What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vale Offside. The death of a penalty institution.

2020 has seen the possible extinction of offside penalties in Rugby League.

So what has caused this...

A herculean effort by all NRL players to consistently stay behind the referee?

Whistle in the pocket?

No crowds to give “advice” to the referee?

One referee can’t cover everything?

Other?

But seriously... are fans happy to let offside infringements go to “keep the game flowing”?

If you’re neutral viewer I’d suggest yes. But if the team you’re playing is offside and stifling your attack... is it yes or no?

RIP.

Saxon

Bench
So the 10 metres is a joke and it's ruining the game.

But Cam points it out to the ref and K@nt and Crawler carry on like he's torn down a statue of Captain Cook.

T-Boon

Coach
So is the offside now a problem because teams are preferring to give away a penalty than a repeat set (RS - let agree to abbreviate it to that, thanks).

Ifs so, I mean this, the solution is to ban coaches. There is no level they will not stoop to to ruin the game for their own good. Additionally the game is better off without them anyway. Its one of the few sports that would be way better at the elite level without coaches.

unforgiven

Bench
So is the offside now a problem because teams are preferring to give away a penalty than a repeat set (RS - let agree to abbreviate it to that, thanks).

Ifs so, I mean this, the solution is to ban coaches. There is no level they will not stoop to to ruin the game for their own good. Additionally the game is better off without them anyway. Its one of the few sports that would be way better at the elite level without coaches.
As if that will ever happen.

T-Boon

Coach
As if that will ever happen.

I agree. However, what they could do is restrict the amount of time the coaches have with the players. I keep reading that they spend 80% of their time practicing wrestling techniques and defense - with is utterly pathetic and you would think Lord Vlandies would be trying to fix that. So reduce the amount of time the coaches can be with the players by 80% of what it currently is.
The players can be paid full time wages, but train as if they were part time and they could be doing more useful things that practicing wrestle techniques with the rest of their time like studying or something.

BadnMean

Juniors
I don't know why the touchies can't just call offside? Just call out players names or numbers to the ref to decide or just call "line" if the whole line was cheating.

We saw a couple of offside calls last night in the half I watched. I'm not sure it's all that bad right now. I could live with 8m. I joked at the start of the resumption we'd soon end up in the late 80s with no wrestling, one ref & the 5m rule as there's no way teams could go 10.

If teams are cheating now though- it will just be a full smother come finals time.

ACTPanthers

Bench

You severely underestimate what coaches do... Players coaching themselves would produce absolute puss football.

Someguy

First Grade
I think overall we are getting better football so I can live with it. The offside penalty often felt random over the last few seasons anyways.

The trends I have been noticing this season is that the Raiders seem to get away with the most in the ruck and are doing well with milking when in possession, Souths are blatantly offside nearly every tackle more so than other teams. Half of the broncos try to get onside other half don’t leading to a staggered and really easily broken line. Storm not coping well at all and look very suspect in attack when a team moves the ball to the edges.

Roosters who were previously bad for giving a penalty to stop momentum have adjusted very well to the new rules. Easily the most organised defence players scrambling into position and not showing any obvious weakness, knights doing ok in this regard also. Parramatta looking comfortable with the changes but I can see them struggling when other teams get momentum

siv

First Grade
Referees who became touch judges have learnt to ignore the 10m they are supossed to monitor

Perth Red

Post Whore
Referees who became touch judges have learnt to ignore the 10m they are supossed to monitor

I expected that we would see more policing of it with a ref on the touchline, it should be their No1 priority.

Latest posts