What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 vs. Newcastle Knights

The Broncos of late reminds me of the position the Knights were left in - both after having Bennett in as coach.
Brown had to put up with what he had and restructure and develop. He did his job then O'Brien had to get some spirit and pride and play into the team.

I reckon Bennett came into both clubs thinking he could rest on his laurels and get an easy and quick premiership. He failed.

You guys have some great talent to build on but you need much more.

Big Pete

Referee
There's certain similarities, but the main one is the new coach has come along, sacked a bunch of veterans and replaced them with younger players who don't belong in first grade.

Knight Vision

First Grade
There's certain similarities, but the main one is the new coach has come along, sacked a bunch of veterans and replaced them with younger players who don't belong in first grade.
a lot of similarities - the Bennett affect and the new coach that seems intent on keeping someone who should be expelled from the playing group immediately in Boyd ( the man is cancer ) and getting rid of someone who has Bronco DNA in McCullough.

blue bags

First Grade
soft tries. I F;;;; ING HATED them. i would go off my head with them. i would take them personally , im still upset , years later lol

League guru

Juniors
There may be some inexperienced players who are not up to first grade standard. But it's ironic that the more experienced players, Boyd, TPG, Milford, Ofahengaue are the ones contributing nothing. And their all on serious coin.

Big Pete

Referee
There may be some inexperienced players who are not up to first grade standard. But it's ironic that the more experienced players, Boyd, TPG, Milford, Ofahengaue are the ones contributing nothing. And their all on serious coin.

Ofahengaue and Pangai Jr both re-signed under Seibold.

The only player who Bennett deserves blame over of that lot is Boyd. They signed him to a retirement package right before he destroyed his hamstring and he's come nowhere near the calibre of football he once did. Even then, I don't think he's one of the highest paid players at the club anymore with the contract being front-loaded.

The other issue was the Bird signing which backfired. He came to Brisbane with a bad shoulder which Cronulla and the Australian medicals failed to pick up, so I guess that's on the scouts. However, Seibold has had the opportunity to work with him fully fit and both times he's gone down with ACL ruptures. It's just bad luck more than anything.

I can see how Newcastle fans are bitter at Bennett, but I also think Rick Stone gets away with an awful lot and Nathan Brown has been given a lot of leeway.

Last edited:

Nerd

Bench
a lot of similarities - the Bennett affect and the new coach that seems intent on keeping someone who should be expelled from the playing group immediately in Boyd ( the man is cancer ) and getting rid of someone who has Bronco DNA in McCullough.
I'm with you on Boyd. He isn't in the team for his attack or his defence so must be there for his experience which obviously isn't doing jack shit. The Broncos management just have to own up and admit that got the resigning of Darius badly wrong take their medicine and give him the tap on the shoulder and say it's over mate.
On McCullough I disagree. He is an ok defender but pedestrian in attack and gave the long pass that was intercepted for our only try. I think both Paix, Turpin and even Luke are better than McCullough.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I'm with you on Boyd. He isn't in the team for his attack or his defence so must be there for his experience which obviously isn't doing jack shit. The Broncos management just have to own up and admit that got the resigning of Darius badly wrong take their medicine and give him the tap on the shoulder and say it's over mate.
On McCullough I disagree. He is an ok defender but pedestrian in attack and gave the long pass that was intercepted for our only try. I think both Paix, Turpin and even Luke are better than McCullough.
Sometimes the things a player brings to a team cannot be summed up in stats. McCullough is a Bronco through and through, he would understand the clubs DNA and history, there is no substitute for a man who's played over 260 NRL games for 1 club ...particularly when the club is full of kids in need of direction and a calm hand at the tiller.

If winning starts at the head office I'd start with having a very good look at whoever decided it was a good idea to let him walk away.......they have no idea what they're doing.

Big Pete

Referee
Sometimes the things a player brings to a team cannot be summed up in stats. McCullough is a Bronco through and through, he would understand the clubs DNA and history, there is no substitute for a man who's played over 260 NRL games for 1 club ...particularly when the club is full of kids in need of direction and a calm hand at the tiller.

If winning starts at the head office I'd start with having a very good look at whoever decided it was a good idea to let him walk away.......they have no idea what they're doing.

With the benefit of hindsight, the Broncos would have kept McCullough but at the time it appeared he was going to be riding the bench which wasn't beneficial to either party. The Broncos needed that spot free to give Paix, Dearden, Niu etc sometime while Newcastle got an experienced NRL player on short notice. Of course as luck would have it, Turpin fractures his leg in the first game back and Paix is thrown straight into the deep end against the defending premiers.

The Broncos have required a change in culture for awhile and McCullough really didn't have that many runs on the board to begin with.

renouf

Juniors
Agree with Knight Vision, McCollough is already making a difference to Newcastle.

The aim seems to be a side of 20 year olds. If McCollough wanted to go then different story but can't imagine he would have.

That change of culture is going well..

Big Pete

Referee
Agree with Knight Vision, McCollough is already making a difference to Newcastle.

The aim seems to be a side of 20 year olds. If McCollough wanted to go then different story but can't imagine he would have.

Of course he wanted to go, Brisbane could have blocked the move but at the time it seemed best for all parties.

Change takes time.

Knight Vision

First Grade

he's been a great pick up for us. Good defense and clean crisp service with 260 NRL games of experience around the ruck.

Nerd

Bench
he's been a great pick up for us. Good defense and clean crisp service with 260 NRL games of experience around the ruck.
Turpin was starting this year in front of McCullough because he offers little in attack. McCullough would easily be the slowest dummy half in the comp and if he fits in well at the Knights it's a win win all round but as I stated before I would prefer Turpin or Paix over McCullough. Having played a lot of games does give him experience but doesn't mean he is the player that he was or is the best in the club at that position. Look at Darius Boyd as an example, tons of experience but his best was 2-3 seasons ago.

blue bags

First Grade
#NRL MATCH REVIEW
2696.png

Patty Carrigan (BRI)
G1 Dangerous Contact (other)
59' on M Pearce (NEW)
Base penalty 200 pts

Guilty / no contest 200pts (2 match)
Guilty - early plea 150pts (1 match)#NRLKnightsBroncos

Big Pete

Referee
If he wanted to go wouldn't he have gone prior to the season start. I think he he was pushed.

Who would have wanted him? He still had another two years to run on his contract, it wasn't like he was in demand until Newcastle lost their starting rake.

At this stage, he'll most likely be back.

Latest posts