What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KEARNEY GONE!

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
The only problem with Toovey is that he's been out of the game for so long how many current players would he have a strong enough connection to tempt them to us?

WellsNZ

Juniors
The only problem with Toovey is that he's been out of the game for so long how many current players would he have a strong enough connection to tempt them to us?

That's true, but I think his reputation still carries weight even if he doesn't have a personal connection with them.

If we're trying to get some of those guys who would potentially come here just to find an opportunity I feel like knowing a guy like that is at the helm makes that a more attractive proposition. You know you'd be going over for a serious gig not the f**king circus we've become.

Penrose_11

Juniors
How does good old Teflon Tony manage to still stick around? Iro’s been at the club through how many coaches now? Doesn’t look good enough to be head coach but happy enough to hang around in the background doing whatever it is he does. If we’re looking to change player mindset and up our skill level, then i don’t see him helping much. On ya bike

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
How does good old Teflon Tony manage to still stick around? Iro’s been at the club through how many coaches now? Doesn’t look good enough to be head coach but happy enough to hang around in the background doing whatever it is he does. If we’re looking to change player mindset and up our skill level, then i don’t see him helping much. On ya bike

I could never like a post more than this. So true.

ozenzud

Juniors
This is another example of crap management of the Warriors. 25 odd years of loyal support and I'm over them. People who blame Kearney for the bad performances of the team, are delusional. The players are the ones who are shit and good players don't want to come to the Warriors. They can't recruit a decent team. Thats the problem. 2011, 3 teams in the grand final and they sacked the coach that year! It has never been good since then.

Big Marn

Juniors
in the NFL, new head coaches usually have a say in who their assistants will be and most of the time its a completely new coaching setup. Jones, Iro and Payten would more often than not be sacked along with Kearney to make way for the new management.

Penrose_11

Juniors
Of interest i see Nathan Cayless is now working in the Roosters inner sanctum. Not good enough for Mt Smart but cutting it in Bondi

Rich102

Staff member
Wonder how smoothly things will go if Boy George starts meddling with Toovey's squad.

Penrose_11

Juniors
I’d take Toovey and Fitzgibbon in a heart beat but Fitzgibbon isn’t leaving Bondi to be someone else’s assistant when he’s currently rocking it with the big boys.

Bennett was at Broncos land (2015-18) when TPJ, Fafita and Haas all came through. He’s still got the eye for developing talent so definitely worth a go as well.

Anthony Griffin is similar as he ripped out the Penrith (2014-16) dead wood and brought through a young team before Uncle Phil tossed him for Ivan.

Definitely thinking a big NO to a head coach whose been associated with the club previously. That counts out Brown, Payton, Iro and Jones for me. We need a fresh mind with zero ties to current players

Big Marn

Juniors
the coaching box would be more interesting when the cameras are on it. Might give Belly Ache a run for his money.

Toovey would need help though. Even Jack Gibson had Ron Massey to help him.

Penrose_11

Juniors
Thinking bout it i reckon Toovs could still suit up in the #7 jersey and do a better and more consistent job than Blake ‘Isaac Moses’ Green

Blair

Coach
Stephen Kearney, fired in NSW, but with homes in both Qld and NZ.

Two borders that still require two weeks quarantine. I hope our heartless club thought of that conundrum.

Leber

Bench
Fitzgibbon, Ryles, All the other names etc prob wont wanna leave their gigs for our poisoned chalice.

Toovey is a A coach that is actually keen on coming to us... Sign him up quick before Elliot flicks his CV through again.

Blair

Coach
I think 2022 was mentioned.

The concept failed the last time 'round. We often call ourselves a mess, and we are, but we're still here in 2020, whereas fellow '95ers', the Crushers, were gone before the last century was out.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Toovey is a dam good coach no doubt, but don't ever forget that it was Des that built Manly and has rebuilt them. Coaching Manly back then with the Stewart brothers, Matai, Lyon, DCE Foran etc is a bit different to the cattle he will be getting over here.

This is probably the single biggest point in our history and it needs to be treated as such and the process to find a coach needs to be thorough, it needs to be long and it needs to be dirty.

If Autex has so much cash to throw around they need to start dangling some gold carrots in front of coaches who are already in jobs. Im looking at you Bellamy, Robinson etc. Even if you think you are no chance of getting these blokes just put it out there, here is $5 mill and an island if you come over here.

Once those enquiries fail, then we look at the next tier which would be available coaches like Griffin, Wane, Toovey, Fitzgibbon etc.

Yeah its probably a dirty tactic but man I'm sick of being the unwiped arse of the comp, we should try everything/anything to get out of this.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
This is another example of crap management of the Warriors. 25 odd years of loyal support and I'm over them. People who blame Kearney for the bad performances of the team, are delusional. The players are the ones who are shit and good players don't want to come to the Warriors. They can't recruit a decent team. Thats the problem. 2011, 3 teams in the grand final and they sacked the coach that year! It has never been good since then.

Can't agree with this (apart from the 2011 thing).

Kearney sets the culture of the club. Not the CEO, we saw with Wayne Scurrah/Ivan that a club can still be great under a great coach despite a less than great CEO. Kearney just isn't a good coach. We have the makings of a decent, fringe 8 team - but we're not. Yeah, some of the players are vastly overrated. But a better coach would make more out of them. CHT should be playing first grade. Pulu should be in first grade. Papalii has gone backwards under Kearney. Fusitua had a horrible year last year. We're missing out on the signings we need because no Australian player can see any benefit to their career playing under Kearney. That was completely different under Cleary - we signed Origin players at near the peak of their careers. For overs, sure, but those guys felt they could play rep footy here. Not now.