What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 v Roosters

Coffs dragon

Bench
The only positives I took from last nights game where:
Dufty, Lomax & RAV4 - seem to have found their place in the team & have been strong
Laurie, Kerr & Ford - on the rise, but need far more game time
Cam McInnes - continues to be our best & carries a huge defensive load

The negatives seem too long to list, but the obvious are:
Norman - reserve grader along with K.Sims
Merrin - lost his mojo and ability to offload
Aitken - a hog with the ball that runs sideways on the inside
Clune - ignored with the lack of ball coming his direction
Hunt - looks like he doesn’t want to be on the field & no confidence
Bench Rotation - continues to be shit after 7 years
Head Coach - confirmed f.ckwit & the catalyst to our major problem (Him)

Kylez3

Juniors
This is the issue with dropping Norman. I don’t think Clune is dominant enough to run the show with Sailor.

Didn't you watch any of the Canterbury Cup games last year with Clune and Sailor in the spine? He was extremely dominant... hence the extremely high amount of try assists and line-break assists (combined total over 50)

This is all Mary's gameplan and Hunt/McInness/Norman shafting him deliberately due to ego.

BLM01

First Grade
I missed the first half last night and was looking forward to a big finish from the Red V. However, too many dropped balls cost us - that and the fact that the Rorters are in great form at the moment,

People at work were telling me that we'd get thumped by the Rorters and my response was that we would make a go of it and lose by 10-20 which, considering the shellackings Easts have handed out in recent weeks and our past form, is relatively good,.And we did make a real go of it, just ran out of puff.

I'm enjoying watching Clune at 7 and Dufty at 1 - they give us a bit more of an attacking edge. Saab didn't impress me much - especially his "challenge"for that kick leading up the last Rorters try but he will get better. The forwards need a bit of mongrel. Unfortunately, the source of that mongrel is having his day in court and will then probably ditch us for the Warriors or Tigers. I say bring young Blacker in and put Sims and Merrin under notice.They're yesterday's men.

And, for what it's worth, I reckon we might surprise the Raiders next week.
Not bad.....but your last sentence....dont think so.
The surprise was our 1st half last night...no going back we have reached our season peak. 2 1/2 wins in a a row.

BLM01

First Grade
Sims and Merrin were useless last night. Really sad to see how their game has crumbled in 2 to 3 years, and believe it or not i don't blame baldy for this. Part of the cleanout should include them . Pity we dont have Canterbury cup as some of our players are getting complacent . Blocker though had one of his better games. Thought McInnes take some bad options from DF and missed some vital tackles ( understandable when you make 40 others ! )

Next week Sailor in for Norman, keep Ford ( how many minutes did he play ? ) and Host in and drop Simms and tell Merrin to pull his finger out.
And we learn from Robbo last night Roosters had 14 fit men. Issac Liu broke his ribs in the 1st half taking the ball out from the in goal when we trapped him in there.
It just keeps getting better and better our 2nd half performance.

BLM01

First Grade
Vaughan wouldn't have blown out a candle during that little chat with Young.
Our most impactful front rower rotated at the wrong time while the Easts front rowers ran riot.
Pre determined rotations with no feel for the state of the game.
100% right. Coaches that cant coach during the course of a game.
We have the worst offender by far and we were up against one of the best at doing just the opposite

Willow

Assistant Moderator
We were the better team in the first half. Completions were close to perfect.

Morris's try for Easts was a double movement. Lomax's try for us should have been an eight point try. In the second half, how Morris didn't get penalised for tackling Norman in the air is a mystery.

But they simply muscled up better in defence in the second half. Our completions suffered and Easts were better when it mattered.

Dufty's passing game is just getting better and better. Classy stuff. Worried that he'll mistime one and it'll be an intercept and six points conceded. But he's giving us plenty atm and the opposition still haven't worked him out.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
No....when does Lomax mean Ramsay!
@Dragonsamy was talking about giving we should give Hayden Lomax a go at lock or 9 and my reply was for that
Ramsay is back at training and 4-6 wks away from likely proper contact stuff or even ready for selection
People make mistakes mate, Ramsey has a shoulder injury so thought you meant him and got the name wrong. All good nobody died in the writing of this comment.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Didn't you watch any of the Canterbury Cup games last year with Clune and Sailor in the spine? He was extremely dominant... hence the extremely high amount of try assists and line-break assists (combined total over 50)

This is all Mary's gameplan and Hunt/McInness/Norman shafting him deliberately due to ego.
Yeah I’ve seen heaps of his CC games. Seen heaps of Jai Fields too. Not saying he won’t make it but against the Rorters, Raiders and Eels probably not games to thrust him as the chief playmaker.

jeffdragon

Bench
And of course the penalty kick for the line that did not go out and they scored in the final couple of minutes. I haven't read all of the posts in this thread but just in case no-one alluded to the first Roosters try by Morris, he seemed to think in himself that he double moved the ball over the try line. To me it looked like a double movement. So yeah, a few lucky breaks for the Roosters, but some unlucky injuries as well.
Yes thought it was a double movement.
I'd like to see how Trent Robinson
Would go at the titans.
You have to have the cattle.
He does at the rorters(No it isn't a spelling mistake).
Somehow he woudnt be at the titans.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

Morris's try for Easts was a double movement. Lomax's try for us should have been an eight point try. In the second half, how Morris didn't get penalised for tackling Norman in the air is a mystery.

But they simply muscled up better in defence in the second half. Our completions suffered and Easts were better when it mattered.

Dufty's passing game is just getting better and better. Classy stuff. Worried that he'll mistime one and it'll be an intercept and six points conceded. But he's giving us plenty atm and the opposition still haven't worked him out.
The good thing with his improved passing and kicking is that it should improve his running game too. Now teams will have to be ready for a kick or pass so it will open up the dummy and go and they won’t be able to rush up on him as much. Maybe he could do some sessions with EA.

Dragon David

First Grade
I missed the first half last night and was looking forward to a big finish from the Red V. However, too many dropped balls cost us - that and the fact that the Rorters are in great form at the moment,

People at work were telling me that we'd get thumped by the Rorters and my response was that we would make a go of it and lose by 10-20 which, considering the shellackings Easts have handed out in recent weeks and our past form, is relatively good,.And we did make a real go of it, just ran out of puff.

I'm enjoying watching Clune at 7 and Dufty at 1 - they give us a bit more of an attacking edge. Saab didn't impress me much - especially his "challenge"for that kick leading up the last Rorters try but he will get better. The forwards need a bit of mongrel. Unfortunately, the source of that mongrel is having his day in court and will then probably ditch us for the Warriors or Tigers. I say bring young Blacker in and put Sims and Merrin under notice.They're yesterday's men.

And, for what it's worth, I reckon we might surprise the Raiders next week.
Very good Number of the Beath. A lot of positives with what you said and you just never know, we might just get that win over the Raiders at both our home ground - Campbelltown.

Even though we were beaten by the Roosters last night, our guys did dig in for a good deal of the time, just the usual loss of possession, 6 agains stuff and other mistakes cost us (one being not covering Keary all night). Our guys should have learned a great deal from the game which hopefully will transfer to the game against the Raiders. Just need to make a couple of changes and ram home to the players to mark your man and back up in each set for second phase off load movements.

Dragon David

First Grade
The only positives I took from last nights game where:eek:pefully the training will continue until he masters it -
Dufty, Lomax & RAV4 - seem to have found their place in the team & have been strong
Laurie, Kerr & Ford - on the rise, but need far more game time
Cam McInnes - continues to be our best & carries a huge defensive load

The negatives seem too long to list, but the obvious are:
Norman - reserve grader along with K.Sims
Merrin - lost his mojo and ability to offload
Aitken - a hog with the ball that runs sideways on the inside
Clune - ignored with the lack of ball coming his direction
Hunt - looks like he doesn’t want to be on the field & no confidence
Bench Rotation - continues to be shit after 7 years
Head Coach - confirmed f.ckwit & the catalyst to our major problem (Him)
I was amazed to see how Rava took all of the catches and did not spill the pill in tackles. He must have done a fair bit of training on this last week and hopefully he continues to train on his catching until he masters it (ok a couple of drops maybe).

TruSaint

Referee

Yes.

The fact that we completed so well, and that within 25 mins, they were down to 15 players would suggest we needed more points on the board.

At 10 a piece, I felt the Chooks would step up and go on with it.

Agree re Dufty, he has pleasantly surprised me. Long may it continue.

What we don't have in any halves combo is what Luke Keary displayed yesterday. Vision and adapting to what's in front of you, rather than sticking to the script.

His kick to Morris, and then the solo run under the sticks were class with a capital C. Watching him and seeing how much time to had to look at the defence and alter his original play to suit the moment is the difference between the contenders in this comp, and teams like us whom like yesterday can put in a decent shift ( with almost a perfect completion rate for 40), and still come up well short.

At the minute, Clune needs more time, Norman unable, and Hunt seemingly unhappy being on the bench.

Yes thought it was a double movement.
I'd like to see how Trent Robinson
Would go at the titans.
You have to have the cattle.
He does at the rorters(No it isn't a spelling mistake).
Somehow he woudnt be at the titans.
A good roster still needs a competent coach. Not only at training but on game day as well.
McGregor has had a great roster for at least 3 years during his tenure including the "Team he always wanted".
The one we have now isn't too dusty either.
By comparison, we have crashed and burned and Robbo has won 2 titles as is looking like a third this year..
Everything in relative.

TruSaint

Referee
A good roster still needs a competent coach. Not only at training but on game day as well.
McGregor has had a great roster for at least 3 years during his tenure including the "Team he always wanted".
The one we have now isn't too dusty either.
By comparison, we have crashed and burned and Robbo has won 2 titles as is looking like a third this year..
Everything in relative.

Robbo's post game presser said everything you need to know about his mindset and why he is a winner.

Questioned about the surface, he reverted back to his "team" and brushed off excuses. Left that to the "experts" on grounds. He was succinct, focussed, talked about his pride and challenges ahead and thats it. No BS or hyperbole.

I wasn't sold on him a few years back. Simple, I was wrong. He seems to me to be the type of coach players would walk on fire for. Great squad of course, but he has been able to get the best out of each and every one of them.

Let alone making the Moz brother look 10 years younger.

Losing yesterday would have been acceptable by most. Not so for him.

Last edited:

Latest posts