What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will be the Warriors new coach?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
A
RE Walkers; neither is currently coaching, they left Ipswich to take the year off (originally I think it was going to be just one? but both ended up going). Keiron Lander is the current coach (he was captain of their premiership team).

Stacked.. nah. 1 of those guys (Kurt Capewell) is a regular first grader 5 years on. Only 1 other guy made an NRL debut - Matt Parcell, 21 games between Broncos & Manly and has been in the Super League ever since. It was a little above average for the QRL, but by no means stacked - the Blackhawks were the stacked team that year.

Almost every year there they outperformed their roster - and some of those rosters were baaaad. Doesn't mean they'll do it at NRL level... but you've undersold their Ipswich run there.

Agree to disagree.

Little bit off topic but whoever comes into coach hopefully they grow the club recruiting and development from within NZ. So often in recent times we’re seeing so many young players coming through who’ve all grown up in NZ but are now plying their trade across the tasman. Which leads me to my point ...... my son came home from school today (NZ) saying a 15yr old schoolmate and league 1/2 back is leaving school at years end to join top Sydney club and go to school in Sydney. I’ve seen this boy since he was 9 playing in my boys team and he’s a star. Speed, strength, time and loads of each of them. Sonny Bill was picked up as a 15yr old while at MAGS and left for Aus. It’s these stars i want to see talent ID’d and brought into the Warriors fold. What we’re doing currently is obviously wrong and has been for a long time. I know coaches need to recruit quality now to win today, but in my eyes, developing a recruitment long game is right up there as one of my biggest priorities.

Agree we need local talent to be spotted and we want them to play for the Warriors.
But the pathway in Aussie must look more appealing, not only the development of playing tougher players in a tougher competition and better coaches, but you can also be spotted by a lot more clubs than one.
Then there is also living in Aussie vs Auckland.
Can we also financial support them like Aussie clubs?

Need that promotional video "I want to be a Warrior" ASAP
Might need some archive footage.

Diesel

Referee
TBH I don't care if a coach is unproven or not, that's a dumb limitation to put on a hiring process unless a genuine top coach is available (and there isn't).

Having said that it's a big no no no NO to the Walker Brothers. Even ignoring the fact that only one of them is still coaching, their brand of football got them a newspaper article and a premiership with a pretty stacked roster a few years ago but really SFA since.
And the following season, other teams figured out how to beat them

Diesel

Referee
Whatever happened to Richie Blackmore, he was highly rated around the time Kearney got the gig

jaseg

Juniors
And the following season, other teams figured out how to beat them

Could be that, could be losing their 7 best players... they got an adequate replacement for just 1 of them. It really can't be overstated how bad their resources were.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
My preference is Anthony Griffin. I completely hear what jase (I think, or was it sup) said about 19 of the last 22 coaches and their credentials - and Griffin being a long-time coach who hasn't won anything at two clubs, therefore history says he won't. But his win percentage as a coach is very good. Am I right in saying he's missed the finals once as a coach, in 2013? (I know it was the Broncos who trailed off badly under him, but he inherited Bennett's poisoned chalice). He's hard nosed, I think we need that change of scene to get rid of the dead wood shit like Iro, some of the old faces around the club and completely start again with a new approach.

Not as much sold on Toovey.

LeagueNut

First Grade
For any potential Warriors coach we shouldn't care about the results they've had, we should only care about how they've gone about achieving them.

Whether we like it or not, we're a unique club. We have that Kiwi culture (not the bro culture we keep hearing about), we have a different vibe, we have a different requirement for getting the best out of us.

Is that right or wrong? No, it just is.

Some "hard nosed" coaches might come over here with the mindset to make our players conform to the Aussie ways, which would be great if they played for an Aussie club, but they don't. I'm all for clearing out the dead wood but the new wood will quickly die as well unless it's properly brought through in our unique environment.

That doesn't mean we'd develop "softer" players who haven't come through the rigid Aussie structures. It just means our systems are different and any new coach needs to recognise that. Sure, make improvements where they're needed, but make them in an appropriate way.

Some coaches have figured out the secret and achieved the magical combo of strong performance while retaining the core club culture and values. That's the type of coach we need to be aiming for and I don't think it makes any difference whether they've coached 0 games or 1,000 games, it comes down to having someone who can adapt to get the best out of us instead of following a traditional "one size fits all" approach.

Leber

Bench
Upon reflecting, I’m not ‘that’ against brown. But he’s still the least preferred of Those three.

I think griffin is our man. Maybe Toovey. If desperate, brown.

Not entirely keen on the other blokes.

Rich102

Staff member
The coaching issue is a puzzle. The club needs to make the correct choice. There are more things to be decided than just who the coach is going to be.

Let's look at our current roster:

Eliesa Katoa 2024

David Fusitua 2023
Ben Murdoch-Masila 2023

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2022
Ken Maumalo 2022
Agnatius Paasi 2022
Chanel Harris-Tavita 2022
Wayde Egan 2022

Tohu Harris 2021
Bunty Afoa 2021
Karl Lawton 2021
Jazz Tevaga 2021
Hayze Perham 2021
Leeson Ah Mau 2021
Adam Pompey 2021
Jamayne Taunoa-Brown 2021
Eliesa Katoa 2021
Josh Curran 2021
Kodi Nikorima 2021 (PO 2022)
Rocco Berry 2021 (Development Contract)
Paul Turner 2021 (Development Contract)
Tom Ale 2021 (Development Contract)
Israel Ogden 2021 (Development Contract)
Tyler Slade 2021(Development Contract)

Nathaniel Roache 2020
Leivaha Pulu 2020
Adam Blair 2020 (PO 2021)
Gerard Beale 2020
Peta HIku 2020
Blake Green 2020
Isaish Papalii 2020
Adam Keighran 2020
Taane Milne 2020
Lachlan Burr 2020
Patrick Herbert 2020
Jackson Frei 2020
Selestino Ravutamada 2020 (Development Contract)
Jack Murchie 2020

I make it 31 players and 6 under development contracts. (I thought the squad was limited to 30 players)

14 contracts expire at the end of this season. (Blair has an option for next season)

Now it starts to become obvious why Kearney was let go before seasons end.

I have heard it said that Peter O'Sullivan was having trouble attracting overseas players here to play under SK. So the coaching issue really has to be resolved before new/existing players are signed.

Robinson has stated he wants to make the club a success. You can't do that without good players.
The quality of the coach is going to reflect in the quality of the players he can attract. Hence I can't see the club venturing beyond a proven coach.

(Part 2 follows)

Rich102

Staff member
Part 2.

To add to the recruitment problem is the problem of falling membership. Fans are voting with their feet.
So a good coach is a must.

There is one candidate who stands out as having the experience and Mana to make a success of things.
Wayne Bennett. However he is committed to South Sydney for 2021. I don't know if he would commit to coming for 2022 on. He can attract players and is widely experienced in squad selection and salary cap management. The club could go for him and leave Todd in place for next year.

I am sure after the cock up over giving Bellamy an ultimatum fans would be prepared to wait for Bennett.

Griffin and Toovey are both strong candidates. Both know what they are doing, would attract players and also, probably, bring their own support staff and assistants.

Shaun Wayne may attract UK players, a source that has been proving valuable lately.

We must have quite a bit of salary cap available. So if we appoint a good coach and still can't recruit well then we are in serious trouble.

Looking on the bright side; the only way is up.

Add new meaning to the catch phrase "All in".

TheDMC

Bench
Most of those 14 on last year of contract aren’t worth keeping. Hiku and Herbert keep, maybe Murchie, Burr and Frei though I don’t really have a sense of their quality yet. Rest replace! And yep, proven coach will be key to replacing them with some quality

TheDMC

Bench
Most of those 14 on last year of contract aren’t worth keeping. Hiku and Herbert keep, maybe Murchie, Burr and Frei though I don’t really have a sense of their quality yet. Rest replace! And yep, proven coach will be key to replacing them with some quality

well Burr I do, I think worth keeping he goes okay.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
In terms of the likely candidates, I’d be happy if we got Griffin, Toovey or Wane. The latter is a bit of an unknown but has a lot of potential upside. Our history with English players is rubbish and should be a lot better. In theory we should at least be able to compete with the Aussie clubs on level terms for them.

Benek

Juniors
players should not be given a say as to who the coach is.
I don't know. Really marquee players that you build a club around might be worth consulting. RTS for one. Certainly don't care what guys like Blair and Jazz think.

Not that you want them throwing their toys out the cot over coach choice - they can't think they're running the club. But I don't see too much harm in consulting the most senior players. Even if a mostly empty gesture it makes them feel like they're not shut out in the dark.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
With Todd Payten promoted to an interim head coach role, Jones has taken on extra responsibilities, particularly with the team's attack.

"Stace is having more of a voice, which is really good because Stace is a rugby league icon in New Zealand," Blair said.

"He has a lot to offer and the more we can hear from Stace, especially our young boys coming through and our halves, it helps those guys out on the field."
Interesting.......

Same link as above

Latest posts