What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons To Break Away From Illawarra.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
At least it would remove the paradox from our moniker.

I mean, I understand it was a natural transition to contract Dragon Slayers to Dragons. But it’s always seemed a little odd to me that the first part of our name is renowned for slaying the second part.

If I was more superstitious, I’d say that we cursed ourselves with a self destructive streak.
Seemed to serve us well in days of yore.

Old Timer

Coach
How about the Gordon’s sells their stake back to St George
He then registers the business name
Illawarra Ltd
He then does a deal for the money we pay him and becomes one of our major sponsor for x years with 1st option to extend
In turn we give him the top left side of the jersey for his logo and remove Illawarra off the emblem.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Illawarra Ltd
He then does a deal for the money we pay him and becomes one of our major sponsor for x years with 1st option to extend
In turn we give him the top left side of the jersey for his logo and remove Illawarra off the emblem.
Ladies & gentlemen, the 3rd wave..

Old Timer

Coach
Illawarra Ltd
Edit
I should have said sleeve

Bench
Some group just bought the Illawarra Hawks and it’s now known as just the Hawks
Oh joy if that can happen to our club

Willow

Assistant Moderator
When Knights were bold?
I question the damsel in distress version.

The historical St George served in the Roman army but refused to denounce Christianity. For his faith, he was eventually beheaded by order of the Emperor Diocletian who, according to some sources, was known as 'the Dragon' by his enemies. So, the Dragon did kill St George.

This somehow morphed into a myth where an actual Dragon was slayed by St George. I blame the Crusades.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Some group just bought the Illawarra Hawks and it’s now known as just the Hawks
Oh joy if that can happen to our club
So drop the location names and just call us Dragons?

Foolish idea.. You’d alienate people from both regions, plus make it easier for the NRL to move us to Perth.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

The historical St George served in the Roman army but refused to denounce Christianity. For his faith, he was eventually beheaded by order of the Emperor Diocletian who, according to some sources, was known as 'the Dragon' by his enemies. So, the Dragon did kill St George.

This somehow morphed into a myth where an actual Dragon was slayed by St George. I blame the Crusades.
St George didn’t discover dinosaur bones by any chance?

SBD82

Coach
I feel like this thread went off track when we went away from the idea of a team in the Solomon Islands.
You’re right.

The Solomon answer is probably the best solution.

We offer to both clubs to carve up the JV, and send them both to CC. The one that says that they would rather forego their rights and see the first grade side survive is obviously the true supporter.

SBD82

Coach

I honestly had no idea. I’d always assumed that St George was an Englishman, due to the celebration of St George’s day/ the use of the cross/ the Camelot feel of the myth.

I guess it’s easy to overlook the roots of words or symbols that are familiar. Wearing a Dragons Jersey in Northern Ireland gave me a whole new insight into the historical significance of our strip. I’ll always proudly wear one. But I don’t think I’ll wear one again in Northern Ireland.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
You’re right.

The Solomon answer is probably the best solution.

We offer to both clubs to carve up the JV, and send them both to CC. The one that says that they would rather forego their rights and see the first grade side survive is obviously the true supporter.
The Solomon Saints..

Well, at least skull would be happy..