What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons To Break Away From Illawarra.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I honestly had no idea. I’d always assumed that St George was an Englishman, due to the celebration of St George’s day/ the use of the cross/ the Camelot feel of the myth.

I guess it’s easy to overlook the roots of words or symbols that are familiar. Wearing a Dragons Jersey in Northern Ireland gave me a whole new insight into the historical significance of our strip. I’ll always proudly wear one. But I don’t think I’ll wear one again in Northern Ireland.
George is believed to be of Turkish and Greek origin... depending on historical boundaries. Not a spit of English in him.

It is said that King Richard 'the Lion Heart' preferred St George over the previous patron saints. We could have been called the St Edmund DRLFC or the St Edward DLRFC if not for the war mongering English monarch who only spoke French.

St George is the patron Saint of lots of countries, about 17 in all, including England. And interestingly, Palestine. George was a well travelled fella.

But the English only adopted him because of his christian martyrdom and military background... he died for Christ at the hands of pagans etc etc.... "let's go off on another Crusade... yay!"

It's important to forget all this when supporting our team at the game.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I like the fact that St George has a story which goes back 2,000 years..

It helps bring a modern edge to the 300 million year old Illawarra region..

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I like the fact that St George has a story which goes back 2,000 years..

It helps bring a modern edge to the 300 million year old Illawarra region..
I don't think so.

We called it Pangaea back then, everything was Pangaea. Although I'm sure there was a primordial swamp where amphibians debated over what to call their respective puddles.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Oh well, another thread about our identity and heritage... by the weekend it will probably sail off into the sunset.... like so many before. Of course, there was a time when this question of identity wasn't a debate.

Until the next thread...

Go Saints!

sh_provan_portrait.jpg

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I've seen that pic of the bjg W before. I think you're missing the point muz.

SaintPauli

Juniors
So building on that, if we took 40% of the funding away from the JV, and let’s say 25% of members - how would we survive?
Most funding clubs get these days is from nrl, tv deals and sponsors. ST GEORGE DRAGONS won't fall behind there. Most supporters will stick by.

Last edited:

SaintPauli

Juniors
Why are you making it about the Steelers again?

The debate is would st George be stronger alone.

The fact remains that the home crowd numbers went up when St George started the joint venture.

As for your “burning questions” these really are just hypothetical questions from history which can’t be answered correctly by anyone.

Yes, I believe St George would be stronger alone.

1. There is only 1 salary cap
2. Kogarah would attrack more players due to city proximity.
3. Many players love living in StGeorge area and Sutherland shire which is next door.
4. One home ground. The holy grail of Jubilee Oval.
5. The taj across the road which still does profit.

Yes, I believe St George would be stronger alone.

1. There is only 1 salary cap
2. Kogarah would attrack more players due to city proximity.
3. Many players love living in StGeorge area and Sutherland shire which is next door.
4. One home ground. The holy grail of Jubilee Oval.
5. The taj across the road which still does profit.

I here the battle hymme of the republic in the distance!

“Oh when the Saints”!

Latest posts