What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons To Break Away From Illawarra.

Walpole

Juniors
Too many St George supporters have fond memories of the 50s and 60s (when they were children or not even alive) and can remember '77 and '79 but have no recollection of the late 80's or those 20 years before the JV which resulted in 0 premierships.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Too many St George supporters have fond memories of the 50s and 60s (when they were children or not even alive) and can remember '77 and '79 but have no recollection of the late 80's or those 20 years before the JV which resulted in 0 premierships.
This.

The average age of an Australian is 37 years.

The “average” Australian has never seen a st George premiership.

This “average” doesn’t factor in the Australians who migrated here after 1979, as it’s only based on age..

I’m guessing it’s closer to 3/4 Australians that have never seen a st George premiership..

denis preston

First Grade
I haven't misrepresented your quote. I maintain that you are exaggerating and there are not "far too many" people. And again, I find your use of the word "delusional" in this context funny due to the irony.

I personally want to see the day when we are called St George again - ie to regain some lost heritage. Plenty of people still call us St George or Saints. I have no problem with St George Dragons because that was used as a nickname previous to the JV. Call me an optimist but I believe it is achievable. IMO, we are already there in practical terms. It'll only require some will from the top to realise that "St George" is far more powerful than "St George Illawarra" when it comes to marketing.

That's not to say that Illawarra are useless in all this. I think they play an important role in helping to underpin our junior base. If we are to be called St George again, we need to bring Illawarra with us. That includes continuing to play 50% of home games in Wollongong, and junior development.

I know you think you are trying to dispel some myth, but all you're doing is looking for an argument where none exists - and therein lies the irony. Moreover, it doesn't help with (what should be) the common cause to restore our heritage.
So, it's really not that big a deal, right? More than 2 or 3 now, and you can't recall exactly who.
I think we've already established that this isn't the case The common view is that St George won all those premierships largely because of the greatness of St George and the people involved in the Club throughout those golden years.
Well, you've said a lot more than that. Do you see me arguing that point? It's a not a revelation, you know?

Fulton, Dorahy, Roach and Schubert spring to mind. Of course St George also recruited a lot of great players from the Illawarra and that can't be ignored, but I still maintain that was largely due to the greatness of St George.
Is that what all this about? The views of another forum member who is no doubt trying to rattle your cage, and appears to be succeeding?
I do believe you need to re-read what I posted. You missed the start of the paragraph where I said, "We can but imagine..."
We got Langlands but 3 years later couldn't get Fulton and don't know even if he was on Facers radar ( why not ? ) Ken Arthurson did a great job getting him. If we got him we may have extended our run but most certainly would have won another one or 2 premierships by 1974.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I’m not sure if they’re “more passionate” than Illawarra supporters..
Well you're not sure, so there lies your confirmation.

I don't refer to myself as a former St George supporter.
I think it’s just that when Illawarra supporters get frustrated, they have nice beaches, forests & things like skydiving to release their pent up feelings..

When St George supporters get frustrated they can’t do any of that, they just yell at the Taj..

Don’t confuse frustration for passion..

This is why our forces combined are good for both parties..
Both share the same coastline and are a short drive away. I don't recommend jumping out of airplanes to resolve pent up feelings.

Happy to combine forces, just call us St George. You know it makes sense.

I see you have conveniently omitted the fact that the side played in 3 grand finals during the 90s as St George and even as STGI were seriously in contention in 1999, 2005-2006 before again being relevant as STGI in 2009-2010.

Contrast this to Illawarra who generally only contested the wooden spoon from the time of their admission into the NRL.

It’s hard to preach unity whilst you and the orange man continually promote division.

Give your collective dribble a break guys.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
We got Langlands but 3 years later couldn't get Fulton and don't know even if he was on Facers radar ( why not ? ) Ken Arthurson did a great job getting him. If we got him we may have extended our run but most certainly would have won another one or 2 premierships by 1974.
Langlands rated Fulton very highly, I recall him saying something along the lines that he was the best player he ever played against.

FTR, Chang, a Wollongong boy, said a few times that we should be called St George. He wasn't anti-JV, he just didn't see the point in altering the name.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Of course I can only speak for myself. But by asking for proof, you are downplaying the history of St George. It is a heritage that, for St George supporters, speaks for itself.

Former Steelers supporters have been welcomed to be part of it since the JV was formed.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
This.

The average age of an Australian is 37 years.

The “average” Australian has never seen a st George premiership.

This “average” doesn’t factor in the Australians who migrated here after 1979, as it’s only based on age..

I’m guessing it’s closer to 3/4 Australians that have never seen a st George premiership..
I saw St George win a premiership in 2010. The trophy was proudly displayed in St George Leagues Club and the Club recorded it as our 16th premiership.

The same trophy was later displayed in the Steelers Club, celebrated as Illawarra's first premiership.

Old Timer

Coach
Latest statistics say the following about age groups as a % of population.

Electorate of Barton > 60 = 19%
NSW > 60 = 21.8%
Australia = 21.4%

On that basis plenty of people would have seen St George win a comp or 2 and maybe a few more like me and a few others in this place.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Latest statistics say the following about age groups as a % of population.

Electorate of Barton > 60 = 19%
NSW > 60 = 21.8%
Australia = 21.4%

On that basis plenty of people would have seen St George win a comp or 2 and maybe a few more like me and a few others in this place.
I’m no gun with numbers or anything like @Dennis Papaioannou claims to be, but isn’t 20% less than 80%, and therefore a minority?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I saw St George win a premiership in 2010. The trophy was proudly displayed in St George Leagues Club and the Club recorded it as our 16th premiership.

The same trophy was later displayed in the Steelers Club, celebrated as Illawarra's first premiership.
17 premierships! Look out souffs, we’re coming!

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Yep I’m 37 my first was in 2010. That’s why I find it so funny when some of the older Dragons fans go on about not accepting mediocrity. My whole life one bloody GF, if that’s not accepting mediocrity I don’t know what is. At this rate I would be happy to at least get to see one more before I become worm food.

Old Timer

Coach
I’m no gun with numbers or anything like @Dennis Papaioannou claims to be, but isn’t 20% less than 80%, and therefore a minority?
If we take 4 - 5 years of age as a reasonable age to start following, going to, and understanding footy then the following would be reasonably accurate.

16% would not have seen St GI win the comp.
30% potentially have seen St George win 1 - 2 comps.
20% potentially have seen St George win > 3 comps.

If I had bothered to remove < 15 year olds (16%) out of the numbers the 30% & 20% ratios would rise slightly and of course the 80% would correspondingly go down.

All that being said the numbers are not insignificant for the rusted on St George fans who have seen the highest and the lowest fortunes of the club and surely their "legacy" needs to be acknowledged and considered in all discussions.

Noraa

Juniors
Ha ha if this happens you st George faithful will have no players :sob:...all the good juniors come from the gong just can’t get a game

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
If we take 4 - 5 years of age as a reasonable age to start following, going to, and understanding footy then the following would be reasonably accurate.

16% would not have seen St GI win the comp.
30% potentially have seen St George win 1 - 2 comps.
20% potentially have seen St George win > 3 comps.

If I had bothered to remove < 15 year olds (16%) out of the numbers the 30% & 20% ratios would rise slightly and of course the 80% would correspondingly go down.

All that being said the numbers are not insignificant for the rusted on St George fans who have seen the highest and the lowest fortunes of the club and surely their "legacy" needs to be acknowledged and considered in all discussions.
Jesus man, where did you learn to count?

You can’t say 4-5 years old is a reasonable age to start following, then remove everyone under 15 to try and improve your figures (which even then are still considered a minority)

No matter which way you try and cut it, the fact remains the majority of Australians have never seen a stand-alone St George premiership.

Not sure why your comprehension of this is so poor.

Old Timer

Coach
Jesus man, where did you learn to count?

You can’t say 4-5 years old is a reasonable age to start following, then remove everyone under 15 to try and improve your figures (which even then are still considered a minority)

No matter which way you try and cut it, the fact remains the majority of Australians have never seen a stand-alone St George premiership.

Not sure why your comprehension of this is so poor.

It appears you are questions the maths as you have asked where I learned to count.
So if we haven’t won a comp for 10 years and if I said < 5 years shouldn’t be included when would the supporter who has seen a GF win have been born?
I think that means 2005 so why wouldn’t I remove the < 15 year olds or doesn’t 2020 - 2005 = 15

Latest posts