What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Joel-22

Juniors
Thats what I saw, a player whose confidence was destroyed by our rubbish team. By the time he got to the Roosters the damage was done. Cogger wasn't the better of the two for mine.

Agree strongly with the bolded text.

It seems to be a dissenting opinion which is strange to me. Lamb had a couple of games in first grade where he genuinely looked like a dominant half, racking up multiple try assists.

To my knowledge Cogger has never done that. Happy for someone to point me towards evidence for the contrary

PhilGould

Bench
Quotes from Herman's manager, definitely sounds like he'll be leaving

“The Titans are definitely an option for Herman,” he said.

“His partner has family in Queensland and he went to school in Brisbane so he is looking to play for the Titans.

“He is related to Tino so that’s another attraction to come to the Gold Coast. He would like to play with Tino.

“I am talking to a few clubs and then I am waiting to hear back from Newcastle.

“He has a few options but Herman is looking to come home.”

“We were close to signing with the Titans for this year but unfortunately the Knights weren’t able to release him,” Mammino said.

“We are giving Newcastle every opportunity to retain a player they brought down from the Brisbane Broncos.

“The new pace of the game will work wonders for Herman. Bigger forwards need leg speed under the new rules and Herman has that. He has a lot to offer any club with his experience and agility.

“We haven’t given thought to Herman to being at the Titans this year. The offer was initially on the table but the Knights won’t entertain that. He wants to get the job done this year, go deep into the season this year and hopefully win a grand final at Newcastle under Adam O’Brien.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...1/news-story/26a8f1ed80b4450facaaf81e0d3ef1f8

Knight Vision

First Grade
Aren't the Titans bringing in David Fifita?

What's the issue up there? Talent in the wrong areas or just a reserve grade squad?
They're a club without a soul, lack of character or something that defines them. Even their logo is a bit of nothing....what colours are they exactly ? ( bit like penrith or warriors in that regard ) They have never been the entertainers nor the hard nosed grinding type club that strike fear into other teams.... They seem to lack a professional to put the package together........I wouldnt be surprised at all if that club folded at some stage....

Knight76

Juniors
Titans issue is the same as it has always been, they are a club with no culture, no history, no soul as Knight Vision said. They can't recruit well because what is any player going there for? Money, not reputation, it won't improve their chances of becoming a rep player, they aren't a club steeped in tradition, a nothing club really.

Which honestly is a shame.

On Herman leaving, it's a no brainer for roster management. For what he brings to game day, for the price he will be asking we can get that for half the price. He is better off taking the money on offer and get what he can.

Herman isn't a player that is going to be the deciding factor in winning a game. Not a player that is going to help the pack get ascendancy over an opposition pack.

Better off without him.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Quotes from Herman's manager, definitely sounds like he'll be leaving

“The Titans are definitely an option for Herman,” he said.

“His partner has family in Queensland and he went to school in Brisbane so he is looking to play for the Titans.

“He is related to Tino so that’s another attraction to come to the Gold Coast. He would like to play with Tino.

“I am talking to a few clubs and then I am waiting to hear back from Newcastle.

“He has a few options but Herman is looking to come home.”

“We were close to signing with the Titans for this year but unfortunately the Knights weren’t able to release him,” Mammino said.

“We are giving Newcastle every opportunity to retain a player they brought down from the Brisbane Broncos.

“The new pace of the game will work wonders for Herman. Bigger forwards need leg speed under the new rules and Herman has that. He has a lot to offer any club with his experience and agility.

“We haven’t given thought to Herman to being at the Titans this year. The offer was initially on the table but the Knights won’t entertain that. He wants to get the job done this year, go deep into the season this year and hopefully win a grand final at Newcastle under Adam O’Brien.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...1/news-story/26a8f1ed80b4450facaaf81e0d3ef1f8
Herman is doing exactly what people like Levi (and probably Lamb) should have done at this sort of juncture of their respective careers...realised that they may not be part of the long term plans of their current club but go out and use the platform while you have it to show what value you can bring to a team, show your professionalism by putting in your best for the team you play with now and the rest will take care of itself.

I have been really impressed with the effort and improvement in Ese's game for us this year. I honestly still see some of the flaws (particularly defensively and the effort on effort areas) but it is not that he isn't trying to improve, they are just aspects that he needs to fix to take his game to the next level for mine - what he is doing though is showing his improvement in mental attitude and his willingness to work on those and improve as a player, even if it is not in a Knights jersey next year. That will rightly secure him plenty of good options and offers next year to continue a first grade career in the NRL.

Silent Knight

First Grade
They're a club without a soul, lack of character or something that defines them. Even their logo is a bit of nothing....what colours are they exactly ? ( bit like penrith or warriors in that regard ) They have never been the entertainers nor the hard nosed grinding type club that strike fear into other teams.... They seem to lack a professional to put the package together........I wouldnt be surprised at all if that club folded at some stage....

In their formative years I considered them entertainers. Back when they had Scott Prince, Preston Campbell and Mat Rogers on their books and speedsters like Kevin Gordon out wide. They weren’t bad back then and had decent crowd support.

They’ve gone downhill since those early years and I can suggest a few key reasons:
  • Recruitment - For far too long they’ve gone after players who want an easy over-inflated pay check. Jarryd Hayne, Dave Taylor, Shannon Boyd, Jamal Idris and Bryce Cartwright to name a few. Guys who never really bought into the club.
  • NSW-Centric Focus in Queensland - Mal has started to turn this around in terms of targeting Queensland-based players but for a while there the Titans looked more like a satellite club for Penrith or Newcastle in terms of taking in their cast-offs. It doesn’t help that two of their previous coaches (Cartwright and Brennan) were heavily linked with Penrith. There is also a serious disconnect between the Titans and the Gold Coast junior clubs like Keebra Park and the Burleigh Bears.
  • Isolated Stadium - yes I know there’s a train station nearby but guess what a large part of the Gold Coast population isn’t serviced by rail. A lot of the population gets around by car or the light rail if they’re lucky. I can’t believe in a rugby league-mad state that CBUS Stadium isn’t serviced by light rail but the Suns AFL club that no one gives a toss about does. If CBUS can’t get a light rail link at least build a free car park nearby and get rid of the ridiculous Fort Knox-style police presence at every Titans home game, shutting down roads and all that crap. You can still park near Marathon on Knights game day ffs.
Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Yeah I feel bad for poor old Titans fans, we’ve been arguably worse than them over the last 15 years but at least we’ve got a couple of premierships and a rich history to fall back.

To be fair the Titans were a pretty tough side in their formative years. As someone else mentioned before they had guys like Luke Bailey, Scott Prince, Preston Campbell, Matt Rogers etc. and they generally punched above their weight.

Unfortunately since then they’ve lost the character that they used to have and the fans don’t want to turn up every week and watch a team full of players who only signed for the money and won’t put in.

Tbh that felt like us a bit only a few years go. I hope that they manage to turn it around.

Spot On

Coach
Their recruitment, size and length if contracts have been seriously f**king stupid.

Jarrad Hayne. Enough said.

Cartwright. WTF?

Shannon Boyd.

Etc, etc.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Ash Taylor
he was supposed be be the next big thing remember? the experts we're all saying he was going to be the next QLD half for a decade.

It does go to show what a terrible system can do to a young man's confidence...imagine all that pressure ?
where he would be now if he was at Melbourne ? or the Rorters...hopefully he can be saved and at least muster up a semi decent career out of the wreckage.

Spot On

Coach
he was supposed be be the next big thing remember? the experts we're all saying he was going to be the next QLD half for a decade.

It does go to show what a terrible system can do to a young man's confidence...imagine all that pressure ?
where he would be now if he was at Melbourne ? or the Rorters...hopefully he can be saved and at least muster up a semi decent career out of the wreckage.

He looked to have a really good kicking game ... but that was it. Maybe a beyter 'system' or a coach like Bellamy would hsve addressed hos many weak points? Not sure. Bellamy is working overtime to create halves at Mlb but it takes a long while.

Yosh

Coach
he wouldnt have passed the coffee test at the Storm, they have an emphasis on being a decent human first and good player second.

wow forgot about him, surely the game has passed by this type of player? big laboring behemoth with a motor good for a 15 -20 min stint tops.

Cam Smith is the worst scum on earth... But they do only hire professionals to be fairm

Knight Vision

First Grade
Cam Smith is the worst scum on earth... But they do only hire professionals to be fairm
I got to admit they dont play the game the way I like. I could never support that club. I still have a bit of a grudge against them from McKinnon's accident and f**king cheating

ryana87

Juniors
Benji Marshall being shopped around apparently..... If Mann doesn't develop a kicking game, could be a handy pick up?

Or have we already filled our roster for the year?

Latest posts