.
Tradition seems to be an anathema to some people but to me it one of the main reasons I support the club.
You can't discount or ignore our history.

What I think doesn't really mean a lot because what we are talking about will probably never happen but if the question is can St. George go it alone and succeed? My answer is absolutely.YES.

A lot of extremely valid points there Dennis that I agree with and we may have a similar field of work.

How I see it though, the extremely difficult aspect is that to undertake such a move to a more private ownership without the existing archaic St George Leagues club involvement would involve a 2 step process in that St George Leagues would need to effectively purchase out the WIN side and then be agreeable to let the football club be sold to a third party. I am unsure how likely they would be to undertake this but if experience goes, they would be highly unlikely to do so. Even if it is eventually done, there could be some serious damage done in interim of having St George managed by dinosaurs in the interim. There is potentially another way having looked at things a bit but it is fairly opaque in terms of how things are structured if you get my drift. Anyway that’s my 2 cents.

No, you haven’t.

What is the value of the St George brand?

How much is it worth?

I’m not sure why someone who claims to be as smart as you keeps deflecting.

Let’s go to your supposed area of expertise - what IP do the dragons own?
I never said I was smart - you did.
Not deflecting just not engaging in your nonsense.

A lot of extremely valid points there Dennis that I agree with and we may have a similar field of work.

How I see it though, the extremely difficult aspect is that to undertake such a move to a more private ownership without the existing archaic St George Leagues club involvement would involve a 2 step process in that St George Leagues would need to effectively purchase out the WIN side and then be agreeable to let the football club be sold to a third party. I am unsure how likely they would be to undertake this but if experience goes, they would be highly unlikely to do so. Even if it is eventually done, there could be some serious damage done in interim of having St George managed by dinosaurs in the interim. There is potentially another way having looked at things a bit but it is fairly opaque in terms of how things are structured if you get my drift. Anyway that’s my 2 cents.
I am sure it will be a difficult path and I appreciate your post very much.
I was only answering the question if St. George could stand alone.
The inherent Leagues club ownership could be a problem but may also become a catalyst.
For me it is only a dream but not impossible.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I never said I was smart - you did.
Not deflecting just not engaging in your nonsense.
Okay, given your reluctance to answer a simple question we’ll take that as you’ve realised the St George brand is worth nothing these days.

It’s a shame that it’s been so poorly managed since the 80’s as there would have been quite a bit of value in it before that..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
You can continue to deflect like you usually do or MAN UP MUZBY..... or are you a jellyfish with no backbone???
I’m not deflecting as you haven’t actually asked me anything..

What would you like to know?