What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player Draft

possm

Coach
I'd like to see a player draft put in place where all players not under contract on 1 Nov each year are to be put into a draft where clubs get to pick players in turn; 16th place first proceeding to first place having last pick.

I know a draft was successfully challenged in the NSW courts years ago however, maybe this rule needs to be dealt with federally rather than by a court in a particular State given that the game is run by the NRL and so a national game. AFL have a draft so there is a legal precedence to refer too.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Possm, I think a draft won't fly at all, however, maybe a trade window would be the way to go. A bit like the one between the Storm and the Tigers atm, except permanent of course.

A draft won't work in the NRL due to a few things, one being players not wanting to go to a club running last for example, or wanting to only go to the club of choice. Also, how would you feel if one of our most promising juniors had to enter the draft and they end up elsewhere? The place would explode, same for any other club tbh.

SaintPauli

Juniors
If the salary cap was designed to even out the comp why are the Roosters looking very likely to win 3 in a row?

Draft could work stopping roarts of poaching all the best nrl and junior players on the market such as roarters.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
If the salary cap was designed to even out the comp why are the Roosters looking very likely to win 3 in a row?
Because they’ve managed it correctly, where the invested heavily in the spine for the first two years and heavily in other areas in the third?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
No, but their board would have dealt with dragons poor performances of the past 7 years with swift changes to recruitment, coaching and support staff.
Why would the roosters board bother themselves with the poor performance of a rival side?

The calm one

Juniors

Draft could work stopping roarts of poaching all the best nrl and junior players on the market such as roarters.
I posted on the site many, many moons ago that a draft is the only way to go to even up the competition. I know there would be teething problems, but it would have stopped the following. Teddy to chooks, Mitchell to bunny and many more. The AFL has had it for years and it works. As far as the players association is concerned, yes they objected years ago but these tough times they would not stand a chance. Remember the NRL is broke they will agree to anything to even up the playing field. Stay calm. To my disciples, stay covid free. Owen and myself would appreciate it

SBD82

Coach
I posted on the site many, many moons ago that a draft is the only way to go to even up the competition. I know there would be teething problems, but it would have stopped the following. Teddy to chooks, Mitchell to bunny and many more. The AFL has had it for years and it works. As far as the players association is concerned, yes they objected years ago but these tough times they would not stand a chance. Remember the NRL is broke they will agree to anything to even up the playing field. Stay calm. To my disciples, stay covid free. Owen and myself would appreciate it
I’m not sure that evening up the competition is necessarily a great idea.

Imagine if everyone was as shit as us. The comp would barely be worth watching.

hazzbeen

Bench
They should have a draft , that the winning coach goes to the team that ran last and the coach of that team would go to the winning team , then we might be a chance ..... Love to see Mary coaching the Chooks , or Storm ....:p