What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jim_57

Staff member
AwFuL can also see the potential in the City of Logan, which has 326,000 and growing. The Lions@Springwood Social Club in the northern suburbs of Logan collects $5 million in profit from the local community and is using some of it to fund the Springwood Pumas fumbleball club. The vacant land at Cronulla Park on the corner of Compton Rd and Kingston Rd at Slacks Creek has been given to the fumbleball club. That land woild have been perfect for a rugby league club such as the Magpies, but the bludgers at the QRL sat by and let AwFuL beat them to the punch. Springwood is currently undergoing a transformation to make it the city's CBD and Cronulla Park is within walking distance. There's the Springwood Busway nearby which is being extended to Loganholme. It would have been the perfect place to build a 25,000 stadium for a future NRL club.

Huge walk to the nearest train station from memory, ideally any 2nd Brisbane stadium would be accessible to rail and bus in my opinion. Like you say the ship has sailed though.

Huge walk to the nearest train station from memory, ideally any 2nd Brisbane stadium would be accessible to rail and bus in my opinion. Like you say the ship has sailed though.
Trinder Park is the nearest station. The Logan City Council could shuttle buses from there to Cronulla Park.

Work on the Cronulla Park Masterplan has not begun yet, so there's still time for the ARLC to make a counter bid that's too good ro refuse. A team there with a massive Leagues Club would really hurt the Lions@Springwood Social Club.

jim_57

Staff member
Trinder Park is the nearest station. The Logan City Council could shuttle buses from there to Cronulla Park.

Work on the Cronulla Park Masterplan has not begun yet, so there's still time for the ARLC to make a counter bid that's too good ro refuse. A team there with a massive Leagues Club would really hurt the Lions@Springwood Social Club.

Thinking more that walk involves some pretty decent hills too so they'd need something.

Which of the potential Brisbane2 teams could be based there though? Only really falls in Western Corridor and Firehawks target areas.

Thinking more that walk involves some pretty decent hills too so they'd need something.

Which of the potential Brisbane2 teams could be based there though? Only really falls in Western Corridor and Firehawks target areas.
Firehawks. Easts have subdistrict clubs in Springwood and Rochedale South/Priest Dale.

The 2nd Bris club will be based at the Suncorp, NQAT. Talk of anywhere else is fanciful
I have no doubt they will put it at Lang Park as there is no other suitable stadium. If they want to get the most out of a second club they would be better served putting it in the southeast and letting the Broncos serve the northwest.

T to the T

Juniors
Why would they be best served out if the suburbs for a 2nd club? Both Perth and Adelaide AwFuL clubs play in the same centralised location.

Maybe in a decades time, a 3rd side could be Ipswich/Logan or Redcliffe/Moreton Bay based, but before then a 2nd team needs to be Suncorp based. Doesn't the Firehawks bid kind of represent the south of the river anyway?

Why would they be best served out if the suburbs for a 2nd club? Both Perth and Adelaide AwFuL clubs play in the same centralised location.

Maybe in a decades time, a 3rd side could be Ipswich/Logan or Redcliffe/Moreton Bay based, but before then a 2nd team needs to be Suncorp based. Doesn't the Firehawks bid kind of represent the south of the river anyway?
That's where I would put the Firehawks. They already have subdistrict teams in Springwood Tigers and Rochedale Tigers, so it is their territory. The motorway and busway cuts right though this area, too. Perfect location for people to access by car and bus.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Vlandy's doubling down on the 'rusted on AFL states' comment recently is really damaging for the game. How does making alienating comments help draw fans outside of our traditional base to watch the NRL? How does it help garner sponsorship dollars or future support for expansion bids? I don't understand what he is trying to achieve with those comments.

Also, does he realise that Melbourne is in the NRL and is one of the highest rating, hightest attended clubs and has one of the highest membership in the league?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Vlandy's doubling down on the 'rusted on AFL states' comment recently is really damaging for the game. How does making alienating comments help draw fans outside of our traditional base to watch the NRL? How does it help garner sponsorship dollars or future support for expansion bids? I don't understand what he is trying to achieve with those comments.

Also, does he realise that Melbourne is in the NRL and is one of the highest rating, hightest attended clubs and has one of the highest membership in the league?

Like I said before he is saying what he thinks the masses want to hear, regardless of the stupidity of it. Trump 101. Either that or he is totally rogue and just gets an idea and blurts it out without any thought of consequence. He doesn't seem to be a stupid man so I would suggest it is probably the former.

jim_57

Staff member
He did the right thing acting quickly moving the Storm out of Victoria

To be fair I'm sure governments and the sports would be talking about the situation well before announcing anything. V'landys wouldn't have just had a 6th sense that QLD was about to make their changes, the NRL & Storm would have known well before any of us.

Good move by the NRL and Storm regardless, but the game is pretty fortunate the outbreak is in Victoria not NSW or QLD.

jim_57

Staff member

This reminds me of what you'd hear half cut yobbs in the pub say. V'landys definitely has done some good things but saying needless stuff like this that directly insults a potential fanbase is ridiculous. He's obviously doing it to please people like I mentioned, who already support the game, it's like he's trying to be one of the boys for the average punter.

Can you imagine any other sport's chairman saying this stuff?

mongoose

Coach
Like I said before he is saying what he thinks the masses want to hear, regardless of the stupidity of it. Trump 101. Either that or he is totally rogue and just gets an idea and blurts it out without any thought of consequence. He doesn't seem to be a stupid man so I would suggest it is probably the former.

well he was talking up how important Fox is to the NRL.... while on a 100% footy, a Channel 9 show lol
he has a style...

jim_57

Staff member
He's come up with a line to sell the decision made by the broadcasters for an extra team.

Why would he need to run down one potential expansion area to talk up another? Talk up Brisbane all you like but dismissing Perth when he could have just said "we have plenty of other options we'll look in to as well" or something similar is pretty amatuer.

Perth Red

Post Whore
He's come up with a line to sell the decision made by the broadcasters for an extra team.

You can build without burning. Any good leader would have said the nrl is excited at growing the game and sees Brisbane as the first step in that vision. No need to mention anywhere else at all, let alone pss off stakeholders who have invested millions in the game. It was pure stupidity for no good reason other than to boost his appeal to the brain dead. Something he seems to do in his ceo role as well.

T-Boon

Coach
I haven't heard anything but what did he say that was so insulting? "rusted on AFL state" isn't an insult to WA or SA.
If this just means we are fixing Sydney, Brisbane and NZ first then great.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I haven't heard anything but what did he say that was so insulting? "rusted on AFL state" isn't an insult to WA or SA.
If this just means we are fixing Sydney, Brisbane and NZ first then great.

"Wasting money", "wasting" being the insulting word. It implies that there is no point in investing to grow the game outside its heartland.
At first I thought it was just a brain fart moment in his quest to gain support as he came into the chairman's role by announcing his preference for Brisbane2 expansion. But now he has doubled up on it a few months later with exactly the same phrase. It's pointless stupidity that damages the game for no good reason. Especially with the Vic Govt just investing $10mill in a new centre for VicNRL and WA Govt spending millions on NRL events and SA Govt spending big on Origin for first time.

Last edited:

Latest posts