What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons To Break Away From Illawarra.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Nice try muzby but you can't include people that were denied the opportunity.

Your trying to create a larger cross section that doesn't exist in the parameters of the question asked.

Just like in a game of RL if the defender was denied the opportunity regardless of whether he could or could not have stopped the try the try is disallowed.
What?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
So I have to accept your interpretation of my post as being argumentative even though it was never such?

Then any defence or explanation offered is then also construed as also being argumentative.
No argument from me.

And yet, the debate has been with us since the JV began.

Let's just call us St George again. Illawarra fans are more than welcomed to come along for the ride.

It would solve a lot of issues.
That would be a sensible and astute solution to the identity of our club at least.
No half arsed joint billing that has contributed nothing to our cause over the last 20 years.
Once that is covered off, then focus on installing management that is actually motivated to and capable of winning premierships and we might go forward.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
That would be a sensible and astute solution to the identity of our club at least.
No half arsed joint billing that has contributed nothing to our cause over the last 20 years.
Once that is covered off, then focus on installing management that is actually motivated to and capable of winning premierships and we might go forward.
How has the joint name contributed nothing?

Plenty more fans follow the red v now due to having a larger catchment area, one that is the fastest growing in the state.

Why would you remove something that has grown the supporter base?

Willow

Assistant Moderator

Plenty more fans follow the red v now due to having a larger catchment area, one that is the fastest growing in the state.

What makes you say the longer 'brand' name has grown the supporter base? I'd like to see the figures for that.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
What makes you say the longer 'brand' name has grown the supporter base? I'd like to see the figures for that.
Wollongong: approx 300,000 population.

Illawarra: more than that.

Granted not everyone who lives somewhere supports the local team (f**k you storm) but there’s a still benefit of tens of thousands of additional brand advocates in St George keeping the Illawarra included..

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Wollongong: approx 300,000 population.

Illawarra: more than that.

Granted not everyone who lives somewhere supports the local team (f**k you storm) but there’s a still benefit of tens of thousands of additional brand advocates in St George keeping the Illawarra included..
Sorry, I thought you were going to post supporter figures that show an increase in real terms since "Illawarra" was added to the already successful name of "St George."

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Sorry, I thought you were going to post supporter figures that show an increase in real terms since "Illawarra" was added to the already successful name of "St George."
That would be the ideal, but it was so long ago that they weren’t capturing members numbers back then..

However if we use average home crowd numbers, when Illawarra joined St George saw an increase of 27% vs the prior season..

Now, I know someone would say “but we made the grand final that season”, so I compared it to the last time St George made the grand final in 1996.

And the JV team home crowd is still up 15%..

Willow

Assistant Moderator
That would be the ideal, but it was so long ago that they weren’t capturing members numbers back then..

However if we use average home crowd numbers, when Illawarra joined St George saw an increase of 27% vs the prior season..

Now, I know someone would say “but we made the grand final that season”, so I compared it to the last time St George made the grand final in 1996.

You know that would get ripped to shreds in 4 Corners.

So you're comparing the 1999 grand final year with the 1996 grand final year as your 'sample'. Need to do do better than that.

Plus, I said, in real terms. Take into account population growth as well as growth of the entire Rugby League supporter base, over the last 40 yeats should do it.

And I do believe your sources need to be posted in the interest of peer research.

That way, we can present assessment of the brand name from a fan base perspective.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
You know that would get ripped to shreds in 4 Corners.

So you're comparing the 1999 grand final year with the 1996 grand final year as your 'sample'. Need to do do better than that.

Plus, I said, in real terms. Take into account population growth as well as growth of the entire Rugby League supporter base, over the last 40 yeats should do it.

And I do believe your sources need to be posted in the interest of peer research.

That way, we can present assessment of the brand name from a fan base perspective.
Let 4 corners at me.. I took the prior year as well..

I could have included the shitstorm that was 1997 into account too, but thought it fair to exclude as it wasn’t fair..

If I did we’d be talking an 80% uplift..

And the population element is unfortunately null & void as st George saw declines in attendances from the 1996 grand final year, despite our booming population..

I know you’re trying to knock out my numerical based approach for whatever reason but it’s important to note I’m pro JV, not anti St George or pro Illawarra..

We’re stronger together.. ‘04-‘11 shows that..

Even with the rebuilding years in the middle..

All figures courtesy of the good folk at rugba leege project..

Old Timer

Coach

So what does the 27% represent in terms of actual additional bums on seats?

Which teams did we play at home in the respective years as some opponents will draw better than others and you can't necessarily attribute all the additional bums on seats to the JV partner.

I'm not au fait with the numbers but if the average pre JV was say 16,000 bums on seats / home game and say we had 65% of the crowd then that means 10,400 are Dragon supporters and if all the additional 27% (drawing a long bow with that due to above point re opponents) were Illawarra related that means approx.4,320 Wollongong bums on seats (fair enough maybe a little bit more if St George diehards didn't travel but not too many I suspect).

If the number for home games is less than 16,000 and if the opponents drew bigger crowds then the %'s get worse re actual numbers..

So hardly earth shattering and where did the rest of the Steeler supporters go or was that it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Let 4 corners at me.. I took the prior year as well..

I could have included the shitstorm that was 1997 into account too, but thought it fair to exclude as it wasn’t fair..

If I did we’d be talking an 80% uplift..

And the population element is unfortunately null & void as st George saw declines in attendances from the 1996 grand final year, despite our booming population..

I know you’re trying to knock out my numerical based approach for whatever reason but it’s important to note I’m pro JV, not anti St George or pro Illawarra..

We’re stronger together.. ‘04-‘11 shows that..

Even with the rebuilding years in the middle..

All figures courtesy of the good folk at rugba leege project..
So unable to back up your claims. Well, can't blame you for trying it on.

Just call us St George.

Can you back up that statement with facts?
Make sure you include 2019 won't you?

Latest posts