What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

getsmarty

Immortal
mcgregorp_2nh_1767.jpg

DRAGONS

Mary 'sacrifices ego' in Red V team selections overhaul
Author
Dan Walsh NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 19 Jun 2020, 03:05 PM
walshdan-head.png

Share on social media
Paul McGregor says he is happy to "sacrifice a bit of ego" and full control over his Dragons team selections despite another mountain of consternation over his coaching career looming each week.

McGregor was given the "continued support" of St George Illawarra's board 10 days ago when an emergency meeting was scheduled after a demoralising four-game losing streak.

The Dragons responded with a much-needed victory over Cronulla, with assistant coaches Shane Flanagan and Dean Young elevated alongside McGregor to a formal three-man selection committee leading into the critical local derby.

It is a rare scenario in the cut-throat world of NRL coaching where selections are decided on a voting process given McGregor as head coach will wear the brunt of criticism around a losing side.

The team-wide shake-ups that led to Ben Hunt being shuffled to the bench against Cronulla, Cameron McInnes to lock, Corey Norman to five-eighth and Matt Dufty returning to fullback are set to be retained for Saturday's clash with the Gold Coast.

While the prospect of potentially being out-voted on his own team list looms, McGregor has no qualms with the move to "share accountability" in regards to the 21-man squads each week.

"I think it's fine. I'm here to serve my players and staff," McGregor said on Friday.

"The club, if they think it's an innovative way that can help, I've got no problem with that. I'm fine with sacrificing a little bit of ego in the real world to make things better within.

Hunt says hooker isn't permanent

"We've always had a selection committee meet, and it's just an extension where there's a vote system in place to share accountability around the selection of the football team.

"There's three people involved, it's three coaches. And then from that the decision goes out to the players and that's how the team is named."

Selections have been a particularly thorny issue with rookie winger Jason Saab requesting multiple release requests in his bid to play regular first grade.

Off-contract utility back Tristan Sailor is another considering his future having been unable to crack an NRL start this year, while Hunt's move to the bench was this week formalised when he was named in the No.14 jersey.

Hunt was diplomatic during the week about his benching, but stressed he still sees himself as a marquee half, with McGregor hinting his new dummy-half role will not be a permanent one.

"Benny's been brought here as a seven, Cam's been brought here as a nine, and they're both very good players in their positions," McGregor said.

"But what the team needs now is Cam to move to 13 and Ben to nine, because he changed the game last week when he came onto the field and we expect that impact this week as well.

"What fits now may not fit in a month's time or a year's time."

McGregor confirmed veteran forward James Graham would tackle the Titans after he "surprised" the coach with his release request this week to finish his career in the UK.

Graham is expected to be allowed to join his former club St Helens, possibly as early as next week, pending St George Illawarra's search for a replacement.

"I was surprised when we first had the conversation," McGregor said.

"But after listening to James really get to the bottom of the decision and how quickly it became something serious, I can understand his circumstances.

"He's at the back end of his career and he's looking to finish with the club he started with.

"We've just got to make sure that the replacement we get is the right one.

"We definitely need a middle type of player. We'll be certainly looking for a like-for-like replacement."

With Graham's exit looming and Tyson Frizell off to Newcastle in 2021, the Dragons will have the best part of $1 million in free cap space up front.

The club is also in the market for strike power out wide with Melbourne's Josh Addo-Carr understood to have been discussed as a recruitment target.

Given the upheaval in his pack, McGregor said the club would fight to retain off-contract former NSW forward Jack de Belin if he is able to resume his NRL career.

De Belin's court case is due for a motion hearing in Wollongong Local Court on Monday, when a hearing date for the matter could be set.

debelin615.jpg

Dragons forward Jack de Belin. :copyright:NRL Photos
The 29-year-old remains contracted to the Dragons but unavailable under the NRL's no-fault stand down rule.

"He's certainly in the club's plans for 2021," McGregor said.

"He's an elite player and when he was playing he was one of the best three middles in the game at [number] 13."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/19/mary-sacrifices-ego-in-red-v-team-selections-shake-up/

mcgregorp_2nh_1767.jpg

DRAGONS

Author
Timestamp
walshdan-head.png

Share on social media
Paul McGregor says he is happy to "sacrifice a bit of ego" and full control over his Dragons team selections despite another mountain of consternation over his coaching career looming each week.

McGregor was given the "continued support" of St George Illawarra's board 10 days ago when an emergency meeting was scheduled after a demoralising four-game losing streak.

The Dragons responded with a much-needed victory over Cronulla, with assistant coaches Shane Flanagan and Dean Young elevated alongside McGregor to a formal three-man selection committee leading into the critical local derby.

It is a rare scenario in the cut-throat world of NRL coaching where selections are decided on a voting process given McGregor as head coach will wear the brunt of criticism around a losing side.

The team-wide shake-ups that led to Ben Hunt being shuffled to the bench against Cronulla, Cameron McInnes to lock, Corey Norman to five-eighth and Matt Dufty returning to fullback are set to be retained for Saturday's clash with the Gold Coast.

While the prospect of potentially being out-voted on his own team list looms, McGregor has no qualms with the move to "share accountability" in regards to the 21-man squads each week.

"I think it's fine. I'm here to serve my players and staff," McGregor said on Friday.

"The club, if they think it's an innovative way that can help, I've got no problem with that. I'm fine with sacrificing a little bit of ego in the real world to make things better within.

"We've always had a selection committee meet, and it's just an extension where there's a vote system in place to share accountability around the selection of the football team.

"There's three people involved, it's three coaches. And then from that the decision goes out to the players and that's how the team is named."

Selections have been a particularly thorny issue with rookie winger Jason Saab requesting multiple release requests in his bid to play regular first grade.

Off-contract utility back Tristan Sailor is another considering his future having been unable to crack an NRL start this year, while Hunt's move to the bench was this week formalised when he was named in the No.14 jersey.

Hunt was diplomatic during the week about his benching, but stressed he still sees himself as a marquee half, with McGregor hinting his new dummy-half role will not be a permanent one.

"Benny's been brought here as a seven, Cam's been brought here as a nine, and they're both very good players in their positions," McGregor said.

"But what the team needs now is Cam to move to 13 and Ben to nine, because he changed the game last week when he came onto the field and we expect that impact this week as well.

McGregor confirmed veteran forward James Graham would tackle the Titans after he "surprised" the coach with his release request this week to finish his career in the UK.

Graham is expected to be allowed to join his former club St Helens, possibly as early as next week, pending St George Illawarra's search for a replacement.

"But after listening to James really get to the bottom of the decision and how quickly it became something serious, I can understand his circumstances.

"He's at the back end of his career and he's looking to finish with the club he started with.

"We definitely need a middle type of player. We'll be certainly looking for a like-for-like replacement."

With Graham's exit looming and Tyson Frizell off to Newcastle in 2021, the Dragons will have the best part of $1 million in free cap space up front.

The club is also in the market for strike power out wide with Melbourne's Josh Addo-Carr understood to have been discussed as a recruitment target.

Given the upheaval in his pack, McGregor said the club would fight to retain off-contract former NSW forward Jack de Belin if he is able to resume his NRL career.

De Belin's court case is due for a motion hearing in Wollongong Local Court on Monday, when a hearing date for the matter could be set.

debelin615.jpg

The 29-year-old remains contracted to the Dragons but unavailable under the NRL's no-fault stand down rule.

"He's an elite player and when he was playing he was one of the best three middles in the game at [number] 13."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/19/mary-sacrifices-ego-in-red-v-team-selections-shake-up/

McF#*kwit has no self awareness, dignity or pride.

And his continued 'surprise' reaction with every player wanting out makes a mockery of his management credentials.

What an embarrassment he is, yet continues to cling on to his pay cheque.

Straight Shooter

Dragon David

First Grade
I've been watching some of the Souths/Warriors game tonight and noticed Ben Hornby in the coaches box with Wayne and Jason. Hornby will be learning so much more coaching skills at Souths than when he was working under Mary. Great move by him and one day will be streets ahead of Mary in the coaching department. So many players and personnel have left us because of the inept coaching by Mary.

With the other three coaches helping Mary out, why is he getting paid so much to do so little?

Warabrook saint

Juniors
I've been watching some of the Souths/Warriors game tonight and noticed Ben Hornby in the coaches box with Wayne and Jason. Hornby will be learning so much more coaching skills at Souths than when he was working under Mary. Great move by him and one day will be streets ahead of Mary in the coaching department. So many players and personnel have left us because of the inept coaching by Mary.

With the other three coaches helping Mary out, why is he getting paid so much to do so little?
He gets big money with a little help from his friends

For Mary to suggest that he has any ego to lose at all, shows just how severely rooted in the head he is.

He’s utterly oblivious to the fact that he is considered to be the biggest turkey in the game. Fans from other clubs thank our lucky stars we don’t have our own Mary problem.

He can’t plant his grubby deranged footprints all over the club anymore. The one with the missing toes. Doesn’t he understand that?

Graham’s had enough. Whatever his decline ( seems to have been in free fall since last year), it seems to me he’s damaged goods emotionally. I don’t say this as a criticism.

He supported Mary to the bitter end and now he’s got nothing more to give. Spent. He’s one of a number of sufferers.

Every week seems to present further blows to the club. Even Luke got out as quick as he could and these days, with respect, he’s stock. Someone said he’s taking a pay cut to head north.

The centenary is just going to remind people that once upon a time, the club was a world power in rugby league. Dripping with quality at every level. The envy of the game with players of uncanny natural ability who would smash this new breed apart in a comparative contest. They didn’t know how to give in. Not in their DNA. Everyone knew that.

I don’t care if the three or six selectors, win every game this year, from now on. If they don’t push Mary over the cliff this year, they are desecrating the legend of these great men, undermining who they were and what they stood for.

Some of these people are unfit to call upon these spirits at first instance. It’s seems a cruel hoax that Mr Raper is so unwell with these clowns endorsing Mary and co like the muppets they are. That’s just not right.

Last edited:

LINESPEED

Juniors
mcgregorp_2nh_1767.jpg

DRAGONS

Author
Timestamp
walshdan-head.png

Share on social media

debelin615.jpg

Well we all know who’s done the sacrificing

On Webby’s
Day 75

and for heaven’s sake Webby keep The Dullard away from a mic

....as the Exodus now assumes biblical proportions eh Andrew?
Makes Egypt look like a walk in the park

How on earth did you throw your lot in with this universally acclaimed Fool?

What an unfortunate crossing of paths

FMD soon there’ll be just Waterboy, Turnstile,
Rav & the Whiteboard

...along with the Gordon cheer squad & the Journeymen salivating for overs

PS
You shoulda left with this week’s departures needing resuscitation & rehab from the asylum Tyson
...it’d be terribly ironic if you missed a Knight’s Title this year

Still it’s nice to know that all those ex-Dragons in recovery are starting to hit their straps

Last edited:

tumbidragon

First Grade
Mr Raper is so unwell with these clowns endorsing Mary and co like the muppets they are. That’s just not right.
From what I know of chook, he was never afraid to criticize every level of the club, player up. The man loves this club and would rightfully lay the boot in when he saw someone not putting in for it. God i wish he were well enough to have a crack at the debacle that is the Dragon's.

Bulldogs going all out for Bellamy and what are we doing, thats right NOTHING!

Excellent point.

At least the storm got the assurance of a very public outing of the dogs making a play for the bellyache.

Unlike sgi, who don’t hesitate to re-sign the then stock coach on a barely verified rumour from a cheating snitch at another club.

Apart from the disfunction of the panic of the decision, the disappointing thing is that this basis for resigning was never revealed to paid up club members from club hierarchy.

It’s remained a secret of secrets until a journalist makes it public for his own benefit. The full details are still shrouded in mystery ( and misery).

I’ve said it before, but I got the good oil on Pay before his appointment, because the momentum was just about public knowledge and he was very popular with the legends there. But he inherited a mess, wrongly attributed to Des.

That Bellamy doesn’t enter into the equation at sgi, shouldn’t surprise. They hardly want a coach with any kind of independence who has a contract where they come off second best.

Bellamy is wealthy, talented and powerful enough to ignore any idiot directive from Webby and the board. Hell would freeze over before they would surrender any power voluntarily. It’s not in them.

For what it’s worth as a tribute to Vodka, another poorly photoshopped alternative coach-head for the fellowship here;

76C412CB-47AC-471E-B45C-1430F208AC86.jpeg

Just compare the usual scowl and bad humour of Mary to the optimistic, confident and competent Bellamy. Tough but fair.

Last edited:
From what I know of chook, he was never afraid to criticize every level of the club, player up. The man loves this club and would rightfully lay the boot in when he saw someone not putting in for it. God i wish he were well enough to have a crack at the debacle that is the Dragon's.

I heard an interview with him and it was memorable because he was so honest and humble. He understands the truth in the proposition that respect and grandeur is something given to you by others. He didn’t once sing his own praises, in fact he put himself down. It made a deep impression on me.
In a world of dick headed legends, he was the opposite.

qld redvee

Juniors
just heard supercoach's presser ... In it he says that rava has work to do on his game ... If this is the case why /how is he still in the team at Saab's expense ..
Im pretty sure old supercoach has sprouted similar words to the likes of Duffty Lomax probably garrick I think Kerr and a whole raft of players and they were shown the door to CC to learn what they had to .. So same words re Rava BUT stays in the squad ....... How about getting rava catching practice everyday to help him out -- not rocket science and a pretty easy fix but give Saab a go coachy

just heard supercoach's presser ... In it he says that rava has work to do on his game ... If this is the case why /how is he still in the team at Saab's expense ..
Im pretty sure old supercoach has sprouted similar words to the likes of Duffty Lomax probably garrick I think Kerr and a whole raft of players and they were shown the door to CC to learn what they had to .. So same words re Rava BUT stays in the squad ....... How about getting rava catching practice everyday to help him out -- not rocket science and a pretty easy fix but give Saab a go coachy

Anything remotely logical such as identifiable remedial work on poorer aspects of a players game is beyond Mary.

What he seems to do, is take a players strength and then somehow degrade it.

Of the entire squad there is only one single player who has ticked every box and arguably improved under Mary.

Everyone else is struggling under a burden of some kind. Playing well below optimum and getting worse.

A conga line of players wanting out ASAP. Nobody wanting to come, despite the offer of overs beyond any sense.

Theres a genuine argument that results have been so poor over such a long period, that they would be a better side if Mary and staff hadn’t tampered or tried to fix them in any way.

A few of us more vocal critics, based on results and player performance outcomes, posit that the 2019 and 2020 squads to date, would have won more games and played better without a coach than under Mary.

That’s the bottom line.

Which makes the boards continued support of him to be little more than grossly incompetent, negligent, ignorant, a wanton dereliction of duty and wholly irresponsible.

They are by far, the worst governing body in the nrl, in a league of their own. They are to be condemned and ridiculed at every opportunity until they surrender the club to people capable of thought.

A squashed gnat could be running your club better, certainly not lie and bullshit to you at every opportunity like these bone headed selfish dickheads.

Last edited:

hazzbeen

Bench
Its come to this everything they do board coach , don't make much sense .....