What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All Blacks v Australia Kangaroos in historic cross-code match

blue bags

First Grade
New Zealand Rugby boss Mark Robinson has confirmed the All Blacks are in talks to play the Kangaroos in a potentially lucrative cross-code clash later this year.

Reports from Australia's Courier Mail emerged on Thursday stating the All Blacks and Mal Meninga's Australian rugby league team would meet in a hybrid international following "top-secret negotiations" between New Zealand Rugby and the National Rugby League.

As it stands, the All Blacks are scheduled to play the Wallabies in a four-match Bledisloe Cup series, with the first test pencilled in for October 10 and likely to be staged in Wellington, but this situation remains fluid while borders remain closed.During a wide-ranging conference call with media on Thursday, Robinson confirmed the Kangaroos match was also on the table.

"The concept of the All Blacks playing the Kangaroos later in the year, we must be very clear that our priority is we want the All Blacks to play international rugby for the remainder of the year and we've talked about the uncertainty associated with that," Robinson said.

"But absolutely we've had the option put to us of this hybrid game with the Kangaroos. It's one of many different scenarios in a unique year like this that we're considering, looking to be innovative and having a focus on trying to consider revenue-generating ideas at this time give then financial climate we're in.

Four years ago reports suggested the one-off match could generate each team $10 million.

"The last time New Zealand Rugby had an approach was in 2017 and at that stage for various reasons it wasn't taken any further. We're interested in learning more, as we are a whole range of things that are being put to us at the moment.

"We'll work that through and go through the proper process in terms of making a decision if we feel it's got merit to take it further."

XABV4DFXVNFMFEDFTTCGJXSXYE.jpg

The All Blacks and the Kangaroos could face-off. Photo / Photosport
New Zealand's professional rugby resumption has, meanwhile, allowed NZR to save 25 per cent of its workforce. During lockdown NZR expected to shed half its staff but Super Rugby Aotearoa's resumption, and the flood of crowds to the opening four matches over the past two weekends, has lifted the financial burden somewhat.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12343030

The unknown

Juniors
Would probably give the Kangaroos a heck of a lot more international recognition (if this goes ahead and they win of course)

The only thing I could see the All bleaks dominate is the rolling mauls. The rest of the rules favour the kangaroos and we’d probably dominate tbh

Chook Norris

First Grade
Would probably give the Kangaroos a heck of a lot more international recognition (if this goes ahead and they win of course)

The only thing I could see the All bleaks dominate is the rolling mauls. The rest of the rules favour the kangaroos and we’d probably dominate tbh
The rolling mauls would be everything though. I don't see how the other rules really benefit the Kangaroos that much

blue bags

First Grade
The rolling mauls would be everything though. I don't see how the other rules really benefit the Kangaroos that much
proposed rules, would be 8 tackles,mauls,limit, no lineouts, 14 a side , nrl scrums uncontested, and a few more changes

The unknown

Juniors

Would be advantageous for sure for the first 10-20 mins to the all blacks. But once they realise they don’t get to pause, touch engage every 2 minutes I’m sure they would tire a lot faster than the RL boys

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
NZ Kiwis to Meninga: “hey, we think we should have more tests. We are running out of money and i think it could be great for both of us.”

Meninga: “genius!!! Oi Karen, can you get the All Blacks on the phone? We gonna play a test”

Kiwis: “ummmm..............”

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Seriously though, the only way this can work is 1906 Northern Union rules:

- Play the ball, but marker can contest it.
- both teams retire 3 metres from ruck
- i dunno what we do for tackle limits (maybe introduce a “4 tackle-10meter repeat” rule from American Football)

RL players dont get dominated in the ruck and RU players dont get dominated as the retreat 10m for every tackle

taste2taste

Juniors
I would love this game to go ahead, if only to shut up the ignorant and arrogant rugby fans. They genuinely believe rugby and their athletes are superior and league is only played by those too dumb or not good enough to make it in rugby union.

Here's just 1 example from the comments section on foxsports.com

I just look at Union and AB's and they are just bigger and stronger. i.e Sonny Bill plays as a forward in League but only as a centre in Union, those forwards in Union would demolish League forwards. As for running game, Union ABs are kings of attacking running Union, they again would demolish a Kangaroos side

Last edited:

The unknown

Juniors
I would love this game to go ahead, if only to shut up the ignorant and arrogant rugby fans. They genuinely believe rugby and their athletes are superior and league is just played by those too dumb or not good enough to make it in rugby union.

Here's just 1 example from the comments section on foxsports.com

I just look at Union and AB's and they are just bigger and stronger. i.e Sonny Bill plays as a forward in League but only as a centre in Union, those forwards in Union would demolish League forwards. As for running game, Union ABs are kings of attacking running Union, they again would demolish a Kangaroos side

Lol

“kings of attacking rugby” would have as much potency as the Broncos in attack. There’s a reason why no half decent union player has ever cracked the nrl

Nerd

Bench
Without a play the ball the rules favour the Union players too much. They lose how the play restarts but otherwise keep their game intact. We lose the defence having to get back 10 m and this takes the extra fitness of the League players out of the game. Also the League players have to compete in a maul that most League players would never have done before.

Nerd

Bench
Former New Zealand rugby coach Steve Hansen has been consulted on constructing a set of rules to ensure a Kangaroos-All Blacks hybrid game would be a trans-Tasman sporting success.

The Courier-Mail has exclusively obtained the rules for the proposed Kangaroos-All Blacks showdown - dubbed ‘HISTORY’ - which would be played on Saturday, December 5 this year.

Hansen, the ex-All Blacks coach, has recommended a 14-a-side game - the perfect compromise between rugby league’s 13 players and the 15 which take part in rugby union.

Lineouts would be scrapped, while scrums would be non-contestable, league-style pack-downs to avoid the risk of injury for Kangaroos forward who do not practise scrummaging like their rugby counterparts.

A kick out on the full or a kick which finds touch would result in a scrum.

Once a player is tackled, there will be no play-the-ball as witnessed in rugby league. Instead, the hybrid fixture would see a ruck-and-maul style breakdown, where the ball carrier immediately plants the ball on the ground for play to continue.

The All Blacks and Kangaroos would have a maximum of eight tackles or ‘drives’ to hold possession. Once the last tackle is reached, the team in possession must kick or face an immediate turnover to the other side.

A try will be worth four points, with a possible bonus for a five-point try if the tryscorer touches down directly under the goalposts.

Penalty goals and field goals in rugby union are worth three points, but under the hybrid format, all goals, including conversions, would be worth two points.

Other key rules will be on the table for discussion if the NZR and NRL agree to the contest.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...d/news-story/d7495bbb40a2b58a8d5adf11a16cb637

flippikat

Bench
Seriously though, the only way this can work is 1906 Northern Union rules:

- Play the ball, but marker can contest it.
- both teams retire 3 metres from ruck
- i dunno what we do for tackle limits (maybe introduce a “4 tackle-10meter repeat” rule from American Football)

RL players dont get dominated in the ruck and RU players dont get dominated as the retreat 10m for every tackle

I think you have some good ideas. If a suitable set of rules can be found that creates a decent mid-way between games, it might just be the start of something big.

Sure, the codes won't merge overnight.. but the appeal of a trans-Tasman competition that has the spread of teams that the current NRL & Super Rugby NZ has is pretty tempting.. and would give AFL the chills...

taipan

Referee
As long as the players and the RL and Union head bodies each make a motza, after such a crap of a year,I'm all for it.You'd hope for at least $3m clear profit each.
Would sell out ANZ ,Tv and radio would pay a reasonable amount despite hard times, and sponsors would come on board.oOverseas Tv ??