What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All Blacks v Australia Kangaroos in historic cross-code match

taste2taste

Juniors
No, scrums are awesome. Re-sets aren't. This game couldn't be payed with proper scrums unless the Kangaroos had two years to learn how to do it properly. When they played those mixed games in the 1990s they basically had uncontested scrums.
Hybrid rules are silly, but they're the only way to play it and TBH I'm not really interested in watching that as I like both games and don't want to see a bastardised version of both.

I like how @taste2taste is an old school us v them - yawnion will never compete kind of guy, it's such 80s thinking. The Kangaroos would never be able to handle proper rucking, you can't just fan out, and conversely the ABs would struggle with the getting back after the tackle.
Why couldn't the Kangaroo's fan out and defend ?
Under the proposed rules each team gets 8 mauls, so why would the Kangaroos bother contesting the breakdown if they know they will get the ball back in 8 tackles ?

Everyone says they have zero interest in this game but if it happens I guarantee you'll all be watching ;D

Matua

Bench
Why couldn't the Kangaroo's fan out and defend ?
Under the proposed rules each team gets 8 mauls, so why would the Kangaroos bother contesting the breakdown if they know they will get the ball back in 8 tackles ?

Everyone says they have zero interest in this game but if it happens I guarantee you'll all be watching ;D
To be honest, your comments suggest you have no idea how rugby is even played.

Are you talking about mauls or rucking? If the Kangaroos don't defend a maul the attackers could go the length of the feild holding the ball.

Even if you're talking about rucks, you can't think of them like a league ruck/play of the ball. It's easy to get a roll on if a defending team is fanning out. Eventually the defenders will be drawn in. You're straight up dreaming if you think the Kangaroos can dominate that style of play.

taste2taste

Juniors
To be honest, your comments suggest you have no idea how rugby is even played.

Are you talking about mauls or rucking? If the Kangaroos don't defend a maul the attackers could go the length of the feild holding the ball.

Even if you're talking about rucks, you can't think of them like a league ruck/play of the ball. It's easy to get a roll on if a defending team is fanning out. Eventually the defenders will be drawn in. You're straight up dreaming if you think the Kangaroos can dominate that style of play.
I'm sure a league defensive line can handle an 8 tackle set of break downs :D I haven't seen anything more complicated than ' catch and pass' in rugby, it'll take more than that to trouble a 14 man defensive line. If the All Blacks run a typical slow and predictable union back line move the Roos will be lining up to put a hit on, half the All Blacks will finish the game with a rearranged rib cage.

If each team is given 8 tackles the game won't be won by rucks and mauls, it'll be won by who can take advantage of open spaces and that's where the Roos will cut the All Blacks to shreds. The big slow ponderous AB forwards won't be able to touch Teddy, Turbo, Addo-Car, Ponga...etc

We'll have to wait and see what happens on Dec 5th.

I'll be putting my life savings on the Kangaroos winning 30+

Edit: I'm basing the above purely on the proposed hybred rules, IMO they are too in favour of a league game. IF the game happens under those rules it'll be a carve up.

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
I'm sure a league defensive line can handle an 8 tackle set of break downs :D I haven't seen anything more complicated than ' catch and pass' in rugby, it'll take more than that to trouble a 14 man defensive line.

If each team is given 8 tackles the game won't be won by rucks and mauls, it'll be won by who can take advantage of open spaces and that's where the Roos will cut the All Blacks to shreds.

We'll have to wait and see what happens on Dec 5th.

I'll be putting my life savings on the Kangaroos winning 30+
Would you put your life savings on the game even going ahead first?

I do like your blind optimism though, you clearly have as much knowledge about rugby as I have about AFL (I've never seen an entire game).

taste2taste

Juniors
Would you put your life savings on the game even going ahead first?

I do like your blind optimism though, you clearly have as much knowledge about rugby as I have about AFL (I've never seen an entire game).
Thank you for your condescending response, I wouldn't expect anything else from a Union fan. I've watched and played plenty of Union, I know exactly what I'm talking about.

You're turning this into the tired old rugby Vs league debate. Also using the tried old primary school line "because I said so" lol I've listed why the game wouldn't be competitive, you haven't .

I'm basing my comments on the proposed hybrid rules that were listed back on page 1. Have a look and tell me if you think there's any way the All Blacks could be even the slightest bit competitive. IMO they need more rules that emphasis power and slowing the game down for it to be competitive.

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
You're turning this into the tired old rugby Vs league debate. Also using the tried old primary school line "because I said so" lol I've listed why the game wouldn't be competitive, you haven't .

I'm basing my comments on the proposed hybrid rules that were listed back on page 1. Have a look and tell me if you think there's any way the All Blacks could be even the slightest bit competitive.
You turned it into it with your B/S comments about how much the Kangaroos would win by and how you'd bet your house on it. You haven't listed why it wouldn't be other than your belief that the Kangaroos could constantly fan out, you're interpreting the '8' drives/rucks/tackles/mauls as the same as a current league tackle which they wont be.

Defending a static play of the ball, and defending a constantly moving turnover of the ball is a lot more different than you 'analysis' relies on.

taste2taste

Juniors
You turned it into it with your B/S comments about how much the Kangaroos would win by and how you'd bet your house on it. You haven't listed why it wouldn't be other than your belief that the Kangaroos could constantly fan out, you're interpreting the '8' drives/rucks/tackles/mauls as the same as a current league tackle which they wont be.

Defending a static play of the ball, and defending a constantly moving turnover of the ball is a lot more different than you 'analysis' relies on.
We'll have to agree to disagree.
I think it'll take a lot more than rolling mauls to win, especially if that means the ABs will have to select heavy plodders in their forwards. It won't be hard for Cam Smith to move them around, tire them and take advantage of a gassed forward pack.

The game won't happen but if it did I'll be watching :D

Matua

Bench
We'll have to agree to disagree.
I think it'll take a lot more than rolling mauls to win, especially if that means the ABs will have to select heavy plodders in their forwards. It won't be hard for Cam Smith to move them around, tire them and take advantage of a gassed forward pack.

The game won't happen but if it did I'll be watching :D
Without scrums and lineouts the ABs would just select loose forwards and a few fit hookers so wouldn't need too many heavy plodders.

How much life savings do you have? If it did go ahead I'd take the bet on the 30 points.

Valheru

Coach
I disagree. The rules that have been put forward ( no scrums, no line outs and 8 tackles/mauls) are heavily in favour of the Kangaroos. The kangaroos won't even bother contesting the mauls while the all blacks have the ball, they'll fan out and defend for 8 mauls, with no 10 meters the all blacks will be going backwards with the ball :D

I agree the Kangaroos aren't as good as recent years but the All Blacks are also a shadow of themselves from a few years ago. They were awful in last years world cup.

Kangaroos to win by a cricket score.

I might be misunderstanding the proposed rules but if they didn't contest the maul couldn't NZ just perpetually move forward until progress is stopped?

taste2taste

Juniors
Without scrums and lineouts the ABs would just select loose forwards and a few fit hookers so wouldn't need too many heavy plodders.

How much life savings do you have? If it did go ahead I'd take the bet on the 30 points.
Deal ! :D if the game happens I'll give you my details so you can pay me my winnings :D

Dark Corner

Juniors
Maybe the All Blacks could just play the Wallabies under League rules as I like to see that not as much of a money spinner as Kangaroos game.

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
Wouldn’t the all blacks be disadvantaged if there was no maul and line outs , it would essentially then be a league game , and with extra player on the field , the kangaroos defence would be even better .

can I point out I lost 5 minutes of my life trying to read some of the comments on the roar forum. I thought there supporters were supposed to be educated, but it seemed all the comments were from 5 year olds

blue bags

First Grade
Has anyone from within RL, apart from the people who thought up this joke game, actually come out in support of it?
yes Wayne Bennett supports the game, roosters boss nick politis says no, he wont let his roosters players be involved , and another nrl coach said no aswell

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
This story gets recycled every few years and never happens. This time it is particularly galling as it is a slap in the face to the number 1 ranked NZ Kiwis. It's probably a slap in the face to the Wallabies too but I don't really care about that, may they die a slow painful death.

P.S. this idea only ever gets floated when Union is struggling and needs a leg up.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Pfft, this is all just so dumb and short sighted (no surprised, given Mal is behind it...)

The Roos should be organising a 3-match series against the Kiwis, you know something that would actually benefit the game long term. This concept is about as clever as Mal’s idea to have the Roos do a pointless tour in England and play against clubs!!

if we wanna see how the allblacks would go, just buy the team and make em play league

Latest posts