What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Graham

Belta

Juniors
Weren’t we only going to let him go if we found a suitable replacement for him?

I think Host looked in better form last year. Not sure if he has been injured, out of favour or out of form because we’ve hardly seen him. It’s tough to judge on this premise but IMO his few short appearances haven’t been impressive. perhaps a lack of game time or disgruntlement or maybe both, but maybe he’s one that could benefit from one less Mary favourite ahead of him.

getsmarty

Immortal
grahamj-200620_sd_09-new.jpg

DRAGONS

Dragons still searching for forward depth as Graham departs
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 23 Jun 2020, 03:12 PM
walterbrad-head.png

St George Illawarra are still searching for reinforcements as James Graham prepares to return to England to finish his career where it began at St Helens.

With Issac Luke moving to Brisbane two weeks ago, the Dragons need two signings to complete their 29-man roster by August but rival clubs have been reluctant to release players.

It is unlikely St George Illawarra will recruit another hooker to replace Luke but they are looking to bolster their forward depth with Graham departing.

Graham has continued to train with the Dragons this week but he played his final game in the Red V last Saturday and was given an emotional send-off by team-mates and coach Paul McGregor after the 20-8 defeat of Gold Coast.

The 34-year-old will play the remainder of the season for St Helens before returning to Sydney at the end of the year.

"It wasn't an easy decision, but this gives me the opportunity to go home and finish my career where it all started - play out the six months and then return to that new chapter back in Sydney," Graham told NRL360 on Monday night.

The departure of fellow England prop Luke Thompson from St Helens to Canterbury created the chance for Graham to return to the club where he played 224 games before joining the Bulldogs in 2012.

"I started there as an 11-year-old and my coach there at the academy [Mike Rush] is now the CEO, and he is the guy who I have been doing the dealings with to sign," Graham said.

"It's obviously a club that look after their own in that journey and there is a lot of fond memories."

The Dragons agreed last week to let Graham go once they secured a replacement but the club is still in the market for another middle-forward as rival clubs are reluctant to release players.

"I'm not normally a quitter and I hope this doesn't perceive me as one," Graham said.

"You've got a coach there [McGregor], who I would walk to the end of the earth for, and a playing group that I am incredibly bonded to."

With Luke moving to Brisbane, Jack de Belin stood down under the NRL's no fault stand-down policy, Tariq Sims injured and Jordan Pereira suspended, McGregor only had 24 available players for Friday night’s clash with Sydney Roosters.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/23/dragons-still-searching-for-forward-depth-as-graham-departs/

SBD82

Coach
Absolutely. We can see how the old plodder has been continually getting a game at the expense of others. He is the symbol of where we are as a club. Old, slow, predictable and lacking ambition to do anything but get a cheque.
I think this is pretty unfair. James has always demonstrated ambition and heart, often beyond his physical ability.

And the past two weeks showed very clearly that Jimmy had a role to play, and was being used incorrectly. Coming off the bench and working with McInnes in the middle, I thought that he had his best couple of games in years. Good coaching would have got a lot more value out of him.

getsmarty

Immortal
Farewell to James Graham - the radical who was all fire and fury and couldn’t bear losing
League
  • June 24, 2020 1:13pm
  • by George Clarke
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
da4b2979adc547fda4b096fe3aa78fa5

James Graham has been known to let his passions come to the boilSource: Getty Images
It’s fitting for a man who has always danced to the beat of his own drum, that James Graham gets to go out on his own terms.

So many of his adversaries – Sam Burgess, Matt Gillett, Matt Scott to name a few in recent months – have been denied that privilege.

The chance to return home for one last hurrah with his boyhood club St Helens after 400 games at the top level, is richly deserved. He could have bumbled along until the end of the year with St George Illawarra collecting his big pay cheque, but he chose, for one last time, to challenge himself and who knows – perhaps even win a premiership.

Graham has always done things his own way. He is a Scouser after all, and Scousers are people to themselves – radicals, outsiders. Liverpool is a city that goes against the grain, priding itself on what makes it different.
In the 1980’s, for example, while the rest of England was voting for Margaret Thatcher’s free-market economics, Liverpool was electing a Trotskyist city council under Derek Hatton’s Militant movement.

85d8d135e31e9366df0d2bacd23e4523

James Graham of St. Helens in his early days with St HelensSource: FOX SPORTS
They call it Scouse exceptionalism, and Graham, in his own way, has always been that.

By the age of 19, Graham was a Great Britain international, who had won a Challenge Cup, a Super League title and a World Club Challenge. He was Super League’s Man of Steel aged 22, and when he ventured to Australia nobody was quite sure how long he would last. He did it because he wanted to challenge himself. In the end, he changed the competition.

Props shouldn’t pass. It’s more or less an unspoken code that came to be.

They put their heads down and carted it forward like lambs to the slaughter. But then Graham arrived at Belmore and said no, it doesn’t have to be this way.

So he passed, turning to ballplay at the line like a halfback. It had a knock-on effect, first at Canterbury, then across the NRL. You could make a case that big men using soft hands has filtered through to rugby union.

He could do it tough, too, clattering into blokes with no regard for his own wellbeing because he dared to. He is paying the price for that now, his legs not what they once were, his battle with concussion well-publicised.

But ask Ryan Bailey, back in England, about James Graham. Bailey was a nasty b*****d, and like all good nasty bastards he has tattooed eyelids and an upside down crucifix inked on his face (he also has a dad who famously disarmed two gun-wielding robbers in a bookmakers with a plastic chair and sat on them until the police arrived - see here).

Games between Bailey’s Leeds and Graham’s Saints were notoriously spiteful affairs. And after one cheap shot too many, Graham made it his own mission to go after Bailey. He hunted him down for the entirety of the second half. The Leeds prop was so rattled he ran sideways, arcing across field to escape the oncoming Graham before eventually being substituted.

It was that kind of thing – along with wiping vaseline on his legs, quoting David Brent from The Office or valiantly attempting to make covering tackles – that made Graham so endearing. In England, people would set their alarm clocks for some ungodly hour just to watch ‘Jammer’ because he didn’t care who he was playing against and because you knew to expect some off the wall outburst.

He was a hothead, yes. The odd brain snap was never far away, whether it was the Billy Slater incident in the 2012 grand final or calling Cameron Smith a “cheating c***” in the 2017 World Cup.
He made confrontations such as those with Burgess or Jason King personal. Even with his own teammates he was prepared to let them know when they were in the wrong. Mitchell Brown, Josh Reynolds or Sam Kasiano, we’re looking at you.

But in the most part it was well-intentioned and manifested itself through his intense desire to win at all costs. Fittingly for a red head, Graham was all fire and fury.

Eventually, though, the flames go out. His last 18 months at the Dragons haven’t been at the level he built his reputation on and despite being England’s most capped player he is yet to beat Australia in a Test match.

468f27108f92595bce5c82933507f66b

James Graham reacts after a Dragons trySource: Getty Images
Maybe it’s a failure of both those organisations, rather than Graham himself. After eight years and 186 games in Australia, the closest he has come to glory has been two grand final losses with the Bulldogs.

“I’m not normally a quitter,” he said on Monday. “And I hope this [decision to return to St Helens] doesn’t perceive me as one.”

His international career ended last year with a sickening knockout in a loss to Papua New Guinea. It is only fair and fitting for someone who has served rugby league so well that his club career can finish on his own terms, where it all began.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/c962990081bfa02354e43eb3dbc913cb

Gareth67

First Grade
Please come back as a forwards coach!
CC

Yes he would be a tremendous asset to have in that capacity. With his vast experience both in the NRL and the ESL he would be able to make run of the mill forwards into hard front rowers . The man had it all and I believe that we shall see the huge hole that has been created by his leaving in the game against the chooks .

SnowDragon

Juniors
Yes he would be a tremendous asset to have in that capacity. With his vast experience both in the NRL and the ESL he would be able to make run of the mill forwards into hard front rowers . The man had it all and I believe that we shall see the huge hole that has been created by his leaving in the game against the chooks .

Totally agree. Yes, he isn't the player he used to be, and I fully understand and even appreciate the move to UK to finish up, but his heart and desire needs to permeate more thru the side!

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Please come back as a forwards coach!
CC

Interesting isn't it?

Graham 'suddenly' departs to take up a 6mth contract in ESL, in the midst of the COVID pandemic. Then state he will return to Aust.

Mmmmm, somethings not right here.

Me thinks Graham already knows whats going down in the club, or at least has a fair idea. So he's hightailing out of there. He's also very vocal to Mc85's coaching, if so, why not stay and prove this is the case?

He's seen the writing on the wall, if you ask me.

He'll be back in Jan/Feb, wouldn't surprise, a coaching deal has been struck, which triggered the whole scenario.

NRLMad

Juniors
Isn’t the natural answer that he is being a natural born leader and clubman and taking the hit to allow the club to sign people before June 30?

Jbjbjb40

Juniors
What did he do for us and he will be at the Dogs next year
Seems like he will end up coaching at the Dogs.
He did say he was coming back to Sydney and would have mentioned the Saints if he had agreed to anything.
Has proven himself here in the NRL, without doubt, just not with Saints.
#someonehelpus