What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Presidents Cup & Sydney Shield

rightleftin

Juniors
As Asquith released all their senior players weeks ago, they are now looking for players to fill up their U/23 side. Ryde Eastwood, Guildford and probably Hills will enter sides.

rightleftin

Juniors
How many weeks will the comp run for? It will have to be short, clubs will starting next years pre season in November

GF on 27 Sept, same as all of the Sydney JRL's. The Combined comp will be the only A grade this year - Penrith had more than the stipulated number of teams but said it was unsafe to have 1st Division teams playing against clubs from the lower divisions. Souths also not conducting A grade, which I believe is the first time since 1908. Souths Juniors Leagues Club will only be meeting the costs for clubs up to U/18 this year.

Pantherman72

Juniors
https://www.podcasts.com/test-79224...ES-AND-THE-NSW-RUGBY-LEAGUE-SPLINTERS-83-0ee8

A great insight into what has taken place at Asquith.

All the Weisner haters out there should have a listen.
Interesting comments from the Chairmen about running at a loss this financial year meaning no football in 2021 and he also predicts a possible loss for the next financial year too. That might mean they struggle to come back in 2022 after two financial losses in a row. Both the Chairmen and Coach spoke well and didnt dodge questions, unlike the NRL club officials and coaches who usually sound scripted and guarded.

With Manly second tier footy based at Blacktown and Asquith gone there is really nowhere other then North Sydney for anyone North of the bridge and East of Hills District to play football at a high level. Hopefully Asquith can return sooner rather then later or the Massey comp will just become a Parra/Penrith comp.

rightleftin

Juniors
The Clubs and the whole economy have been put under pressure by the Health Authorities changing their postion after they got on top of the virus. When the overseas travellers were producing a large number of cases, the Authorities stated that we had to close things down to give Hospitals time to prepare for thousands of patients. The implication was that once the Hospitals were ready we would resume as normal in the knowledge that the virus generally has very mild effects. But even though there are now only 16 people in hospital in the country and only 2 in ICU they will not allow the normal life to restart and let the Hospitals do their job as cases appear go on appearing in perpetuity until a vaccine is developed.

That said, the impact on the clubs of the insistence of a continuation of social distancing in poker machines will depend on the utilisation of the machines in normal times. If social distancing means a 50% reduction in capacity but in use 100% of the time, you achieve the same if 100% of the machines are in use 50% of the time pre virus, ie there is no ongoing change in profits, apart from the close down period.

Last edited:

10$ Ferret

Staff member
GF on 27 Sept, same as all of the Sydney JRL's. The Combined comp will be the only A grade this year - Penrith had more than the stipulated number of teams but said it was unsafe to have 1st Division teams playing against clubs from the lower divisions. Souths also not conducting A grade, which I believe is the first time since 1908. Souths Juniors Leagues Club will only be meeting the costs for clubs up to U/18 this year.

There is talk of Cronulla running their own A Grade comp. I know they were part of the combined comp in 2019 but I have heard they may do it themselves .

Also that post cast was interesting to listen to

rightleftin

Juniors
Also see the news about Massy becoming the Presidents Cup but what about Sydney Shield ?

I presume there is no need to change the labelling of Sydney Shield as it will be the usual teams just not as many whereas and will have player restrictions. RMC does not exist this season with only 3 clubs. it is possible that there are no player restrictions in the Presidents Cup, which when it was last played was the Aust RL reserve grade comp in 1997 & 1998. Most will know that it had previously been the U/21 for junior league combinations for 70 years but between 1910 and 1921 it was open age comp. it was not the first inter district comp as Waterloo Oaks won the Munn Cup in perpetuity after 3 consecutive titles as champion JL club 1908-1910.

Last edited:
Sharky we’d rather listen to a poorly played violin ol chap. Please do not fill this forum with rubbish. How’s about you post some of your photographs.

It's a Massey/Shield forum. I posted something that was relevant.

Have a listen. You may learn a few things about the competitions that clearly you know nothing about.

Get over the photography comments pal. I'm not a photographer never have been and never will be.