What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 ratings

T-Boon

Coach
Yeah those metro numbers for the NRL game are very poor.... there must have been less than 100k in sydney watching on Ch 9. . But you know, Perth is a waste of time and we need 9 sydney clubs etc...

Manly is presently just a small suburban club that I think should relocate somewhere like Wellington or Adelaide.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Has that ever happened before? If not I would be pretty skeptical of those ratings...

First game back, Ours rated very well and above norm as well.
Surprised more Sydney people didnt tune in to watch Broncos get an expected good hiding! 195,000 in a RL city of 5mill is pretty sad.

"The NRL clash between Manly and Brisbane did 394,000 with 195,000 in Sydney and 182,000 in Brisbane."
https://www.mediaweek.com.au/tv-rat...gwood-biggest-regular-night-game-in-a-decade/

Idris 84

Juniors
Gee looks like we copped an absolute spanking in the ratings this weekend looking at the mediaweek site. Hopefully it's just because it was first round back for the afl.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do the fox numbers include kayo or just STV? Nines figures soon dropped!
326,000 people fta out of two city population of 7.5million is pretty disappointing for a Friday night.

The_Wookie

Bench
Do the fox numbers include kayo or just STV? Nines figures soon dropped!
326,000 people fta out of two city population of 7.5million is pretty disappointing for a Friday night.

The numbers never include Kayo unless specified. Nines FTA metro numbers have been dropping for some time now, aggregate figures being picked up by Fox though. (The opposite of what appears to be happening with the AFL where the traffic moved to FTA from Fox)

Correct me if I’m wrong but ratings numbers don’t include
Canberra
Regional NSW
South Coast
Newcastle / Hunter
Central Coast
Gold Coast
Central or Northern Qld
NZ
???

The_Wookie

Bench
Correct me if I’m wrong but ratings numbers don’t include
Canberra
Regional NSW
South Coast
Newcastle / Hunter
Central Coast
Gold Coast
Central or Northern Qld
NZ
???

metro ratings dont include that - although Gold coast has both metro and regional boxes. regional ratings include those areas all but NZ. There is no data for NZ and hasnt been since 2014. Its just wild guesses at this point. I tried to figure it out using the percentage increases/decreases reported since, but they arent available for every year and I couldnt get a figure that was satisfactory for myself at least.

Starkers

Bench
Well in the argument over extending the Ch9 deal, the NRL can at least make the claim it's protecting the brand by not going too early there. Ch9 just shocking really. Time for 10 to have a go.

Interesting...
From SMH

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/hawks-fly-but-afl-ratings-slip-for-seven-fox-20200619-p554c2.html

AFL fans helped Seven to record AFL ratings last week but the thirst dissipated come Thursday night's clash between Richmond and Hawthorn, with the network enduring an average fall of more than 450,000 national viewers.

Seven revealed on Friday an average national audience of 824,000 had tuned in to the opening match of round three at the MCG, a major drop on last week's return to football after the COVID-19 hiatus when the Thursday night draw between power clubs Collingwood and the Tigers enjoyed a record national average of 1.275 million for a prime-time match.
The metro ratings across Australia also slipped, from an average of 1.02 million last week to 624,000. However, Seven said this was still up 6 per cent compared to last year's average of its Thursday night coverage.

Seven also took heart from stellar ratings in Melbourne, where an average of 398,000 tuned in, up 15 per cent year on year and making it the most-watched show outside of its prime-time news bulletin in Melbourne on the night.

A week after signing a rights extension with the AFL until the end of 2024, Seven was also buoyed by the ratings in the two northern markets, particularly as the match did not involve any of the four teams from either NSW or Queensland.

Seven said it had enjoyed an average audience of 35,182 in Sydney, up 20 per cent year on year for a Thursday night clash, while Brisbane's average audience of 29,628 was 18 per cent higher than last year's metro average.

The Hawks' shock thumping of the Tigers secured a solid response at Foxtel, for it was the No.1 rating show of the pay-television operator with an average audience of 235,000, ahead of the NRL clash between the Newcastle Knights and Brisbane Broncos (220,000).

Seven had taken delight in its average metro audience of Thursday night thumping the NRL's free-to-air average of 326,000, broadcast on Nine, the owner of this masthead.

However, Fox Footy's audience had also dipped from last Thursday's audience of 342,000, which in turn had been slightly lower than the 351,000 of round one between Carlton and the Tigers which had been its best for the Thursday night opener. These figures do not include those for Fox Sports' streaming service, Kayo.

Foxtel and Seven West Media renegotiated revised contractual terms at a lower cost until the end of the current deal of 2022 because of the financial fall-out of the coronavirus pandemic but Foxtel opted against inking a two-year extension because it wants some exclusivity on matches involving interstate teams in their home market.

T-Boon

Coach
Rd 6 Thur Knights V Broncos
FTA 301,000 metro (163k Sydney, 138k Brisbane) STV 220,000
https://www.mediaweek.com.au/tv-ratings-june-18-seven-winners-with-hawthorn-and-afl-with-624k/

Geez we need to get rid of Ch9 and its sht coverage turning fans off. Nearly a third more people in Melbourne watched AFL last night than Sydney and Brisbane combined!

In fairness, it was two Melbourne AFL teams - that's always going to do well in Melbourne.
Brisbane RL interest is in the dumps. Sydney's about normal. I think RL fans don't watch much League unless their team is playing.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Rd 6 Thur Knights V Broncos
FTA 301,000 metro (163k Sydney, 138k Brisbane) STV 220,000
https://www.mediaweek.com.au/tv-ratings-june-18-seven-winners-with-hawthorn-and-afl-with-624k/

Geez we need to get rid of Ch9 and its sht coverage turning fans off. Nearly a third more people in Melbourne watched AFL last night than Sydney and Brisbane combined!

I think it's deeper than that.

We've lost the casual sports fan who use to see league as a must watch, years of being bashed in the media has damaged the game so much that it has left only the 'rusted' on supporters.

That is the market we desperately need to win back.

Nerd

Bench
In fairness, it was two Melbourne AFL teams - that's always going to do well in Melbourne.
Brisbane RL interest is in the dumps. Sydney's about normal. I think RL fans don't watch much League unless their team is playing.
Also don't forget these are metro only ratings which favour the AFL because they exclude half of the QLD population that lives outside Brisbane where as the majority of the Victorian population live in Melbourne.

T-Boon

Coach
I think it's deeper than that.

We've lost the casual sports fan who use to see league as a must watch, years of being bashed in the media has damaged the game so much that it has left only the 'rusted' on supporters.

That is the market we desperately need to win back.

I think it has been more to do with the wrestle, structure, completions...general boring defence dominant football on show.

tri_colours

Juniors
Also don't forget these are metro only ratings which favour the AFL because they exclude half of the QLD population that lives outside Brisbane where as the majority of the Victorian population live in Melbourne.

Newcastle is a regional team so there ratings are shown either.

Latest posts