What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Union General Discussion and Views

I thought I would set up a general news, views and discussion thread in this section, as there does not appear to be one (in recent times, at least). Even though I am a league tragic, I still like and follow the game of rugby. I am a fan of the following teams: Wallabies, NSW Waratahs, Eastern Suburbs (of course!), Gordon RFC, Beecroft Rugby Club and, in the UK, the Bristol Bears.

Your news, views and contributing discussion points are appreciated.

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
Most Kiwis in the provinces grow up liking both games (I played rugby on Sat and league on Sun for a number of years) so I've never got the have to hate one of you like the other. Although I hate Origin.

I follow the Magpies (Hawkes Bay), the ABs, and the Chiefs. Warriors and Kiwis in the league.

I grew up playing league, played a couple seasons of union as I went to a reputable school where we were expected to do so, went back to league right afterwards though. I like watching both, prefer league but can get behind a good game of union. Super Rugby doesnt do it for me though.

League: Broncos, Warriors, Kiwis.
Union: Counties, Chiefs, ABs.

T-Boon

Coach
Did people know that rugby was trialling a 50:22 rule?
Any feed back on how that went?

No idea T-Boon, sorry mate.

I am have gone off the Super Rugby quite a bit this season. The Waratahs are going like busteds and there is uncertainty around the future broadcasting arrangements. I actually look forward to the Sydney Shute Shield competition but, again, I am not sure what is happening in terms of the broadcasting situation. 7Two used to do it, so I don't know about this season. I follow Easts and Gordon in that, so hopefully I will get to a game or two (pending the Coronavirus situation of course).

axl rose

Bench
No idea T-Boon, sorry mate.

I am have gone off the Super Rugby quite a bit this season. The Waratahs are going like busteds and there is uncertainty around the future broadcasting arrangements. I actually look forward to the Sydney Shute Shield competition but, again, I am not sure what is happening in terms of the broadcasting situation. 7Two used to do it, so I don't know about this season. I follow Easts and Gordon in that, so hopefully I will get to a game or two (pending the Coronavirus situation of course).

Watched it regularly back in the early 00's. Good style of play and the Waratahs would regularly get 30,000 at games.

Too many teams, the talent spread thin? idk. The wheels fell off somewhere.

Dark Corner

Juniors
Just watched on record the 1st round Auckland Blues v Wellington Hurricanes in the Aotearoa comp and really enjoyed it with big crowd and the despite the referee blowing his whistle it still didn't stop the running game and some great tries as well and hardly a scrum in sight.

JJ

Immortal
RIP the great Andy Haden today - 69, too young... huge, and controversial, figure on and off the field

Dark Corner

Juniors
I'd like to see RL punt scrums but steal line outs.
Does rugby have some sort of copyright of line outs?
I think with the whole world in a so called reset then its prime time to get the codes together as Union is struggling so bad in Australia and League has to compete with AFL and the massive playing numbers of Soccer plus the Super League and Guinness Premiership plus club below are struggling big time.
Union definitely needs to change the laws and keep the line outs just get rid of the pointless scrums and be joy to see Wigan play Bath and co instead the same teams every year and that and same seeing Whitehaven play teams like Bedford and Cornish Pirates.

I'd like to see RL punt scrums but steal line outs.
Does rugby have some sort of copyright of line outs?
I've thought about it, and no IMO. One, it massively favours some cultures over others, two, it causes more rolling mauls, three, when the breeze is up, it makes a mockery of them as we saw in Llanelli last Saturday. Have a 7 on 7 play instead if line-outs.

Latest posts