What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Debelin could be back in 17 as early as next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Dragon

Juniors
Is this the same article that said last night that Kerr wants an upgrade to his contract option and his preference is to stay?? These journos are making this stuff up each day. The big fella isn’t going anywhere, just needs to be fairly upgraded and there’s nothing wrong with that considering he’s a starter now compared to 2 years ago

Josh signed that contract 8 months ago and since then has started 2 games.

getsmarty

Immortal
We learnt from last year': Dragons wary of raising hopes before de Belin court date
Christian Nicolussi
June 19, 2020 — 2.26pm

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor says his players have learnt to not get their hopes up about the potential return of Jack de Belin as he prepares for his latest day in court next week.

Rather than sensing excitement among the playing group about the star forward potentially ending his NRL exile, McGregor said: "I think the excitement is Jack getting an opportunity to defend himself in court, and he hasn't had that.''

Dragons players were crushed on the eve of a game against Newcastle last May when news filtered through the Federal Court had upheld the NRL's decision to sideline de Belin under its no-fault stand-down rule as he faced sexual assault charges.

Some of the senior Dragons were so convinced de Belin would return they briefly discussed boycotting the game against Newcastle because of their shock. Tyson Frizell said: "There was a lot of disappointment and a weird feeling with everyone thinking Jack would be back that day."

McGregor said there would be no repeat of those scenes this time for de Belin's trial, which is scheduled for a motion hearing at Wollongong Local Court on Monday.

2898bf286925b5a8bbe7c616fb5d87e0c28f3180

Jack de Belin will return to court on Monday.Credit:Sydney Morning Herald

A return against the Sydney Roosters on Friday week is highly unlikely, but de Belin's 18 months out of the game could end in the coming weeks if he gets a favourable result.

"It's never been openly discussed with the group about Jack playing this year,'' McGregor said on Friday.

"That's something we learnt from last year. He is still training and a part of our group. From day one we've put [first] the welfare of Jack and making sure he's in a comfortable environment.

"Jack is ready to play. He's one of the fittest players at the club - certainly our fittest middle player - and he was a standout player in his position before he got stood down. He trains as good as anyone else in the squad so he's ready to go.''

803904c892a953188498d81987eab13756b011e1

St Helens bound ... James Graham.Credit:Getty

Rival clubs are circling de Belin in the hope he will be free to play next year, with the New Zealand Warriors and Wests Tigers prepared to welcome the 29-year-old.

McGregor was certain the club's recruitment boss Ian Millward would do everything possible to keep the star lock forward. Salary cap space will not be an issue for the Red V, especially with fellow representative forward Frizell bound for Newcastle.

"He'd be in the club's plans for 2021 because he's an elite player and when he was playing he was the best middle, if not one of the best three middles, in the game at No.13.''

Meanwhile, McGregor confirmed James Graham would definitely play against the Gold Coast Titans on Saturday despite asking for an official release to return home to England.

"The conversation I had with James was pretty simple - he wants to finish his career where he started back at St Helens. But he will definitely play this week,'' McGregor said.

"And he's got the remainder of the year to do that after an opening came with [Luke Thompson] going to Canterbury.

"I don't know [if it will be his last game on Saturday] but I do know what James will give us on the football field and that's an all-in performance.''

By making it public Graham wanted an English farewell, McGregor said it would make it easier for managers of middle forwards at rival clubs to make contact with the Dragons.

McGregor said he was interested only in a ''like-for-like replacement'' and not someone in another position.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/we...fore-de-belin-court-date-20200619-p5548f.html

dragons girl

Juniors
So SMH today suggests JDB may well be off to the Warriors for 2021 If he wins his case or is cleared anyway. Not sure ‘win’ was the right word.
I’d be pretty peeved if he signed elsewhere when free to do so after the club sticking by him the last 2 years.

article mentioned Kerr also wants out with the Warriors also a possible home.
Would not be impressed either if he leaves for another club but would not be surprised

TruSaint

Referee
Honestly, how hard is it for the Club to send out instructions not to comment on JDB's " readiness" ?

It's simple to state, " We are preparing for each game with the players available, and will allow the legal system to play out, whilst ensuing Jacks welfare as a contracted player".

No more, no less.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Honestly, how hard is it for the Club to send out instructions not to comment on JDB's " readiness" ?

It's simple to simply state, " We are preparing for each game with the players available, and will allow the legal system to play out, whilst ensuing Jacks welfare as a contracted player".

No more, no less.
Not just say that but actually do that would be nice. Let Graham go straight after the Titans game, move Korbin into his spot and promote Drago. Don’t let St Helens change their mind or Graham gets injured. After that happens maybe try and get Billy from the Gummies but if not just use what we have until next year.

Brutalitops

Juniors
The club's willingness to align itself in Jack's corner could well come back to bite them very very badly in the future.

The only way to handle this is from a distance. Do whatever in private, give him support if you want to, but openly getting out into the media with quotes that will always be there is such a dumb thing to do with a court case of this nature.

The whole thing makes me feel gross as a fan. A simple statement refusing to comment on an ongoing court matter is ALL they should be doing

Gardenia

Juniors
Not sure how the media can predict that anything definitive will happen on Monday. Its the resumption of legal argument - what that is exactly is confidential and we aren't allowed to know.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
The Dragons are in the spotlight for all of the wrong reasons at the moment. I find it unbelievable that clubs like the Warriors and West Tigers are talking about getting JDB to their respective club when his case has not as yet been resolved.

The Dragons must not let all this media talk get in the way of the players focusing on the games ahead and must do things without even thinking about JDB's matter.

Players reported to be leaving, Mary's "helpers" with selections, etc. we really are getting a lot of media attention. Is it good or bad?

Old Timer

Coach
I notice recently the sports media love giving 1 account of what may happen to JDB and seemingly ignore what the alternate situation might be.

I just hope that there is absolute clarity after Monday as to what actually is going to happen and when.

Sick of all the speculative hype from the media and the mind numbing stupid statements from Mc Humptydumpty.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
How about this:

Let’s leave this matter in the hands of the whoever is to decide and see what is the outcome. I would love JDB in my side more thank anyone but for a so called professional club to hang its hat onto something of the unknown just shows how amateurish this club has become.

On that note, good luck Jack and I hope you are allowed to play sooner rather than later.

Old Timer

Coach
How about this:

Let’s leave this matter in the hands of the whoever is to decide and see what is the outcome. I would love JDB in my side more thank anyone but for a so called professional club to hang its hat onto something of the unknown just shows how amateurish this club has become.

On that note, good luck Jack and I hope you are allowed to play sooner rather than later.
Hopefully it is all about the "facts" and nothing to do with luck.

Justice needs to be served of all parties.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Just say JDB is back. Do you believe it will make a difference to the season? Do you honestly believe the team will all of a sudden become top 4? If so that is a lot of hope and pressure for 1 guy. I don't think JT, Andrew Johns, Lockyer, Cam Smith or even god can improve the way they are playing.

Whatever happens on Monday should not be dependent on the season because unfortunately that is what excuses we are hearing these days. The blame game is on how the club thought he would be free to play and there seemed to have been no thought at all that he wouldn't play. How dumb was that.Should have been the opposite and if he gets off think of it as a huge bonus. The smart clubs would think that way. Sorry I should say all 15 other clubs except Saints. Our club is really run poorly as we can see over the last 6 months.
Yes I do. Not top 4 side but yes would make a huge difference.

Merrin/Graham or JDB (even out for 18 months)? No brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts