What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
These AFL types are insidious. At our local grounds we have our rectangular field which is for juniors/seniors. We also had access to the ground next to it and shared with soccer. Now we've lost access to that field and it has AFL posts on it. On a rectangular field. I'm sure soccer aren't happy about it. On the other side is a brand new fake grass oval complex for AFL and cricket.

I noticed on Tuesday night they were also setting up to do training on the asphalt netball courts, that are currently used by 2 separate local netball clubs.
They usually rape Cricket clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looks like this AFL-loving idiot Tony Sheppard will be running the merged NSW stadiums mob.

It has all worked out exactly how I thought it would. The ANZ Stadium re-development would be canned and the SFS would go ahead.

As soon as they went with the SFS knockdown first, it was over.

That fat Stuart Ayres prick and his SCG Trust mates won the day.

It's criminal that the 80k biggest stadium in Sydney remains oval.

The AFL wins again.

RL once again out maneuvered by its competitor. Probably says more about us than them tbh.
Oh well there's always the suburban dream to hang on to lol

Jamberoo

Juniors
Yep.AFL gets to play semis in an oval ANZ.A ground they always wanted to remain in that configuration. Shepherd is like a fifth columnist, pretending to be friends to all, but as Giant's Chairman subversively pushing the AFL barrow.
He made his point some time ago, when he was in full praise of AFL as a sport compared to the others, and how his club was doing better with X numbers of members.
Never trusted the guy then, and my view remains unchanged.
V'Landys has got to continue to take it up to these guys, they've been getting their own way at taxpayers' expense for far too long.
The AFL does not want to play there. They stopped playing there in 2016. Swans want to play SCG. GWS can’t fill 23k Showgrounds even for a final. Only game they might want to play is a GWS v Swans final which might happen once every 5 - 10 years. Still, it is strange that Sydney has more AFL stadiums than Melbourne.

siv

First Grade
The AFL does not want to play there. They stopped playing there in 2016. Swans want to play SCG. GWS can’t fill 23k Showgrounds even for a final. Only game they might want to play is a GWS v Swans final which might happen once every 5 - 10 years. Still, it is strange that Sydney has more AFL stadiums than Melbourne.

Depends if you think a cricket field is a AFL stadium

wazdog

Juniors
AFLX was the biggest joke of a concept.

We went to one of the days at Allianz and all sat there drinking beer for an hour waiting for each other to say this is shit let's go to the pub.

taipan

Referee

I stated semis not comp games.I realise the Giants couldn't fill a stomach on a bag of hot chips.The Swans always want to play at the SCG ,that's where the latte set hang out.

Brutus

Referee

The AFL have always wanted the option of playing there. GWS will play some games there down the track. You watch.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Think most had hoped that NSW Govt would merge SCGT INTO the Stadium management company, not the other way round! Some good strings pulled there!

same thing in the end. The important thing will be the balance of directors.

its shit that VFLs Shepherd (or whatever his name is) will be chairman, but if we can get 4 out of 7 who arent VFL stooges, we should be ok.

The AFL have always wanted the option of playing there. GWS will play some games there down the track. You watch.

Its why the stadium wasn’t properly reconfigured after the Olympics. The plan was to bring the seating in closer to the playing field but the AFL campaigned today play there too, so instead it took on the configuration it has today. Then they left.

So we could have already had a far greater stadiums for League etc.

jim_57

Staff member
Its why the stadium wasn’t properly reconfigured after the Olympics. The plan was to bring the seating in closer to the playing field but the AFL campaigned today play there too, so instead it took on the configuration it has today. Then they left.

So we could have already had a far greater stadiums for League etc.

Hopefully FIFA stamp out any chance of ANZ remaining oval. I imagine it was listed in the bid that it won't be oval by the time the event comes around.

jim_57

Staff member
Yeah it will be a disruption, but no where near the disruption of this year. Here are the venues for the women's world cup:

ANZ
SFS
Suncorp
AAMI Park
McDonald Jones Stadium
Perth Oval- HBF Park
York Park
Hindmarsh
Eden Park
Wellington
Dunedin
Waikato
Christchurch

So for the NRL, it will effect five grounds: Suncorp, AAMI, SFS, ANZ and Newcastle.

So will any of these venues besides ANZ be getting any upgrades? Newcastle, Hindmarsh & Wellington seem the most obvious possibilities.

Is there any outside chance the venues could change with approval from FIFA?

Latest posts