What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All Blacks v Australia Kangaroos in historic cross-code match

The Great Dane

First Grade
As along as rucks and mauls are part of the rules the Kangaroos will struggle, they're just not built or trained to deal with that sort of play.

Honestly I don't see the point in these cross code games. People say think of the exposure, and they have a point to an extent, but every time these cross code games are talked about the rules are always rigged in the RU teams favour, and they almost always seem to be set up to show RU "beating" RL to as large an audience as possible.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I think you have some good ideas. If a suitable set of rules can be found that creates a decent mid-way between games, it might just be the start of something big.

Sure, the codes won't merge overnight.. but the appeal of a trans-Tasman competition that has the spread of teams that the current NRL & Super Rugby NZ has is pretty tempting.. and would give AFL the chills...

Yeah it'd be great, except that nobody would watch it because both groups of fans want to watch their favourite sport, not the other sport or some mutant hybrid that doesn't really reflect either RL or RU.

If you try to appeal to everyone, you will appeal to no one.

blue bags

First Grade
As long as the players and the RL and Union head bodies each make a motza, after such a crap of a year,I'm all for it.You'd hope for at least $3m clear profit each.
Would sell out ANZ ,Tv and radio would pay a reasonable amount despite hard times, and sponsors would come on board.oOverseas Tv ??
i read up to ,or over $50 million aus$ could be raised, shared

Dark Corner

Juniors
I think you have some good ideas. If a suitable set of rules can be found that creates a decent mid-way between games, it might just be the start of something big.

Sure, the codes won't merge overnight.. but the appeal of a trans-Tasman competition that has the spread of teams that the current NRL & Super Rugby NZ has is pretty tempting.. and would give AFL the chills...
It should of been like this at the start of the 20th century as it never sat right with me seeing the All Blacks play a lesser Australian Rugby team ( The Wallabies) and the same with the Kangaroos taking on the 2nd best New Zealand national Rugby team as both countries should of been playing the same code of Rugby and that should of been Rugby League.

taste2taste

Juniors
If this game happens I'll be putting my mortgage on the Kangaroos winning by 30+

The only way the All Blacks stand a chance is if the rules are heavily in their favour. Remember people .... Yawnion is a sport where the ball is only in play for 36 minutes a game ....ZzZzZzzzz

blue bags

First Grade
If this game happens I'll be putting my mortgage on the Kangaroos winning by 30+

The only way the All Blacks stand a chance is if the rules are heavily in their favour. Remember people .... Yawnion is a sport where the ball is only in play for 36 minutes a game ....ZzZzZzzzz
but at the same time, you cant presume anything really, cause given time to prepare , train, anything is possible
we are talking about full time, well paid professionals here, who dont like losing

Dark Corner

Juniors

Read a comment on The Roar that All Blacks have the advantage as they have played together a lot for a long number of years while the Kangaroos have not and were beaten by Tonga.
A better match but not as lucrative would be the Roosters v the Crusaders and the Roosters would win that ?

Chook Norris

First Grade
Shame this game may happen now and not 4 years ago when the Roos were actually more active as a team and not a shadow of their former selves.

I'd put my money on the ABs winning with the current team and mauls..

Chook Norris

First Grade
I doubt it'll happen. Though, the NRL Facebook page posted about it and NRL.com have also gotten into the action. You wonder if they're a bit more serious this time.

Dark Corner

Juniors
Shame this game may happen now and not 4 years ago when the Roos were actually more active as a team and not a shadow of their former selves.

Union fans going on about the Kangaroos would get murdered by scrums yet ain't even the Union lot getting sick of this age old dinosaur practice ?

Dark Corner

Juniors
I like the idea but also need to unify Australia together and have a half time entertainment with Barry Hall v Gallen doing a Human Cannonball contest but no returns.

taste2taste

Juniors

I disagree. The rules that have been put forward ( no scrums, no line outs and 8 tackles/mauls) are heavily in favour of the Kangaroos. The kangaroos won't even bother contesting the mauls while the all blacks have the ball, they'll fan out and defend for 8 mauls, with no 10 meters the all blacks will be going backwards with the ball :D

I agree the Kangaroos aren't as good as recent years but the All Blacks are also a shadow of themselves from a few years ago. They were awful in last years world cup.

Kangaroos to win by a cricket score.

Dark Corner

Juniors
I disagree. The rules that have been put forward ( no scrums, line outs and 8 tackles/mauls) are heavily in favour of the Kangaroos. The kangaroos won't even bother contesting the mauls while the all blacks have the ball, they'll fan out and defend for 8 mauls, with no 10 meters the all blacks will be going backwards with the ball :D

I agree the Kangaroos aren't as good as recent years but that All Blacks are also a shadow of themselves from a few years ago.

Kangaroos to win by a cricket score.
After watching the Blues and Hurricanes game in Rugby Union Aotearoa which was a fantastic game of Rugby Union but even then the players didn't have a clue and only 3 I think scrums all night it was fantastic.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I'd rather see some sort of BS hybrid match between RL and AFL just to see at least one AFL player try and cope a hit from Sivo or DWZ like from last week

Dark Corner

Juniors
I'd rather see some sort of BS hybrid match between RL and AFL just to see at least one AFL player try and cope a hit from Sivo or DWZ like from last week
No as they tried that back in the day in 1870s, before WW1 and in 1933 and it didn't work.
The AFL states really should of went with the FA..Soccer.

Matua

Bench
Union fans going on about the Kangaroos would get murdered by scrums yet ain't even the Union lot getting sick of this age old dinosaur practice ?
No, scrums are awesome. Re-sets aren't. This game couldn't be payed with proper scrums unless the Kangaroos had two years to learn how to do it properly. When they played those mixed games in the 1990s they basically had uncontested scrums.
Hybrid rules are silly, but they're the only way to play it and TBH I'm not really interested in watching that as I like both games and don't want to see a bastardised version of both.

I like how @taste2taste is an old school us v them - yawnion will never compete kind of guy, it's such 80s thinking. The Kangaroos would never be able to handle proper rucking, you can't just fan out, and conversely the ABs would struggle with the getting back after the tackle.