What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KEARNEY GONE!

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
The timing couldn’t be more ideal, unless you back date it 3.5 years.

Why is the timing bad? We’re not going near the 8. We are a bog average side and if the decision wasn’t made at the end of last year, or last week, it needs to be now.

But the person who needs to wear this the most is Jim Doyle. Awful appointment at a time where we needed it least. We all knew Kearney would be a failure here. I don’t dislike the guy but he cannot coach. Remember we shunned a self signed sealed and delivered Ivan Cleary for a guy who has a 30% win record in the NRL

waipiro

Juniors
I have no issue with the timing as better sooner than later as we are clearly off the pace a bit,
This at least gives Payton a bit of time to show what he can do and it also means if they can appoint some one early enough that person can be involved in recruiting, especially a half, people they want to build a team around.

of note,
Does Kearny leaving open the door for a Johnson return....and do we want him back?
Bellamy?....dreams are free...

Penrose_11

Juniors
Interesting how news of Dogs sniffing around Bellamy this week and now we flick SK. Coincidence?? What i’d give for that level of coaching at Mt Smart.

If we’ve signed someone behind closed doors for next season then at least they’ll be able to put their footprint on retention and recruiting. Nothing worse than a new coach and new direction but having to use previous coaches cattle

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I have no issue with the timing as better sooner than later as we are clearly off the pace a bit,
This at least gives Payton a bit of time to show what he can do and it also means if they can appoint some one early enough that person can be involved in recruiting, especially a half, people they want to build a team around.

of note,
Does Kearny leaving open the door for a Johnson return....and do we want him back?

George was the problem with SJ, not Kearney.

Glad he's gone.

Watch us f**k it up from here anyway.

Blair

Coach
Brown a good rebuilder, not sure if much more?
Toovey worth a crack if he will take it.
Wondering if worried about Mary or Pay on the way out that we needed to move on someone like Toovey?

I was thinking exactly the same thing re St George and Canterbury possibly looking around too.

What a relief, he's gone. We know it should've happened at season end, last year. We knew he'd go early/mid-season this year.

It's done.

JJ

Immortal
I was thinking exactly the same thing re St George and Canterbury possibly looking around too.

What a relief, he's gone. We know it should've happened at season end, last year. We knew he'd go early/mid-season this year.

It's done.
It should never have started

He seems a good bloke, no joy in it from that perspective

Where's the cloudsurfer fellow he must be distraught

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

of note,

Johnson’s best years are behind him.

I don’t trust Cameron George to land a big fish, but we shall see.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Faumuina getting stuck into the owners on Facebook

He made 1 point that was interesting, that the guys that have gone over are there as a tight group that have sacrificed together, Will this decision make the players say stuff this and throw in the towel ?

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
The players went to him during the off season to change the game plan....and he did...I think the players may have play a part in this...

If history repeats Payton signed to a 3 year deal before the season is out.
He doesn't have much cattle to work with.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
This is on the players as much as it's on Kearney. Yeah the dude might not be the best coach but have some pride in your own performances over the last few years.

Just coz you have a shit coach doesn't mean you have to consistently concede 40+ points and miss an arse load of tackles.

jaseg

Juniors
Not a lot of point in sacking him before the end of the season... it was already a lost season, and the real candidates are only available at the end of the year.

Only justification I can see on timing is that they want to see what Payten has got - they've seen plenty of evidence RE Brown (Dragons, Huddersfield, St Helens, Knights), so that shouldn't be the option for the mid-season caretaker.

Either way, just satisfied Kearney won't be here in 2021... I was resigned to him getting a pass for this year due to circumstances and being in place to guarantee another shit season.

Shame this almost certainly rules us out of the Bellamy sweepstakes at the end of 2021 though. Bennett is leaving Souths then also.

I'm hoping for next year either Flanagan gets an early reprieve from the NRL to become a HC in 2021, or Toovey. Maybe the Walkers because if nothing else it would be entertaining (and they did wonders getting the Jets to outperform their roster consistently over what, like 8-9 years? including a premiership). Probably my early (somewhat believable scenario) preferences in that order right there.