What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player comments - need a rebuild

hazzbeen

Bench
Ahh how naive..this is how
1. 3rd party agreements
2. Decent coach
3. An owner willing to thrown in his own money to make them continually great with no profit return...probably some sort of tax deduction

Dragons have none of the above
And the biggest point of all BE AS SHIFTY as you can or you get left behind ........

Dragon David

First Grade
I am aware of the three points that you have given it is just that I see that there is no equality between the haves and the have nots which when you have this as an ongoing thing it makes me want to not follow the game because how can you compete with this.
The same could be said about several other clubs no doubt. So is this a fair thing?

So its the old saying " Survival of the Fittest" or "Do Your Best and Not Get Caught Doing It"

BLM01

First Grade
I am aware of the three points that you have given it is just that I see that there is no equality between the haves and the have nots which when you have this as an ongoing thing it makes me want to not follow the game because how can you compete with this.
The same could be said about several other clubs no doubt. So is this a fair thing?
Been like this in all sports and in rugby league from year dot And when you when you add on people getting paid or some sort of professionalism to it that adds another level to it

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Been like this in all sports and in rugby league from year dot And when you when you add on people getting paid or some sort of professionalism to it that adds another level to it
A pity that some clubs are not given some sort of penalty because they are too good just like a good horse is handicapped in cup races etc and weight for age races.

NRLMad

Juniors
Rava dropped the ball at least 2x today on the first tackle? He is best. Also pereira keeping up the same efforts. Not terrible but we can definitely do better

possm

Coach
But clubs shouldn't expect a legup even though their Board is inept and bordering on corrupt.
The Roosters kept under the salary cap by publically offering Tedesco over 1.2m a year but officially contracting him for 700k.

This type of behaviour is rife among the top-performing clubs who seem to have an unlimited salary cap when bidding for top players. The shame is that the NRL turns a blind eye and actually support such a system by contracting Tedesco in NRL promotions; adding to his salary without effecting the Roosters cap.

So just one player and approximately 500k of his earning not included in the cap.

BLM01

First Grade
The Roosters kept under the salary cap by publically offering Tedesco over 1.2m a year but officially contracting him for 700k.

This type of behaviour is rife among the top-performing clubs who seem to have an unlimited salary cap when bidding for top players. The shame is that the NRL turns a blind eye and actually support such a system by contracting Tedesco in NRL promotions; adding to his salary without effecting the Roosters cap.

So just one player and approximately 500k of his earning not included in the cap.
So let me get this right...are you saying that the NRL pays a salary to Tedesco as a 3rd party sponsor to promote the game?
Interesting..... point of view o_O

Dragon David

First Grade
And who's to blame for this sort of sneaky rorting do you think? There's only one person...
We all know who the favourite teams in the comp are and also who are the duds. It seems that year after year the same four are up there, yes they might be better "managed" teams than the always down the bottom of the ladder ones but we need a new cycle of clubs being given the chance to be in the upper level for a while, otherwise, you might as well have a competition with just the top four teams playing against each other week after week. Not very inspiring!

possm

Coach
We all know who the favourite teams in the comp are and also who are the duds. It seems that year after year the same four are up there, yes they might be better "managed" teams than the always down the bottom of the ladder ones but we need a new cycle of clubs being given the chance to be in the upper level for a while, otherwise, you might as well have a competition with just the top four teams playing against each other week after week. Not very inspiring!
I'd go a bit further and say that the NRL have a special responsibility towards those clubs who joined with another club to help the NRL after the Super League period. In addition St George were one of the Clubs who resisted the big bucks and stuck with the ARL at the time.

Surely, the NRL should be taking a close look at SGI management and how the Dragons are tracking. They should also have taken a greater interest in the bidding process for half share of the Club.

I'd say, we could be in a much better position if the NRL reciprocated the assistance St George gave at the NRL's time of need.

TruSaint

Referee

Unless someone has an update the Roosters have Teddy listed at 1M, then 1.25M in subsequent years.

A salary of $1 million this year and an average of $1.25 million across the next four years would put Tedesco alongside current NRL top-earners like Daly Cherry-Evans and Ben Hunt. Tedesco, already a dual premiership winner at the Roosters, would be 32 when the touted extension ends.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/james-tedesco-sydney-roosters-contract-upgrade-nick-politis/d1ae931d-1445-4cf9-af42-21418abed61e#:~:text=A salary of $1 million,Cherry-Evans and Ben Hunt.

https://www.gq.com.au/fitness/sport...allery/a787f2042bee050423630570371765dd?pos=6

I know we are doing it tough, and that the Chooks are riding high, but to suggest the NRL is paying 500k per season for a player has no factual basis.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I know we are doing it tough, and that the Chooks are riding high, but to suggest the NRL is paying 500k per season for a player has no factual basis.
Yup.. It’s pure hypothesis masqueraded as “truth”..

Not to mention clause 6 in a standard rugby league contact says the nrl can use the players own image for promotion of the game..

It’s up to the NRL which player they wish to use to promote the game.. It could be a genuine superstar like Tedesco or someone like Aitken..

TruSaint

Referee
Yup.. It’s pure hypothesis masqueraded as “truth”..

Not to mention clause 6 in a standard rugby league contact says the nrl can use the players own image for promotion of the game..

It’s up to the NRL which player they wish to use to promote the game.. It could be a genuine superstar like Tedesco or someone like Aitken..

I suppose I should have made my point clearer, as the claim is that he is on 700k disclosed and 500k addition cap money paid for by the NRL to benefit the Chooks.

That just isn't true. Can't be.

Yes you are correct re image rights etc, I get that. And good luck to players that are the face of the game if it earns then addition exposure, third party deals, etc.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I suppose I should have made my point clearer, as the claim is that he is on 700k disclosed and 500k addition cap money paid for by the NRL to benefit the Chooks.

That just isn't true. Can't be.

Yes you are correct re image rights etc, I get that. And good luck to players that are the face of the game if it earns then addition exposure, third party deals, etc.
No stress, I’m backing your point :thumbsup:

possm

Coach
Unless someone has an update the Roosters have Teddy listed at 1M, then 1.25M in subsequent years.

A salary of $1 million this year and an average of $1.25 million across the next four years would put Tedesco alongside current NRL top-earners like Daly Cherry-Evans and Ben Hunt. Tedesco, already a dual premiership winner at the Roosters, would be 32 when the touted extension ends.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/james-tedesco-sydney-roosters-contract-upgrade-nick-politis/d1ae931d-1445-4cf9-af42-21418abed61e#:~:text=A salary of $1 million,Cherry-Evans and Ben Hunt.

https://www.gq.com.au/fitness/sport...allery/a787f2042bee050423630570371765dd?pos=6

Please have a look at the contract registered with the NRL at 700k. I have this number in good authority and I believe it was reported at the time.

TPA plus an NRL marketing contract together valued at 500k.

SBD82

Coach
Please have a look at the contract registered with the NRL at 700k. I have this number in good authority and I believe it was reported at the time.

TPA plus an NRL marketing contract together valued at 500k.
Can you provide a source for this claim?